Options

I hope the Lionesses get a great welcome back.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The FA put them back in their place
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33416006
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    The over the top praise and mentioning them alongside the 1966 team and calling them 'legends' and 'ending the 25 years of hurt' is embarrassing. Then they say don't compare it to the men's game.

There were a number of things about the men's game that I missed during this tournament.

The cheating..... the diving..... the jostling of the referee.... the arguing with every decision.... the spoilt brat behaviour of the players and the filthy, obscene chanting coming from the stands along with the racism and the homophobia.

I especially missed all the 'masculine' the rolling around on the floor, clutching the face a la Dida at Celtic some years ago......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwL-xw7Zyk

Gotta love some of these examples of male sporting "superiority".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbEf6q8necE

And then there is the biting of opponents and the handshake refusals.... oh, lads, I do have to say that if you want some real handbags to wave at each other during the game, don't ask the girls if you can borrow theirs.

Women footballers leave their handbags in the dressing room.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were a number of things about the men's game that I missed during this tournament.

The cheating..... the diving..... the jostling of the referee.... the arguing with every decision.... the spoilt brat behaviour of the players and the filthy, obscene chanting coming from the stands along with the racism and the homophobia.

I especially missed all the 'masculine' the rolling around on the floor, clutching the face a la Dida at Celtic some years ago......

And then there is the biting of opponents and the handshake refusals.... oh, lads, I do have to say that if you want some real handbags to wave at each other during the game, don't ask the girls if you can borrow theirs.

They also leave tackling and the ability to string a pass together there too.

You seem like someone who doesn't like football at all and is just pretending to like women's football to make some passive-aggressive point against men.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,073
    Forum Member
    He is right though - the ladies did seem to have more respect for each other and the officials but then men players are allowed to get away with it all so won't stop.

Bit of a sweeping statement about the fans though!
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The goalkeepers seem to leave their ability to stop simple shots there too. The men's game does have its cheats and unsavoury incidents but it is incomparable to the women's game in terms of drama, intrigue, skill and importance.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member

England woman diving, complete with flailing hands and 360 degree rotation.

Diving clicky
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England woman diving, complete with flailing hands and 360 degree rotation.

Diving clicky

Yeah, that's about as blatant as it gets. And a really poor execution, too.

Still, it doesn't happen, apparently. They're all just so ruddy brave, don't you know?
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Let's have a closer look:

Houghton Foul

In case anyone thinks I've done anything more than the circles it was taken from here. About 4' 30".
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a clear dive.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite get why some people seem opposed to giving even the merest hint of praise to a team that has done very well for themselves, and the country that they were representing?

It seems like some sort of badge of honour to try and put them and women's football down as much as possible.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite get why some people seem opposed to giving even the merest hint of praise to a team that has done very well for themselves, and the country that they were representing?

It seems like some sort of badge of honour to try and put them and women's football down as much as possible.

For me I quite simply couldn't give a toss about women's football, I find it dull, way too slow and talentless for me to watch a full game. I don't feel that they have done my country proud, 3rd place, yay...

The BBC and whoever else can try and make the Women's World Cup to be something we've all been looking forward to when quite honestly we don't care one zip. Most people watched it because it's the off season and was the only "football" on offer. The "lionesses" will now go back to normal life (or being mum's as the FA Tweet said) being a nobody while everyone else forgets them and starts to look forward to the start of the real game in a few weeks time.

Like it or not that'll be the opinion of many people.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Let's have a closer look:

Houghton Foul

In case anyone thinks I've done anything more than the circles it was taken from here. About 4' 30".

It was a dive, one seen in the men's game every week. If it had been Rooney nobody would be calling it a dive either, but to say the women's game is free from it is wrong. It will only get worse (or perhaps the women's game could lead the way and stop it before it comes prevalent, assuming they can set their own rules).

For a dive that will give Robben some serious competition there's this girl Lavogez
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The verdict on anyone claiming it doesn't happen in the women's game is that they must have their head somewhere in cloud cuckoo land. That last link is unbelievable. I'd like to see how anyone can defend that unless they are forced to resort to the "men do it too" argument.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    It was a dive, one seen in the men's game every week. If it had been Rooney nobody would be calling it a dive either,

I get your point, but Rooney is the wrong example because anything that guy does is criticised.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No more so than the badge of honour you seem to display by disproportionately praising every single thing about Women's Football to the hilt to the point where you attack, insult and rubbish the Football Club you say you support in order to be seen to be a champion of women's rights or women's football or whatever cause you feel you are supporting by doing so.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Our #Lionesses go back to being mothers, partners and daughters today, but they have taken on another title - heroes."

