Options

Film 4 - World Cinema Season

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
Forum Member
Anyone else going be watching it kicks off today with Y Tu Mama Tambien, brilliant film which has gone on to become one of my all time favorites. Not sure of what others are being shown but hopefully looking forward to seeing some more great films that i may not have seen yet.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Battle Royale 2 in the trailer ):
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cool i've yet too see the sequel, seen the first film of that and thought it was excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amazing film on par with the original as well think i will have to give it another look :)
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    The sequel isn't amazing, it's inferior to the original by miles, still worth the look though.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

cool, I must check this out, LOVED the original saw it in the cinema gosh it must be 8 years ago? Love, is it every night this week, or Monday nights over several weeks?
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw tonights film on film4 last year and it's a great great film.

I'll probably watch it again tonight. :)
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Tu Mama Tambien is my favorite foreign film, will definitely give it another watch tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    cool, I must check this out, LOVED the original saw it in the cinema gosh it must be 8 years ago? Love, is it every night this week, or Monday nights over several weeks?

I think theres one every night for the course of the season, just had a look and there showing 'The Motorcycle Diaries' 2moro, another great film. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys are joking about Battle Royale 2, right? Battle Royale is a superbly excellent film, but BR2 is probably the worst sequel ever made to anything.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    BR is an excellent film, but I haven't seen BR2 and I havent heard good things,
  • Options
    AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered what world cinema season was, haven't heard of many of the films though :o. Maybe I should educate myself and watch them :). Mind you, I'm watching Keeping Mum (love this film!) just now and I think it's more my thing :cool:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y Tu Mama Tambien is a great film, first watched with my ex and thanks to her I got to experience more films featuring Gael García Bernal, he's an amazing actor, never fails imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    humphryb wrote: »
    Y Tu Mama Tambien is a great film, first watched with my ex and thanks to her I got to experience more films featuring Gael García Bernal, he's an amazing actor, never fails imo.

Couldn't agree more, ive seen him in a number of films and his performances have always been top notch, very talented actor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battle Royale is one of my favourite movies of all time, so I'm apprehensive about the sequel. I don't want to ruin it for myself.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    Agreed. He's great, one of my favourite actors. Very easy on the eye too. :o
  • Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guys are joking about Battle Royale 2, right? Battle Royale is a superbly excellent film, but BR2 is probably the worst sequel ever made to anything.

I have to admit that when I saw BR2 straight after seeing BR I really really hated BR2. Then a couple of years later I saw the second on Film 4 and I actually enjoyed it. I can only speak personally but I think that as it's own film and not comparing it to the original it was actually okay, I had to fight not to think about the original but when I did I think it worked. It's like the new Star Wars film. Most people felt they were horrible but I think had they come out first and not been after Eps 4 etc they might have been enjoyed more.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BR2 is one of the worst sequels I have ever seen. A very anti America intro followed by what can only be described as a poor mans war movie.

First one rocked.
  • Options
    ewing23ewing23 Posts: 7,669
    Forum Member
    Battle Royale 2 is seriously one of the worst sequels ever made. The first one is easily in the top five best movies in my opinion.
  • Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think BR2 was a film under a different title etc you might have liked it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adeel_8_6 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, ive seen him in a number of films and his performances have always been top notch, very talented actor.

Yep, he's one of my favourite actors as well. Fantastic!
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they'd call it World 21st century (or thereabouts) cinema it would be something! God I remember when Channel 4 used to show stuff from all over the world from all eras, and weren't confined merely to buying foreign films distributed through Californian-based conglomerates. Plastic Jesus! Pixote! Possession!

They showed La Regle Du Jeu the other day and the print quality was like a child had gone over the original negative through tracing paper onto gauze. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I think I must have missed most of Film4's World Cinema Season. :(

Noticed The Edukators is on later, might check that out.

In regards to Battle Royale 2, yes, it was a truly abysmal film (IMO) but part of the reason for the poor quality might have been due to the director's death whilst making it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Managed to catch BR2 when it was shown yesterday, although not the worst sequel I've ever seen it was a shadow of the original which i've always held in high regard.

I'm amazed that they didn't show the original though are they just showing the sequel as part of this season?

The Edukators sounds promising, have yet to see that so will catch that tonight.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    The Edukators is fantastic, do watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching The Edukators and must say i really enjoyed it. It took a while for me to get into it but i was soon was hooked. Loved how the story and the relationships between the four characters developed throughout. There were some good surprises thrown in too such as Hardenberg's past and i thought the ending was brilliant.