Options

Great Ormond Street

Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone else watch this? (New thread for the actual programme with no arguing about gold taps)
:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    i watched this with great interestas my son spent some time there when he was younger.it is a wonderful place everyone is so caring. lokking at all the work that went in to keeping that little baby alive makes me wonder if they should have stopped sooner.but then the little one that went home although not cured was expected to have a better life than first thought.but even so she had to have countless ops and six months in hosp.her story was so like my own son. he was given a simalar diganosis but 27 years later has a good life.he has severe cerebal /palsy cant speak swallow or walk but has a brilliant brain and enjoys life and has made a success of his life and thank god we didnt let him slip away
  • Options
    calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watched this with great interestas my son spent some time there when he was younger.it is a wonderful place everyone is so caring. lokking at all the work that went in to keeping that little baby alive makes me wonder if they should have stopped sooner.but then the little one that went home although not cured was expected to have a better life than first thought.but even so she had to have countless ops and six months in hosp.her story was so like my own son. he was given a simalar diganosis but 27 years later has a good life.he has severe cerebal /palsy cant speak swallow or walk but has a brilliant brain and enjoys life and has made a success of his life and thank god we didnt let him slip away

Just out of interest was it ever an option put to you to "give up" as it were? Did you have to fight to keep going on with treatment etc?
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A marvelous documentary, very moving and heartbreaking. The scene where we saw Ellis's mother kissing him and singing his name, smiling, then it cut to an empty space and announcement he'd suddenly died. :(

It was very interesting to hear the doctors speak so openly and disagree. That was eye opening, and you wonder if it's the right system to allow one consultant to overrule another, as in the respiratory doctor insisting that the little baby girl could have another op on her stomach when the ITU consultant was upset that she looked "distressed" and the Nurse said she thought further treatment was futile.

In the end you wonder if spending her whole short life hooked up to machines in hospital was any kind of life at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    calathea wrote: »
    Just out of interest was it ever an option put to you to "give up" as it were? Did you have to fight to keep going on with treatment etc?[/QUOTE

twice in my sons life we have been told he wouldnt survive .at birth a charming dr told us he was one for the gutter due to a bleed in the brain followed by cardiac arrest.like deannes mum we kept fighting for him till at ten months a different dr saw something in him and helped us get him the help he needed.then 2 years ago he got ill with pneumonia.we were told he would never come home again. once again we fought for him ,after a struggle we got the drs to give him a tube into his bowel to feed him,then learnt how to do subcut to give him fluids at home and got him home again.yes he is still poorly and needs 24 hour care,but he dosent care he uses a computer with head switch to speak has a lovely car which all the carers use to take him out and when you ask him if he is glad to be alive he says yes and he has said dont ever dare turn his life support off,because he loves his life so much and we love him.so if anyone thinks a baby such as was shown last night dosent deserve a chance look at my son and i bet you will change your mind
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New series of this starts on Tuesday if anyone's interested :)
    (Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but people are always saying use the search function :o)