Anyone else suffering from bad flu?

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natgar wrote: »
    Well, unless you are a doctor how do you know? I really think it silly that some people are saying that others 'aren't sick enough' to have flu. We all have different pain thresholds/immune systems. I am a type one diabetic and always get my flu shots but didn't get mine early enough this year so got flu and yes I could walk around etc.. I just felt bad and achey. I went to the Doc because my chest started to hurt badly and was diagnosed with flu and brochitis. This is the second time I have been medically diagnosed with Flu and both times I felt like hell but could walk around etc...

(In my experience) if you have flu then you simply wouldn't be able to get to the Dr's for a diagnosis. Back in the day I had a Dr come out on a house visit to confirm I had it :o

Granted there are different types of flu but anyone I know that's ever had "flu" has not been walking about.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol I barely walk around with a bad cold nevermind flu! lol
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Well, unless you are a doctor how do you know? I really think it silly that some people are saying that others 'aren't sick enough' to have flu. We all have different pain thresholds/immune systems. I am a type one diabetic and always get my flu shots but didn't get mine early enough this year so got flu and yes I could walk around etc.. I just felt bad and achey. I went to the Doc because my chest started to hurt badly and was diagnosed with flu and brochitis. This is the second time I have been medically diagnosed with Flu and both times I felt like hell but could walk around etc...

I totally agree. It's also a common misconception that the flu always causes people to be bed ridden for days. It doesn't, it depends on the person and the type of virus they are infected with.

Also without medical testing there is no way of knowing what type of virus you have been infected with, so the guess work is ridiculous. If people are ill, they are ill regardless whether it's 'a cold' or 'the flu'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree. It's also a common misconception that the flu always causes people to be bed ridden for days. It doesn't, it depends on the person and the type of virus they are infected with.

Also without medical testing there is no way of knowing what type of virus you have been infected with, so the guess work is ridiculous. If people are ill, they are ill regardless whether it's 'a cold' or 'the flu'

Thanks for this, it's exactly what I was going to say.

Some people on this thread need to remove the sticks from their bums. In the long run, it just doesn't matter. It's not a bloody competition and no one is meaning any harm by thinking they have flu, even if it turns out they don't.

I do not understand some people's attitudes at all.

Anyway, I'm finally getting over mine. I'm feeling a bit better each day now so it looks like I'll be well for Christmas, thankfully.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm finally getting over mine. I'm feeling a bit better each day now so it looks like I'll be well for Christmas, thankfully.

Good for you. I sadly am feeling much worse today. Every time I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing razor blades. My cough is worse too, and all my stomach muscles are aching due to all the coughing.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sympathies to everyone that still feels awful.

I came down with it on Sunday (having never really shaken my cold from a few weeks before) and it knocked me sideways. Today I feel about as ill as I do with an 'average' cold but in comparison I feel about 100 times better than I did yesterday {watching me snivel and hearing my hacking cough you'd prob think I was dying!}

I know I got off lightly - I've managed to be in work all week - did leave a few hours early every day though as by the afternoon I was totally burnt out and half asleep with fatigue!

I am not going to go mad as I feel slightly better though - have cancelled a girls night later and have no concrete plans for the weekend. Also not going to even attempt to do my Christmas shopping until I am totally better.

Get well soon everyone!
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see people walking around saying they have flu, I want to hit them with a hammer.

Amazingly I am untouched so far but I am sure I could have had swine flu a year ago so maybe I am immune. SImple test for flu is if you can stand. If you can, you are a timewaster!

Anyone had really intense headaches during flu? I would get just one pound now and again, and boy, it felt like a nail getting hammered into my head. I would lie dreading it to happen again. If anyone has that kind of pain constantly I really feel for them.

DD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see people walking around saying they have flu, I want to hit them with a hammer.

Amazingly I am untouched so far but I am sure I could have had swine flu a year ago so maybe I am immune. SImple test for flu is if you can stand. If you can, you are a timewaster!

Anyone had really intense headaches during flu? I would get just one pound now and again, and boy, it felt like a nail getting hammered into my head. I would lie dreading it to happen again. If anyone has that kind of pain constantly I really feel for them.

DD

I suffer from migraines, so am well aware of how that feels. I had a migraine-type headache yesterday with this illness I've got.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Good for you. I sadly am feeling much worse today. Every time I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing razor blades. My cough is worse too, and all my stomach muscles are aching due to all the coughing.

I felt like that until I started feeling better.

