Options

Any news on when Kathy Beale returns to Walford?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
other than 'later in the year' ?

im finding eastenders somewhat tedious again and to be honest this is the only thing im looking forward to. the suspense is killing me ! :o:o

Comments

• Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Hold tight. I'm sure we've got a good few months to go.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they'd get a move on!>:(.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    other than 'later in the year' ?

im finding eastenders somewhat tedious again and to be honest this is the only thing im looking forward to. the suspense is killing me ! :o:o

I think you're going to have a long wait.

Wjilst i'm sure DTC has the explanation for her rising from the dead sorted in his head (he'd be very foolish if he brought her back without that) none of the other writers knew she was coming back so no storylines have been worked out. They held an emergency storylining conference the week after the anniversary. Following on from that they need to work out detailed plots, then commission scripts, then get it filmed 8 weeks in advance of transmission. That whole process is likely to take a good 6 months which ties into the rumour that Taylforth will start filming in the Summer for an Autumn on screen return.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will the big Easter story.. Coinciding with Jesus being resurrected
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Following on from that they need to work out detailed plots, then commission scripts, then get it filmed 8 weeks in advance of transmission.

I've got three books on EE, 'The Inside Story' from Oct 1987, 'The First Ten Years' from Feb 1995, and '20 Years in Albert Square' from Feb 2005. The Julia Smith/Tony Holland Book 'The Inside Story' mentions that an episode is filmed six weeks before BBC1 gets it.

I also saw on YouTube last year, a VHS recording of a 1986 documentary on the making of EastEnders, which was shown in the Autumn of that year.

They said that an episode of EE is filmed six weeks before. They were filming an episode that would be shown in the middle of April, during the first week of March. They had to put plastic Daffodils in, in the 'Square Gardens', and make it look as though there were leaves on the trees, too. That was around the time Lofty and Michelle got engaged.

Edit - Found the documentary. Here it is, if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_y6uVQMvLM
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I think you're going to have a long wait.

Wjilst i'm sure DTC has the explanation for her rising from the dead sorted in his head (he'd be very foolish if he brought her back without that) none of the other writers knew she was coming back so no storylines have been worked out. They held an emergency storylining conference the week after the anniversary. Following on from that they need to work out detailed plots, then commission scripts, then get it filmed 8 weeks in advance of transmission. That whole process is likely to take a good 6 months which ties into the rumour that Taylforth will start filming in the Summer for an Autumn on screen return.

Oh poo >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I've got three books on EE, 'The Inside Story' from Oct 1987, 'The First Ten Years' from Feb 1995, and '20 Years in Albert Square' from Feb 2005. The Julia Smith/Tony Holland Book 'The Inside Story' mentions that an episode is filmed six weeks before BBC1 gets it.

I also saw on YouTube last year, a VHS recording of a 1986 documentary on the making of EastEnders, which was shown in the Autumn of that year.

They said that an episode of EE is filmed six weeks before. They were filming an episode that would be shown in the middle of April, during the first week of March. They had to put plastic Daffodils in, in the 'Square Gardens', and make it look as though there were leaves on the trees, too. That was around the time Lofty and Michelle got engaged.

Edit - Found the documentary. Here it is, if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_y6uVQMvLM

I've also got all those books (bought them at the time) and back when it started it was only an hour a week so they could have a shorter gap. They now have to have more time to eidt due to the greater number of episodes.

The filming can be fluid, location work tends to be filmed further in advance than set stuff and they can film inserts late on but generally 8 weeks is about the standard now. As an example, Danielle's death was due to be filmed on 2nd February 2009 and had to be postponed due to the lvery heavy snowfall in London that week. Her death was transmitted 2nd April - exactly 2 calender months and a little over 8 weeks.

In actual face, even when it started sometimes they'd film further ahead for big events and to allow the production to close down for holidays - for example I remember Gill Taylforth appearing on Wogan in November 1986 stating that she'd got into a panic that she'd done nothing for Christmas when they filmed the Christmas episodes only to be reminded it was still October.

ut even if we went with 6 weeks between filming and transmission, it will still take several months to get detailed storylines and scripts in place before they can even start filming it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Oh poo >:(

I might be wrong but having known several people that work on soaps as either storylines or script writers, 6 months is usually the minimum turn around time from initial planning to ending up on screen and this is such a huge deal, they don't want to risk it going wrong by rushing it.

Plus, i'm sure i've seen the Summer mentioned somewhere as her full return date.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a article the other day she not even under contract yet, so I think we're looking a lengthy wait, I think dragging this out to near the end of the year is too much, hopefully it not that long but around summer time is when motions are set into action for the build up to Xmas, it's normally when we get a idea of what the s/l will be.

I hope that we actually get some guest appearances from her before her full return just to give us a better idea and so it's not entirely forgotten by viewers!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing it will be at the start of September
  • Options
    heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be slightly awkward when she's on screen with Ian, seeing as she now looks younger than he does. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it will be at the start of September

Yes that is what i think too. They usually try and do something pretty big storyline wise in September to launch what used to be known as the 'Autumn Season' to get viewers back after the Summer Ratings lull caused by holidays, good weather and much more Sport.

I would frankly be amazed if we see her in any significant capacity before September.