Films with a unique style or format

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
What films do you think stand out because of the style or the way they are filmed.

Things like Stranger than Fiction where the main character's life is narrated and he begins to hear the narration as it happens.

Or Doom when it goes into POV mode like the game

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memento - story told backwards. Its a classic !
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
    Tron
    Sin City
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Sin City, the movie equivalent of Brad Pitt and Jennifer Annistons love child.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Memento - story told backwards. Its a classic !
    Irreversable is similar in that the scences are shown in reverse chronological order.

That's more the kind of thing I was thinking rather than just visual effect although i'm not saying visual effect can't be standout.
    One of the examples I gave was POV effect :D
    Rec is POV also.

I mean Avatar could be listed as it was the first major film in a new generation of 3D films.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Track of the Cat": shot in colour but everything in it is black and white apart from Robert Mitchum's shirt.

"Wicked, Wicked": shot in DuoVision which split the screen vertically for the whole movie giving two different viewpoints throughout. Needless to say it didn't catch on.

"Rope": shot in what appears to be a single take. The visual equivalent of holding your breath for 80 minutes.

"The Lady in the Lake": shot from the hero's POV so we never see his face until he looks in a mirror.

"Brainstorm": whenever anyone uses the brain recorder the screen expands into extreme widescreen format. Great at the cinema but on tv not so much.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    "
    "The Lady in the Lake": shot from the hero's POV so we never see his face until he looks in a mirror.
    For some reason just reminded me of Smack My Bitch Up :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    For some reason just reminded me of Smack My Bitch Up :D

B 52.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I'd say Napoleon Dynamite and (500) Days of Summer have a unique style, but I don't quite know how to explain either of them...
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blade runner
    the iron giant
    domino
    Forum Member
    I'd say Napoleon Dynamite ...
    Clunky, uncormfotable style - just like the title character?
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I love Napoleon Dynamite, I wouldn't say it had a unique style. It was just odd and quirky like so many other films.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    A Scanner Darkly was filmed as per a normal movie and then rotoscoped into an simplistic animation.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

All is now clear.:)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that the Studio Ghibli films within an animated context with notable examples being Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and Ponyo. They have a unique narrative approach to them that is different to that of Hollywood animated films. For instance, they will touch upon unique themes that adults can empathise with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    Children of Men
    District 9
    Serenity
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before it was widely copied, Tarantino's style of long dialogue driven scenes, frequently populated with pop culture references - both real and fictional - was pretty unique in the 90's.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Before it was widely copied, Tarantino's style of long dialogue driven scenes, frequently populated with pop culture references - both real and fictional - was pretty unique in the 90's.

While I get what you mean, please define 'unique'. The dialogue is peppered with references to actors, TV, news, music, theatre, authors, etc. This dialogue-driven film isn't the first to do so either. :D
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    While I get what you mean, please define 'unique'. The dialogue is peppered with references to actors, TV, news, music, theatre, authors, etc. This dialogue-driven film isn't the first to do so either. :D

Well, nothing in cinema is really 'unique' anymore is it, I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, and I did say '...in the 90's'. I'm aware there were plenty such films prior to Tarantino, particularly in the the 70's, but I feel they fell out of favour in the high-concept 80's (MDWA being the exception that proves the rule ;)).
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Run Lola Run. Three different versions of the same time period. Brilliant film too.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run Lola Run. Three different versions of the same time period. Brilliant film too.

Amen. Funny and sexy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sliding Doors.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Well, nothing in cinema is really 'unique' anymore is it, I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, and I did say '...in the 90's'. I'm aware there were plenty such films prior to Tarantino, particularly in the the 70's, but I feel they fell out of favour in the high-concept 80's (MDWA being the exception that proves the rule ;)).

In that case, I agree with you. My dislike for Tarantino's signature began during that period because almost every spec script we saw had insanely long dialogue chunks with oh-oh-ironic pop references. The trend returned to life after every Tarantino (and in fairness, Roger Avary) release during mid-1990s and early 2000s. Naturally, this gave some a few hours' worth of heavy drinking and bitching bitterly about copycats, especially those who did it badly. The others tell me it still happens and that it's now known as the Tarantino Effect. :D