Men - Do you count the calories?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
Forum Member
✭✭
For my AS Level coursework I am making a low-calorific chocolate bar brand.

I've been told the target audience is women for products such as KitKat Senses and Kinder Beuno.

But I want to create a twist theme on the brand and aim also at men. But do men really count the calories or would I just been waisting my time?

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do religiously and fat content and saturates too. The sugar isnt too high on my agenda but like to keep that down. Also I like to limit my salt intake too.

Lots of body-builders look at the calories and stuff. If you can make it a high protein low calorie bar then it will sell by the bucket load.
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes sort of. I need to make sure i consume enough calories each day to maintain my weight as i train a lot. Basically high protein and as little fat as possible is good for me :D.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call it Yorkie Lite.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, never. I haven't weighed myself in about a year either.

I am slim and do a lot of swimming and hiking. If I notice I'm putting on some
    weight I'll do more exercise and cut back on the beer/unhealthy food but I never
    actually count how many calories I'm eating or anything like that.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Low chocolate tastes revolting. Low sugar chocolate tastes even worse.

Chocolate is good for you in general. It raises serotonin so is good for relieving symptoms of depression. It is good for sex and improves the sex lives of women as it is a good cure for vaginismus.

Most fats are good for you.I don't do take aways as you have no control of the quality of the product.

I don't count calories as I would be chomping through lettuce like a dire ungulate if I did.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Call it Yorkie Lite.

Probably best if you lose the 'lite'. ;)
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just know - if I'm going out for a massive meal at night/ big drinking sesh I will eat light during the day kind of thing

weirdly I was thinknig about this today - my body hasn't changed much in the last month - I have drank a bit more than usual but not been too crazy with the food - but according to my wii fit i have put on 8 pounds in 2 weeks!!!!!

(I'm about 11 stone 3 according to Lii fit!)

My body looks totally the same - maybe a bit more muscle but not 8 pounds worth - I was really shocked - so this week no beer and more chicken salads! :D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No don't count the calories, just eat in moderation and don't over indulge on carbs or snack in between meals. I have actually lost two stone since last Xmas.
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started to count the calories in the last month or so and it's quite shocking how many calories are in supermarket food. I'm not obese but could lose a few pounds here and there, but the main reason I've started to count calories is that I find it interesting.

Does anyone know how many calories on average a man should ingest per day?

I think it would be hard to market choclate for men anyway, let alone one that is low calorie. Your much more likely to succeed with a low calorie lager or sandwich.
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I have to count calories or I blow up like a bouncy castle. If I'm trying to lose weight I cut myself down to 1800 calories between Monday to Friday and eat normally at weekends.

I'd love a proper low calorie chocolate bar but until then it's a Curly Wurly at 110 calories to make me feel as though I'm not missing out.

Edit: I only started counting calories in my late 30s when my metabolism slowed down. Prior to that I could trough whatever I liked and not put on any weight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magicmover wrote: »

I've been told the target audience is women for products such as KitKat Senses and Kinder Beuno.

But I want to create a twist theme on the brand and aim also at men. But do men really count the calories or would I just been waisting my time?

Ba-dum-tish!
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No man I know counts calories, unless he has to.

It certainly makes no difference in what chocolates or sweets I buy.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    I check the calories on everything I eat lately, and I'm not even trying to lose weight - I just like to know what the intake is to be sure that I'm not eating rubbish, and not going way over the 2000 a day mark e.g I was about to buy a pasta salad from the texaco garage after work, until I checked the back and saw that it clocked up over 1000's in the one portion, which is ridiculous.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I've never counted calories - it sounds like such a tedious thing to do.

I just eat when I'm hungry and only enough to satisfy me. Food tastes nicer that way.
    I'm also a bit of an exercise freak :o but mostly because I love team sports etc.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never paid much attention to calories, if I was to start putting on a bit of weight I'd just do a bit more exercise and cut back on the fattening stuff.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Call it Yorkie Lite.

Or Yorkie Max. It works for pepsi.

My oh would not touch a 'diet' drink, but he thought Pepsi Max was ok?
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do

The whole break down is important to me fat (+ types) protein content, low calories, low carbs etc.

I would say for me chocolate would have to be benificial to my gym workout, so high cocoa count, vitamins and added protein with low calorie would be the parts that would hook me.
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Probably best if you lose the 'lite'. ;)

replace it with Zero
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a calorie :confused:
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Nope, but then I would have no idea what to do, even if I wanted to.

Yet I am still losing weight, I think its fairly obvious to just eat less, and lose weight you don't need to count to do that.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I've never counted calories - it sounds like such a tedious thing to do.

I just eat when I'm hungry and only enough to satisfy me. Food tastes nicer that way.
    I'm also a bit of an exercise freak :o but mostly because I love team sports etc.

The part in bold is me.

I don't bother with the whole exercise thing, seems like too much effort, sure, I'm a little fat these days, but I don't care so much, and the doctor isn't that bothered:D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    magicmover wrote: »

Of course :D

I do like the Crunchie which at 185 calories with 7.7 grams of fat are the kind of statistics that I like! Common sense will tell you when you are over eating but I personally like to know what exactly is going into my body if that makes sense.

Currently a low calorie chocolate which wont melt is being developed by the scientists and you might want to have a look see at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jul/16/low-calorie-no-melt-chocolate

I think this product will be very successful if it makes it out of the lab and tastes half decent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. More people than I thought. That non-melting chocolate looks good. I'm always the one with sticky hands. :o
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    It's pointless counting calories. It's the kind of food you eat which is important. What we are always told these days holds true: not too much meat, tho' a little doesn't harm, far more fish and loads of fruit and vegetables and cut down on the pastries, cakes and sweets. Different foods with the same calorific value can be vastly different in your diet.
  • Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    It's pointless counting calories. It's the kind of food you eat which is important. What we are always told these days holds true: not too much meat, tho' a little doesn't harm, far more fish and loads of fruit and vegetables and cut down on the pastries, cakes and sweets. Different foods with the same calorific value can be vastly different in your diet.

So fish is not meat? :confused: