Options

Flea spray not working for cat.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
Forum Member
✭✭
My cat has fleas. We have put that flea spray stuff on her. It gets rid of some of the fleas but it just doesn't seem to get rid of all of them. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't say what the spray was, if it came from a pet shop it's probably not effective. However you probably need to treat your house - Indorex seems to get recommended a lot here - and treat all your cats and dogs with Frontline or similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flea spray will only kill the fleas on the cat. It will not clear the eggs or larve at all.
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treat your cat with Frontline then use Indorex household spray for your house. I tried a couple of other sprays before, Genitrix R.I.P Fleas and some other brand but they didn't work, Indorex did the job just fine.

I would recommend two cans, use the second one 4-5 days after you've used the first one.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    danleto wrote: »
    Treat your cat with Frontline then use Indorex household spray for your house. I tried a couple of other sprays before, Genitrix R.I.P Fleas and some other brand but they didn't work, Indorex did the job just fine.

I would recommend two cans, use the second one 4-5 days after you've used the first one.

Some fleas are immune to frontline. Advocate is better.

Indorex is excellent.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    danleto wrote: »

Indorex is excellent.

Both of these.

If frontline doesn't work try Advocate as fleas can become immune to Frontline.

Indorex is a godsend. I have never known a flea to survive it (or if it does it will be in the process of dying).
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Both of these.

If frontline doesn't work try Advocate as fleas can become immune to Frontline.

Indorex is a godsend. I have never known a flea to survive it (or if it does it will be in the process of dying).

My lungs didn't like it either, next time I'm getting a mask. :D
  • Options
    kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indorex is excellent.

Thanks for the recommendation as my two pussies still have fleas after using Frontline which has worked successfully for 2 years but now no longer does.

Can you recommend any online companies that sell Advocate? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Karen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of places sell Advocate online - you can find them via Google, remember to take account of P&P. However it's prescription only, and your vet will probably charge £10 or so for one.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Powder is good on cats and less traumatic for them. Don't forget that if your cat has fleas so does your carpet and soft furniture so while the spray is working at killing the fleas on the cat all they have to do is sit on the carpet or a chair to get re-infested. Treat the cat and your home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry cannot agree powder does any good at all and some are potentially harmful - any containing permethrin. The FAB has excellent advice and do not recomment powders as "there are safer and more effective products available":

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cats lived for 17 and 18 years on powder. Do you agree about furniture and carpets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, agree about treating the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Plenty of places sell Advocate online - you can find them via Google, remember to take account of P&P. However it's prescription only, and your vet will probably charge £10 or so for one.

Advantage is now available without prescription on www.vetuk.co.uk. Arrived yesterday, applied to cats and today they appear to be flea free. It still smells a bit but that's a small price to pay to get rid of the little blighters. I can now flea bomb the house and get back to normal!

Thanks for the tip on Advantage - you can imagine my delight when I got that email from vetuk. Best timing or what?

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    The fleas attacking my three moggies appeared to become immune to Frontline, they've been scratching incessantly. I went to Pets At Home on Thursday and they recommended 'Advantage'. I applied it that day and already after just two days I haven't seen them scratch at all. I paid £18.99 for a pack of 4 tubes, so I have a spare tube. It lasts for three to four weeks, so I'll stick with this for the forseeable.
    Having looked online I can buy it at a much better price elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only paid £10.10 plus delivery for 4 pipettes of Advantage. If anyone knows of any cheaper deals, please post so that we can all benefit.

Regards
    Karen
  • Options
    PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazzabeee wrote: »
    I only paid £10.10 plus delivery for 4 pipettes of Advantage. If anyone knows of any cheaper deals, please post so that we can all benefit.

Regards
    Karen

Where from? Your's sounds a good deal. My Willow has become immune to Frontline and the poor cat is scratching up a storm. Just used Frontline Combo on him which the vet suggested. Will try the other brands mentioned here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    Where from? Your's sounds a good deal. My Willow has become immune to Frontline and the poor cat is scratching up a storm. Just used Frontline Combo on him which the vet suggested. Will try the other brands mentioned here.

Vetuk - at www.vetuk.co.uk - they also do the bigger pipettes for bigger cats. If you're prepared to spend £20.00 you get free delivery. As I was only trying them for the first time, I only ordered 4. Delivery is pretty fast too.

Regards
    Karen