Options

The Contest is so EPIC these days

LiammaiLLiammaiL Posts: 55
Forum Member
Is it just me or is Eurovision so much more epic these days.

Production values, staging, music, half time acts

Everything has just been incredible the last few years.

2014 and 2015 have been another level brilliant for me.

2014 is my fav contest ever with 2015 a close second.

Comments

• Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenting is terrible now on quite a regular basis, too much campiness and bad humour. The camerawork was shoddy at times this year.

The overall production though is bigger because of so many places taking part and there is more technology available compared to pre-21st century. The danger is that the technology becomes more important than the songs. As was said in another thread at least the songwriters got some credit in the earlier days, it was more a song contest.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in some ways it's a shame because songs no longer win, gimmicks and epic stage productions win.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree completely, the production values are astonishing these days

I would say too the overall standard of singer and song seems to have gone up as well in recent years. We seem to be well ahead of where we were about ten years ago. Perhaps the two semi final system and the introduction of juries has contributed to this, we nearly always seem to get a strong Grand Final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two semi system gave a greater choice. But I don't think juries are any guarantee for better songs qualifying.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in some ways it's a shame because songs no longer win, gimmicks and epic stage productions win.

I thought this while watching the Final this year. It's as much a "Eurovision Staging Contest" as it is a song contest these days. Perhaps another reason the UK performed so poorly in recent years - the BBC attempts at staging look amateurish in comparison.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voters aren't voting on the staging. It's just a matter of impressive and appropriate staging making a song stand out. They could change the competition into a European sales battle where each country has its top 10 based on the number of sales in that country. The scoreboard would probably change a little but ultimately the winner would most likely be the same and I'm fed up of anyone insisting otherwise.

In 2015, the year so void of gimmicks, the contest is as much a song contest as it has ever been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    I thought this while watching the Final this year. It's as much a "Eurovision Staging Contest" as it is a song contest these days. Perhaps another reason the UK performed so poorly in recent years - the BBC attempts at staging look amateurish in comparison.

Definitely. Last year the song was ok really, but the staging was bad as it has been for years from the BBC.

Songs have won more because of good staging than anything else, the 2 Swedish winners are good examples. Though I thought the Mans staging wasn't all it was cracked up to be, I guess enough like stick figure animation these days. It's all the more annoying that the organisers always give the Swedish entry extra time to set up.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    starry wrote: »
    Definitely. Last year the song was ok really, but the staging was bad as it has been for years from the BBC.

Songs have won more because of good staging than anything else, the 2 Swedish winners are good examples. Though I thought the Mans staging wasn't all it was cracked up to be, I guess enough like stick figure animation these days. It's all the more annoying that the organisers always give the Swedish entry extra time to set up.

But the last two Swedish winners have been huge hits across Europe irrespective of the staging, 'Euphoria' in particular was huge here in the UK, reached number 3 and was in the charts for 15 weeks, not to mention the fact that it sold 200,000 copies here. So obviously the quality of the songs has played a part because the public clearly liked the song. Recently DS had a poll of the best winner from the last 10 years and 'Euphoria' won by a landslide.

Perhaps the UK could have gained some extra points with better staging, but even so I doubt we would have troubled the left-hand of the scoreboard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still style over substance.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Still style over substance.

I doubt you'd be saying that if the UK won twice in the last 4 years and had 4 top 5 places. And you're telling me that Bucks Fizz and Brotherhood of Man had substance? Winners such as ABBA and Johnny Logan had actual talent.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Euphoria would still have won easily even if it had just been Loreen on stage with a hand held mic and a couple of backing singers. But who wants every song to be staged like that anyway, it's supposed to be a Saturday night entertainment show. I'm hopeful Sweden winning will encourage more staging gimmicks next year, we didn't have nearly enough in 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt you'd be saying that if the UK won twice in the last 4 years and had 4 top 5 places. And you're telling me that Bucks Fizz and Brotherhood of Man had substance? Winners such as ABBA and Johnny Logan had actual talent.

You obviously haven't read the many posts I've done on this board, I've never blindly supported any BBC entry. So your opening remark is a total fail.

Bucks Fizz did some decent songs, even the Eurovision effort was catchy I suppose. And Save Your Kisses For Me was definitely more catchy than Mans as well. The only way the winner this year will be remembered is for the screen he interacted with, but that didn't impress me either.