Celebrities who get an easy time from the press

Comments

• sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that in any way address the point that I made? You must admit that a lot of the 'plenty of lies' were invented purely to vilify the McCanns.

How about the McCann camp claiming the shutters were jemmied on the first night ( not true, but Phil McCann was all over the news with it), the sky news and bbc having a breaking news strap all day ,that KMcCann was offered a short sentence if she confessed.( not true, confirmed untrue by their Portuguese lawyer at the time). There have been so many stories planted by Clarence Mitchell,the spin merchant makes your head spin.

eta, I believe Clarrie also puts negative stories out to gain sympathy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The McCanns get an incredibly easy ride from the press, given their neglectful behaviour on the night and inconsistent stories since...

But as we are talking celebrities, the clear winner (probably forever) is Jimmy Savile. Even a year ago, most people were unaware of his deeds, but there's no way you'll convince me that the press didn't know. The biggest mystery remains of course - WHY was it covered up...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jolly old Jimmy even wrote about it in his autobiography and still got away with it...un bliiddy believable.

On a happy note Sinitta is now being reported as 49 yrs old, instead of 12. I miss that thread though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean the JS Revealed...? one, I think it was finally killed off in honour of the days when the merest mention of the phrase 'The Fixer' on here could kill a ninety-page discussion stone dead...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    If you mean the JS Revealed...? one, I think it was finally killed off in honour of the days when the merest mention of the phrase 'The Fixer' on here could kill a ninety-page discussion stone dead...:)

The how old is Snit threads are much safer.:o
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »

Yes, I remember that. It turned out we were right about him didnt it, but back then even on the blind items thread any hint about Savile being less than Saintly would get pages and pages deleted. I wonder why the media were so scared of him?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is and I can't think of a worse way to be punished than to lose your daughter ...can you ? :rolleyes:

But the law doesnt work like that.

The law is there to protect vulnerable people and children too.

Say if you, by neglect, starve your child to death, the law doesnt say that you should not go to jail because you have been "punished" by losing a child.

It says that you should go to jail because your actions have led to the death of a child.
  • Dandeman2010xDandeman2010x Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny you mention Jimmy Saville because I actually came on here to say that I'm finding Rolf Harries to have been getting a surprisingly easy ride throughout the recent allegations. When he was first arrested his name was kept out of the press (which I found strange ... not sure if everyone got this treatment) and even now he has been charged he seems to be treated relatively favourably ... no sordid details (in fact no details at all!). I know he's got close connections with the Royal family, could this be why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny you mention Jimmy Saville because I actually came on here to say that I'm finding Rolf Harries to have been getting a surprisingly easy ride throughout the recent allegations. When he was first arrested his name was kept out of the press (which I found strange ... not sure if everyone got this treatment) and even now he has been charged he seems to be treated relatively favourably ... no sordid details (in fact no details at all!). I know he's got close connections with the Royal family, could this be why?

Rolf apparently has very litigious (sp) lawyers who threatened all media outlets as soon as he was arrested the first time. Of course he'd already been named on Twitter so it was an open secret for a long time, eventually the media decided it was in the public interest to name him and did so.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    My problem with the McCann's is that their negligence has never been questioned by the media, ever. I can't help but feel that had they been a young, 20 something couple from a council estate who worked in a factory or a supermarket, then it would have been very different story. QUOTE]

The thing is, the media shouldn't be dragging any unfortunate couple whose child has gone missing through the mud, based on hearsay, speculation and half arsed stories. The McCanns had the education and connections to take some control of the situation. Other people unfortunately don't. But that doesn't make it wrong that the media were curtailed somewhat in what they were allowed get away with in relation to the McCanns. The wrong here is that people without the education, media savvy and financial means necessary to combat judgmental and speculative articles about them and their families just have to put up with it.
  • jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    Amaral talks a load of BS. He made more money out of the situation than the Mc Canns raised for their campaign.

