BBC obsession with Mrs Browns Boys

12345679»

Comments

• fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    IMO this show is the worst show on television and not worth the licence fee. Why should we pay for foreign (joint venture with RTE), unfunny programme.

The movie was quite good but the TV show is rubbish.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »

You must literally be the only person to think that. Even fans of the show said the film was weak.
    Forum Member
    You must literally be the only person to think that. Even fans of the show said the film was weak.

Well compared to the TV show it was Oscar winning. It would be better if the TV show was filmed on location in Dublin rather than Glasgow.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well compared to the TV show it was Oscar winning. It would be better if the TV show was filmed on location in Dublin rather than Glasgow.

This is something, even as a non-fan, I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on. From 'D'Movie' reviews (which totally should have been called 'D'Fillum' by the way, if they wanted the joke to make any sense) that I read the main criticism was that the show is ideally suited to a live audience studio format. Why the fact that it is filmed in Glasgow makes any difference to you I don't know, one soundstage with sets in it is the same as any other to me regardless of location. I'm not meaning to be a dick, but are you Irish? If you are I can kind of understand the thinking that hey, it's an Irish show, growing to be an international Irish institution so it should be filmed there. Other than that I'd be baffled.

Even though I'm not keen on MBB I wouldn't deny that it works. I didn't see the film but have, as of present, seen about 3 episodes and a bunch of clips and to me that kind of raucous knockabout comedy is absolutely dependent on a live audience. I think if it was filmed on location it would be absolutely dead in the water.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

| loved the movie, I honestly thought I wouldn't but the show works better in a live outdoor setting, it allowed the characters to expand in new surroundings.

Sometimes I feel the tv series could do with expanding from the three sets occassionally and maybe they could do an outdoor episode occassionally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO this show is the worst show on television and not worth the licence fee. Why should we pay for foreign (joint venture with RTE), unfunny programme.

Because some of us also pay a licence to watch shows we like and the money being made from this show more than pays for your £12 a month IMO.:p
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member

You'll be delighted to know that by partnering with RTÉ the BBC was able to reduce costs and still provide one of the most popular programmes on British TV.

I watched it for the first time over Christmas. Very funny!
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    My mother sent me a DVD set [for some weird reason she thinks I like it] and there is an outtakes disc. I love bloopers so gave it a look. From it, it is obvious who the boss and driving force is, and her name is Jennifer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    My mother sent me a DVD set [for some weird reason she thinks I like it] and there is an outtakes disc. I love bloopers so gave it a look. From it, it is obvious who the boss and driving force is, and her name is Jennifer.

She is his wife so it judging by a lot of marriages why would it be unusual for her not be the one in charge?
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    She is his wife so it judging by a lot of marriages why would it be unusual for her not be the one in charge?

True, but she is the director of the series too and takes no prisoners on set. She has quite a salty vocabulary as well, quite fond of the 'c' word.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why?
    I preferred the film to the TV show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    It topped the ratings last night, end of argument.

Who's arguing???
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Love the shows - although have to agree movie was weak.
    Long may the series continue IMO.👍
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    This is something, even as a non-fan, I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on. From 'D'Movie' reviews (which totally should have been called 'D'Fillum' by the way, if they wanted the joke to make any sense) that I read the main criticism was that the show is ideally suited to a live audience studio format. Why the fact that it is filmed in Glasgow makes any difference to you I don't know, one soundstage with sets in it is the same as any other to me regardless of location. I'm not meaning to be a dick, but are you Irish? If you are I can kind of understand the thinking that hey, it's an Irish show, growing to be an international Irish institution so it should be filmed there. Other than that I'd be baffled.

Even though I'm not keen on MBB I wouldn't deny that it works. I didn't see the film but have, as of present, seen about 3 episodes and a bunch of clips and to me that kind of raucous knockabout comedy is absolutely dependent on a live audience. I think if it was filmed on location it would be absolutely dead in the water.

I'm Scottish, if I was Irish then I wouldn't have criticised the BBC investing in joint oversea's (Irish Sea) ventures.

By on location I am meaning not being filmed on a soundstage. I liked how when the market was filmed it was actually outside etc. I liked how they filmed outside and on location. Outdoor scenes are not possible in Glasgow without losing sense.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ................By on location I am meaning not being filmed on a soundstage. I liked how when the market was filmed it was actually outside etc. I liked how they filmed outside and on location. Outdoor scenes are not possible in Glasgow without losing sense.

So you're referring to the film, presumably, and not the TV series at all?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    IMO this show is the worst show on television and not worth the licence fee.
    If this show was the only thing the LF paid for you might have a point. But of course it isn't so you don't.
  • dollyblue1dollyblue1 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Count this as one of those comedy programs I just don't understand. It's not the slightest bit funny, toss it in the 'why is this popular?' bin, along with Friends.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I take it haven't seen Harry Hill's Stars in Their Eyes?