This really does sum up why the FA is no longer fit for purpose. The women's team have done so much better than expected, better than "the" England team, and the under 21s who were pathetic again.

Rather than being athletes and people in their own right, the FA have to associate them with

1) Having a womb
    2) Being a partner to a man
    3) Being a daughter

Why didnt they use the term Heroine too?

#fanotfitforpurpose
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    "Our #Lionesses go back to being mothers, partners and daughters today, but they have taken on another title - heroes."

This really does sum up why the FA is no longer fit for purpose. The women's team have done so much better than expected, better than "the" England team, and the under 21s who were pathetic again.

Rather than being athletes and people in their own right, the FA have to associate them with

1) Having a womb
    2) Being a partner to a man
    3) Being a daughter

Why didnt they use the term Heroine too?

#fanotfitforpurpose

I might be in the minority but as a woman it doesn't offend me in the slightest!! Its saying no more than the truth. After how ever many weeks of playing in the world cup they're now going back to the their families etc etc.

The outrage and protection of women in this thread is way more offensive to me.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I might be in the minority but as a woman it doesn't offend me in the slightest!! Its saying no more than the truth. After how ever many weeks of playing in the world cup they're now going back to the their families etc etc.

The outrage and protection of women in this thread is way more offensive to me.

I think that the obvious message behind the tweet was that similar to many of the Olympic participants people who exceled in their chosen field returned home both as heroes but also to relatively normal roles in life as opposed to big stars who are pretty much full time sportsmen/women.

That said they should have been aware of how it would be received in many quarters.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to see diving, in a perverse way. It means we can get closer to criticising snide behaviour as well as mistakes rather than patting them on the head and wishing them jolly well done for their efforts considering they're just girls.

When you're slagging off footballers regardless of whether their genitalia is inny or outy you're getting a lot closer to equality.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That said they should have been aware of how it would be received in many quarters.

It was patronizing.

they are professional full time athletes, just like the men
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    It was a dive, one seen in the men's game every week. If it had been Rooney nobody would be calling it a dive either, but to say the women's game is free from it is wrong. It will only get worse (or perhaps the women's game could lead the way and stop it before it comes prevalent, assuming they can set their own rules).

For a dive that will give Robben some serious competition there's this girl Lavogez

I think it's fairly obvious that I disagree. I thought it was a foul on first viewing and I've seen nothing to change that opinion. Rather, it's been reinforced. Houghton may have made a meal of it but that doesn't make it any less of a foul. The Ref appeared to have a good view of it as well.

As for Lavogez, that was embarrassing. She should've been booked for that but I don't think she was.

Don't get me wrong. I know that all the 'tricks' go on the women's game. I've seen it at Regional and Combination League level.

@Cornish_Piskie

Didn't a German defender go down clutching her face in the 3/4 play off even though nothing had come anywhere near it?
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tweet was certainly ill judged, but I think it's harsh to criticise the whole of the FA as an organisation based on something that was sent out by some goon operating the twitter feed.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    The tweet was certainly ill judged, but I think it's harsh to criticise the whole of the FA as an organisation based on something that was sent out by some goon operating the twitter feed.

It's like soldiers on the news when you see their kids running into their arms & they say that they're back to being a dad again for a few months.

Usual outrage mongers. I don't know how they survive on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    It's like soldiers on the news when you see their kids running into their arms & they say that they're back to being a dad again for a few months.

Usual outrage mongers. I don't know how they survive on a day to day basis.

No need for widespread outrage, but I think it's understandable why, based on history and general societal conditions, these kind of characterisations are more of a touchy subject where women are concerned.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    The verdict on anyone claiming it doesn't happen in the women's game is that they must have their head somewhere in cloud cuckoo land.

Same as those who see the term "less often" as meaning "doesn't happen". Of course cheating happens in women's football, but there is, at least for now, less of it. I mean, when I used to go and watch Three Bridges Ladies FC back in the nineties (who were in the second tier of the top national divisions back then before they got relegated and folded), there was cheating going on then. It wasn't as much as when I used to watch Three Bridges men's team (Sussex County League Division One then, now in the Ryman League Division One South), but it was there, just noticeably less.

Don't worry, the more it goes on, the more professional it gets, the less the gap will become. Maybe those in authority should aim to curtail it now, even if to lessen the acceleration. Still, nobody worth their salt would say that there's no cheating, just that there is seemingly less of it. That's not because it's inherent in the women's game to be nice or whatever, it's more to do with the current relative low level that professionalism and its like have seeped in. It'll, unfortunately, change for the worse, then you can carry on your snide campaign on more surer footing...