I'm still not really well enough to go out, though, and my stomach feels very delicate today (thought I was improving until I tried to eat a bowl of cereal this morning and couldn't get through it all) so I'm worried I'll still be having to be careful with what I eat even next week at this rate. Worse, I haven't been able to join in any of the traditional Christmas shopping with my mum so I'm feeling very sorry for myself indeed and not at all Christmassy as a result of being forced to miss one of my favourite yearly activities. :(
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (In my experience) if you have flu then you simply wouldn't be able to get to the Dr's for a diagnosis. Back in the day I had a Dr come out on a house visit to confirm I had it :o

Granted there are different types of flu but anyone I know that's ever had "flu" has not been walking about.

Last year someone was in our office and then sent home with swine flu. People are different, because of my diabetes I get sick a lot and have learned to cope. I have even walked around with pneumonia and was hopitilsed later for a week, There are plenty of mums that are forced to get up and cope with flu because of their sick kids. Although flu does stop you from doing your normal activities it is possible to get up and walk and go to the doc, which is probably why their offices tell you not to come in if you have flu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I felt like that until I started feeling better.

I'm still not really well enough to go out, though, and my stomach feels very delicate today (thought I was improving until I tried to eat a bowl of cereal this morning and couldn't get through it all) so I'm worried I'll still be having to be careful with what I eat even next week at this rate. Worse, I haven't been able to join in any of the traditional Christmas shopping with my mum so I'm feeling very sorry for myself indeed and not at all Christmassy as a result of being forced to miss one of my favourite yearly activities. :(

I've not got any nausea luckily. I don't have much of an appetite though. Stomach muscles are seriously hurting though. My mum said to drink hot things to help my throat, but I find having cold things helps better. Strange!

The timing of it is awful for me! I've still got some Xmas shopping to do, plus I work in retail and it's the run-up to our sale, so having time off it isn't ideal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a cold last week that finally shifted on sunday. Last night however, after a day of feeling fine, I all of a sudden felt rough as ****. woke up today and went to work but left at lunchtime because i felt like i have been beaten up!

Why does it have to come back twice as bad!
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Well this is my forth bout since October. :(
    Caught a 48 hour head cold on the plane to New York the last week in October. Felt fine again for about three weeks and then felt rough in my head and chest. Went to doctor who gave me steriods to get me through the job I was doing at the time. Came back from New York end of November and wham the full works hit, streaming cold and hacking cough. The doctor did say this might happen as I was subjugating it in America because of work. Felt much better this week and was invited out to dinner at a friends on Wednesday night. Damp and frosty night has brought my hacking chest back with a vengeance.
    So to those who are torn about going into/back to work I say stay at home until you really are better. :)
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a rotten cold, everyone at work has had it and I thought I'd got away with it, but I've been feeling pretty awful since last night. I suppose it serves me right for laughing at my boss earlier in the week (she lost her voice and could only squeak at us )
  • currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Hi Guys!

Feeling alot better now, from Saturday till posting this yesterday i was very ill with what i consider to have been a flu of sorts -last time i felt that bad was in the swine flu drama of last year - am up today, washed dressed and even able to manage some toast.

I rang my boss who asked me again about going to the Doc's but as i'm feeling alot better now then there's no need to trouble him or indeed put a full waiting room at risk of catching it.

Hope you all get well soon, and those who havent had it never gets it! Suppose its better to have had it now than come down with it over Christmas ey! xx :D

I'd have sacked you. Charlatan!!!
  • Evenstar120Evenstar120 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Both I and my mum have been so poorly this week. We've both been bedridden for days, just about managing to stagger to the loo and trying to eat, I have lost my sense of smell and taste and I collapsed on the bathroom floor after violent retching and had to literally crawl back to bed. We both have the most dreadful hacking cough at the moment and still have temperatures.I've had the fever, intense shivers and night sweats. I can say that I have never felt so ill in my entire life. It's taken a week to even go near a laptop, because I wasn't able to sit up in bed and trying to concentrate hurt my eyes. I think I've probably had the flu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just "napped" for six hours and I'm still tired enough to go back to bed and sleep some more.

This is seriously annoying me now. I just want to feel better. I'm going barmy being caged in my flat day after day.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    just read this thread and although flu is no laughing matter i couldn't help but chuckle at some of the posts - some of us do appear to be real drama queens:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    some of us do appear to be real drama queens:D

Eh, I don't think so. Feeling ill is horrible, flu or cold or whatever. There's no harm in us feeling sorry for ourselves sometimes, and from everything I've heard about it and experienced myself, this particular cold doing the rounds right now is a truly nasty one.