I hope the Find Maddie campaign continues, and I will continue donating......my money, my choice .:p

All the big names have sweet-heart deals. They promise exclusives in return for positive-only coverage .
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunstone wrote: »
    *coughs* Carter Ruck.

Yep, this is why.

Max Clifford and his past will make interesting reading in certain newspapers - if he's convicted.

He has nothing to lose if he gets sent down, so I'd expect the contents of his safety deposit box to be leaked to the press.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Yes it is and I can't think of a worse way to be punished than to lose your daughter ...can you ? :rolleyes:

Actually I think Madelaine is the one who got punished.

But hey, at least her parents had a nice meal
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Branson and Cliff Richard. Although they are probably saints.

Gazza was without doubt a top footballer, but as with George Best some people have a blinkered view.
  • BrightStarBrightStar Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Brand Beckham
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I met David Beckham in the early days of his career at Man U . When arriving at Old Trafford he always had time for the fans, unlike other players who would push past and rush off without making eye contact or stopping for a photo or autograph. (some of them quite abrupt with people) DB would always smile and pose with the children, didn't say much but was polite and easy going and took his time making sure everyone who wanted one got a photo or an autograph, I think this is why he gets an easy ride now, he was a nice guy :)
    Forum Member
    Actually I think Madelaine is the one who got punished.

But hey, at least her parents had a nice meal

It's not a competition. Madeleine and her parents paid an enormous price for that mistake. The McCanns will continue to suffer the guilt, loss and pain for the rest of their lives. That is worse than any prison sentence.
  • queeniequeenie Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    The McCanns have been given the magic carpet of easy rides. They've very successfully spun their childcare routine as standard middle-class holiday practice, thereby encouraging the middle-class media to gushingly sympathise in the classic "there but for the grace of God" fashion.

But in truth there's nothing standard - or sympathetic - in leaving three children under the age of 4 unattended night after night after night.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the McCanns I feel there are things that are not straightforward (imo) about them/their story BUT which could also be explained away by a classic lost-in-translation farce after the whole fall-out.

It's like 9/11, between the many, many pro and anti-conspiracy voices all yapping in unison, the waters are now so endlessly and mightily muddied that whoever REALLY did it must be sitting back laughing that the press and public gifted the deed to them on a plate.

I feel the same about the McCanns, though I want to believe in the goodness of a seemingly alright couple who appeared to love their children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenie wrote: »
    The McCanns have been given the magic carpet of easy rides. They've very successfully spun their childcare routine as standard middle-class holiday practice, thereby encouraging the middle-class media to gushingly sympathise in the classic "there but for the grace of God" fashion.

But in truth there's nothing standard - or sympathetic - in leaving three children under the age of 4 unattended night after night after night.

They've been given a very easy ride, and I've not once ever seen a newspaper, magazine or news programme questioning why they did what they did on that holiday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They've been given a very easy ride, and I've not once ever seen a newspaper, magazine or news programme questioning why they did what they did on that holiday.

I agree with this. When the story first broke, I'd imagine most newsrooms were sharpening their knives, ready to ask the question that was (& still is) the elephant in the room. As soon as they discovered that they were of a certain 'status', they changed their tack.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffa Cole and the Beckhams.
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. When the story first broke, I'd imagine most newsrooms were sharpening their knives, ready to ask the question that was (& still is) the elephant in the room. As soon as they discovered that they were of a certain 'status', they changed their tack.

It was mentioned over and over and over in the newspapers. There were photographs and drawings on news programmes showing the distance between the apartment and the tapas bar. There were smug opinion pieces from journalists telling us what terrible parents the McCanns were. Where on earth do you get the notion that the press held back?
    They only became more guarded when they realised that the McCanns, unlike some of the other parents they had villified in the past, were prepared to take them on and had the education and wherewithal to do so.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna antics are applauded ; especially in the UK and I don't understand why :confused:.

Beyonce for example dont get an easy ride with the press. I'm not exactly a Beyonce's fan but I don't understand these double standards.