Options

Do English people get nostalgic about Italia 90?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I thought we were poor in 1990 until the semi when we were the better side. I get nostalgic about 1982. It was the first World Cup I saw with England in it. We won all three group games including against very good teams like Platini's France and a solid Czech side. Then in next group round, we drew with both the Germans and the Spanish but went out anyway because of the silly format.

We looked so comfortable, I wondered how we'd missed out on the last two cups! They changed the format after that. It was the last tournament where we didn't seem to suffer because of the pressure. We can only dream about such a performance these days!!

England had a tough draw though, the group played like a group of death, in the group England had Ireland who were good under Jack Charlton beat England in Euro 88, Holland who were European Champions had a great side with Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, & beat England in Euro 88, & Egypt who were tough side, fortunately everyone else in England group could only manage draws, so going into the last group games everyone was level on points, goal difference head to head, had Egypt equalised & the game finished 1-1, FIFA would have had to draw lots, as it happened Ireland & Hollands positions in the group were drawn by lots, Ireland got Romania, Holland got West Germany.

Belgium was a tough game in round 2, quite dull game until the end of extra time, Cameroon something else, they played with no fear, were leading 2-1 with 8 minutes left until they gave away a penalty, & gave another penalty away in extra time.

Can't believe 25 years ago on Saturday was the Semi feels like yesterday, England were the better team West Germany's goal was a lucky deflected free kick which looped over Shilton, before Lineker equalising, seem to remember good chances in extra time not taken then those penalties.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason my biggest memory of Italia 90 was an ITN report with a Cameroonian witchdoctor who said he would put cast a spell on England in the quarter final. Afterwards they went back to ask what went wrong, he didn't know but he would now use his powers to help England against Germany!