I'm feeling so much better this morning, though, so here's hoping its on the way out for me. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....Although flu does stop you from doing your normal activities it is possible to get up and walk and go to the doc, which is probably why their offices tell you not to come in if you have flu.....

Nah. They tell people not to come in if they have flu because they simply don't want to be overrun with people in their office who have a common cold.

You cannot walk to the doctors surgery if you have flu. You can barely walk to the toilet. That's literally how it is for everyone.

Saying it's any different would be like suggesting your uncle is so tough he managed to play through a round of badminton while having his full blown heart attack. It wins you no admirers; simply disbelief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although flu does stop you from doing your normal activities it is possible to get up and walk and go to the doc, which is probably why their offices tell you not to come in if you have flu.

Got to disagree, flu will keep you in bed unable to move. They put signs up to stop people a) who are getting over it but still feeling rotten dragging themselves to the drs and b) for the people who think a cold is the flu.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both I and my mum have been so poorly this week. We've both been bedridden for days, just about managing to stagger to the loo and trying to eat, I have lost my sense of smell and taste and I collapsed on the bathroom floor after violent retching and had to literally crawl back to bed. We both have the most dreadful hacking cough at the moment and still have temperatures.I've had the fever, intense shivers and night sweats. I can say that I have never felt so ill in my entire life. It's taken a week to even go near a laptop, because I wasn't able to sit up in bed and trying to concentrate hurt my eyes. I think I've probably had the flu.

I had something similar in July, was really bad for 8 days. It was really depressing when I felt just as bad on the 8th day as I did on the 1st day - I thought I would never recover. We were meant to be going on holiday to Portugal and I was really worried I wouldn't be able to fly.
    Fortunately I was quite a bit better by the time we went although I was still being sick on the plane:o
    After a couple of days in the sun though I was 100% better!

This week I started with what I thought was the same thing and couldn't get out of bed on Tuesday. Luckily it was a 48 hour thing this time and I am almost better except for a cough which will probably drag on for weeks:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm feeling better within myself. I seem to have a bit more energy, but my throat and ears are still killing me, and the cough's still there. I guess I'm just used to the pain now so am coping better. My mum reckons my eyes look ill today though?
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister has had to have her first day of sick this year, she could hardly stand up never mind drive.

If this flu gets you, look on the good side, you would have built up your own protection.
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickler wrote: »
    Got to disagree, flu will keep you in bed unable to move. They put signs up to stop people a) who are getting over it but still feeling rotten dragging themselves to the drs and b) for the people who think a cold is the flu.

I still disagree. My husband walked around with a badly broken hip which the drs said was impossile. Personally (not to be offesnive) but some people cope a lot better. I have gone to the Dr with flu (because of my diabetes I have been advised too) and have walked around with pneumonia. I have also managed to walk with blood sugar levels so low i should have been comotosed. Personally, I think some people say its so awful and yes it is - everything aches and you are so dizzy and weak but still to say its only flue if you can't get up is silly. I had flu as I said previously 2x diagnosed by a docter (not just someone from DM) and he said you can ,ove ut its hard and the symptoms are that you cannot do your normal activites. My flu was on the chest and the first time I got pneumonia and almost died the second time only bronchitis.

Honestly, not being able to move is strangely not the medical diagnosis of flu - its not being able to do your 'normal actiivities'. I don't think anyone on this thread knows how badly another person feels and to say they don't have flu because they can walk is petulant. People's pain threshold differs and their ability to cope. Some people moaning that they could not get out of bed because they had flu could have had a cold and not have a very strong pain threshold/resiliance. I was medically diagnosed and on the first occassion hospitilsed with flu. On the first occasion I had blood tests to determine which flu I had and had developed pneumonia and I could walk,

I am surprised that so many are adamant saying they had flu but others didn't - because they were not sick enough. We are different even women who give birth will tell a different story re pain.

My immune system is so bad I catch everything and really am more likely to have had real flu than the healthy people on here, which is why I get free flu shots;). Bytheway I don't judge you for 'having flu' but perhaps you should stop judging others who say they do because they weren't as sick as you, you are not medical professionals.

Last month I was in hospital with a smashed knee and didn't cry at all - the guy next to me was crying his head off - he had a broken finger and was sent home. I stayed for a week and surgery. Was his finger broken and mine not because he cried and couldn't cope where I could?