Northern Lights (Iceland) - Anyone Been?

2»

Comments

• D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen them here in Aberdeen when they quite active. They will be much beter where you are going. Have a nice trip!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Weren't they visible over Manchester this last winter?

That does happen once or twice a decade but you have to be out in the Countryside open to the north to see them, town street lights 'drown' them.

I once saw them here in south Hampshire, in the early years of this Century, but I had to head out into the dark Countryside at midnight to see them after reports came in earlier. Marvellous sight, shimmering greens and reds, they went over half way up towards the zenith at times.

Have tried it a few times since then but have always missed the peak of activity, they can be seen sometimes for less than an hour down here so you have to be really quick, or live on say a north facing slope with dark skies.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Arnt they quite visible from the Very North of Scotland ?

Yes, although the further north towards the magnetic poll you go, the better.

These days many organised trips seem to centre on Iceland and Tromsø in northern Norway and western Skye in the UK is apparently a reasonable place to see them too.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to Tromso and loved it, although we only saw very faint light display. There was very heavy snow when we were there so of course you cannot see the lights. You can see the lights in the town centre if it is a good display, although of course it would be more mesmerising to see them in complete darkness.

The lights are very shy and you have to be really lucky to see them.

Yes it is very very expensive in all northern countries. The only thing we found to be reasonable in Iceland was coffee.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been myself but a friend has and it ain't half expensive there and the bus service (if you can call it that) is terrible.

Oh and if you eat out don't have a bottle of wine with the food, you'll need to take out a mortgage to pay for it.

Their bus service was amazing, especially considering the very icy roads. They do a good service which drops you off at the blue Lagoon on the way back to the airport. They also pick up from all the hotels. Really couldn't fault it in any way.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and what a fantastic experience it was visiting. Iceland :) I took a compass to locate where North is. The Northern lights are 4 strip fluorescent lights located to the rear just above the frozen vindaloo and curries. I got some vindaloo to bring home :D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I have seen them here in Aberdeen when they quite active. They will be much beter where you are going. Have a nice trip!

They were very clear in Norfolk in March. some wonderful pics in local papers.