Musings on a Sunday evening

Comments

• StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem now is that I'm not really a fan of DOI, I prefer SCD, but I'm going to have to watch it so that I can fully appreciate JfW's brilliant musings :eek:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read, as always JfW
  • ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,467
    Forum Member
    ... thank you, thank you, thank you ....

Just logged on for my regular lunchtime read and can't tell you how pleased I was to spot your "Musings" threat John :D:D

I'm another who adored your Strictly commentary and will be back every week without fail to see how you, Mrs JfW, the cat and the hopefully defrosted hamster enjoy DOI

:D

hello, I'm another one who loved your SCD Musings and have just found this thread

I don't usually watch DOI, but I shall watch it now, so that I know who you are talking about :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

hello, I'm another one who loved your SCD Musings and have just found this thread

I don't usually watch DOI, but I shall watch it now, so that I know who you are talking about :)

Crikey, now I'm pulling in viewers for ITV - wonder if I can get on the payroll? Perhaps I could get a free comfy chair from DFS.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, now I'm pulling in viewers for ITV - wonder if I can get on the payroll? Perhaps I could get a free comfy chair from DFS.

You should get in touch with some of the newspapers or magazines - you could get paid for doing a blog for them! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too bothered about DOI. Can't cope with the audience screaming, but I'm just going to have to watch it now, so I can appreciate your musings all the more. Have missed them since Strictly finished, so thank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too bothered about DOI. Can't cope with the audience screaming, but I'm just going to have to watch it now, so I can appreciate your musings all the more. Have missed them since Strictly finished, so thank.

I know just what you mean about the audience screaming, but it doesn't seem so bad this year...:)
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Ahhhh, JFW.... You, are a fine example of what at critique is all about. Full of fun and vigour, and not an ounce of who and why people should vote for the latest victim on the popularity contest.

You give us, the reader/viewer a totally humorous, yet, in some ways unbiased appraisal of the show. You may indeed wax lyrical to the one that showed the most promise/talent, which from where I was sitting and shouting at the screen happened to be Ray, but you don't force it down your readers throats. And that my fine young man, is what makes you so utterly enjoyable to read.

And for the love of god / chocolate, or indeed wine, get yourself out there in the critique world for gods sake!! You'd be brilliant, and I for one would pay to see your written observations in hard back print!

You must be a scream around the dinner table; and no, I don't just mean your 101 uses for ajax either!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18th January

It's a bit 'Wham, bam, thank you mam' this show, don't you think? We zip through a spicy opening number with a svelte and ageless Jayne T and we only just have time to say hello to everyone before an important message from our sponsors. Still, it gives me time to reflect on the fact that it's Girls' Night tonight and we have six tip-top, state-of-the-art, class A celebrities to dazzle and entertain - and I've heard of two of them.

First dibs go to Roxanne Pallet and Daniel. She's fighting for my attention because I'm still reeling from the shock of Karen Barber's dress which seems to have been salvaged from a pelmet. She's quite foxy, our Roxy, but there's little drama in a gentle start where she spends half her time with her skates off the ice. She's pretty and she's smooth, though, and there seems little to justify Jason's opinion of 'very stunted lines' and 'terrible execution'. Typically his 2.5 points is the smallest contribution to a respectable total of 15.

Second on the ice we have Melinda Messenger with Fred. As a devotee of both DOI and SCD I have long held to the belief that these are skating/dancing competitions. One glimpse of Ms Messenger in a sparkly leotard however and I'm convinced she should be around for the final. This leads me to believe that I am either a) Shallow and morally lax, or b) A liberal free spirit, open minded enough to adapt to new ideas. I'm leaning heavily towards b) but, when I propose this to Mrs JfW, a resigned sigh and a skyward glance suggest an alternative train of thought.
    Melinda starts with some nice lifts where she controls her lines well, she wobbles a bit in the middle and then recovers to finish with aplomb. Amongst the judges, Ruthie likes her 'gorgeous upper body' (well, duh) and thinks she's 'a joy to watch' - I've always liked Ruthie. I have no idea what Jason was watching but remarks like 'messy presentation' and 'clumpy landings' reduce him to the status of least favourite judge and leave me far from gruntled. 15.5 points and she's leading by, well, a nose I guess.

What's not to like about Coleen Nolan? Proving that there's life, wit and no little glamour after 40 she's already a winner in the JfW household. Skating with Stuart she produces a gentle number with no fireworks but no mistakes either. When she's finished she expresses relief that it's over but she makes you laugh when she does it. 12.5 points is about par. 'Everything's nice' said Robin, and he's not wrong.

Next up it's Zoe Salmon with Matt. Blimey, Blue Peter presenters didn't look like that when I was a kid; in those days the only thing sticky was the back of the plastic. This one's forgotten to remove her curlers and she still looks good. She does a much quicker dance with some great lifts and some proper skating on her own. At the end she's so excited you can't shut her up. "She reminds me of you" I quip dryly, only to be surprised at how much expression Mrs JfW can pack into a glance. Back on the telly, Nicky thought Zoe 'shone through a difficult routine' while, true to form, Jason felt it necessary to point out that 'your head was scrunched in the aeroplane lift' but then it is week one for the girl and she was being swung around by an arm and a leg at the time. Nevertheless, she sailed to the top of the class with a highly creditable 18.5 points.

Another stranger, Miss Gemma Bissix appears with big Andrei. A vision in pink, she seems very intense and packs a lot into a short time without making a lasting impression. My guess is that the intensity contributes to the nerves and it's all a bit disjointed but there's certainly scope for improvement. 'Good leg line, good turn out' said Robin. He knows his onions that lad but Gem looks disappointed with a score of 13.

We wrap things up with yet another blonde bombshell. This one's called Jessica Taylor, a pop singer (I'm told) and she's skating with Pavel. Slinky and elegant, she puts on a great show, does lots of skating on her own and looks like she's using her arms to look good rather than to stay upright. This girl's really good and deserves every one of the 21 points she accrues. Incredibly, while Nicky mentions the final, Jason blathers on about the absence of 'latina passione'. Oh, for goodness' sake.

The results show was memorable for several reasons. Twice Nasty Jasper went too far with his 'I call it as I see it' bluntness that threatens to take the edge off the fun. Even the cat reveals a previously unforseen expertise by stalking out in the middle of his 'cardboard cut-out' comment. Both Melinda and Gemma raise their games for the skate-off; Gemma's despondence at her defeat was touching and she didn't need the acid-tongued Fuhrer to rub salt into the wound. I'm slightly miffed but I'll be watching it next week, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Oh, thank goodness, now I can enjoy DOI. I didn't know whether you were going to do a "Musings" I'm so glad you did.

Thank you so much. It enhances my viewing experience, not to mention giving me a huge laugh.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JfW

I am another one who thoroughly (but silently, I'm sorry to admit!) enjoyed your SCD musings and am absolutely delighted to see you on the DoI thread.

Fantastic take on things - amusing as always and (as usual) I am in complete agreement with everything you say.

I am only sorry to have been so backward in coming forward to tell you how much I love and enjoy your lyrical waxings (and how incredibly funny you are - not to mention utterly insightful!!!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm the same, I'm nowhere near as hooked on this as Strictly, but if JfW's is doing his musings then I'll have to watch. :)

I agree with Shuttermaze I'd love to see your critiques given a wider audience.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    Great take on the evenings events :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,332
    Forum Member
    John another amazing and funny blog :D :cool:

Nice to see Mrs JFW taking a larger role too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you like Coleen JFW :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Your assessments hit the nail on the head everytime. 100% correct and honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member

Don't let them palm you off with one of those horrible mucky brown cord numbers they're plugging in the ads John! ;)

BTW - I think I'm getting a bit obsessive about this :eek: .... halfway through Sunday's show I found myself musing - 'this is a bit ho-hum, not much material for JfW to work with this week...?'

Needn't have worried though; great review as always
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for another fab musing, JfW
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another cracker JfW! :D

I can understand why you are drawn to Melissa and loved this bit about Zoe (maybe she reminds you of the divine Miss C?) ;)

This one's forgotten to remove her curlers and she still looks good. She does a much quicker dance with some great lifts and some proper skating on her own. At the end she's so excited you can't shut her up. "She reminds me of you" I quip dryly, only to be surprised at how much expression Mrs JfW can pack into a glance.

The last bit was very brave of you to say to Mrs JfW!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,542
    Forum Member
    One glimpse of Ms Messenger in a sparkly leotard however and I'm convinced she should be around for the final.

Ruthie likes her 'gorgeous upper body' (well, duh)

"She reminds me of you" I quip dryly, only to be surprised at how much expression Mrs JfW can pack into a glance. Back on the telly...
    a pop singer (I'm told)

:D:D. Best Bits!!!

One of your best this week :). Keep it up :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    Well, I gave up with DOI last week and have decided not to watch it anymore, but thanks to your musings I am now up to speed without having to sit through all the shouting, adverts and tears. Cheers :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end she's so excited you can't shut her up. "She reminds me of you" I quip dryly, only to be surprised at how much expression Mrs JfW can pack into a glance.

I'm a bit concerned, can you still walk? More importantly - can you still TYPE??? :eek:

You rescued my Monday, THANKS JfW!! xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JFW thank goodness you back to get me through this!

Will you in the absence of the Saintly Wogan muse on this years ESC it may take you time but I feel it would be worth it. I can grovel if needs be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very funny again this week John.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Fantastic as always JFW great to see you on here.