Options

3 Mobile Broadband So Slow.....

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Posting anecdotal evidence is fun. Bit bored here so thought I'd do a test, two phones - one on 3 and one on Voda.

3 - ping 82ms; down 7115kbps; up 1625kbps
    Voda - ping 1707ms; down 11kbps; up - hasn't started yet

Both side by side, even tried going outside to try to complete a test on Voda and no joy. Bottom line - depends where you are, who's on the cell you're using, and probably half a dozen other factors. My own experience is that, in the places I'm likely to be, 3 has by far the best mobile internet service. YMMV of course.

Evidence?
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell me how to get those png's from the speedtest app and I'll post it - for 3 at any rate. The test on Voda still won't complete so I have no complete result to post, though I have some older equally poor ones I could provide.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evidence?

Really:confused: You think he's lying. A couple of users individual experiences is hardly going to show much. The Root Metrics stats do though, they clearly show Three performing very well for mobile data in most cities.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There, try getting that with Vodafone or O2
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/378142561.png

How can someone be so obsessed about going on about one network being shit? You will get hundreds of people saying the same about any of the networks. Get over it, don't consider Three and be happy with the network you are using. I know Three might be shit in some areas, but from experience it's the same for all of them.
  • Options
    LadFromWales85LadFromWales85 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I come to T-Mobile from Vodafone on the premise that I'd get 3G signals almost everywhere I go, and I do! But, when I began using it, even browsing was sluggish, YouTube videos didn't even start.

Speedtest results confirmed. I mostly get under 500kbit/sec downstream at any time of the day, with the odd occasion it'll achieve 2Mbit. I've managed to achieve the 4Mbit cap in other towns but not here :(
    Sadly, T-Mobiles twitter team claim nothing is wrong and blamed my signal strength...at home it's -75dBm! The signal I got from my Vodafone Suresignal was weaker than that!

Asked Three's twitter team how things are round here and they replied telling me that some cells are severely congested and some are fine.

I'll be moving over to Three soon, if only for the fact that they actually will tell me of a problem locally without me even asking about congestion! I just hope it gets fixed soon :)
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is also worth noting that in your current situation, backup line for rare use, you cannot use Vodafone because they have no competitive options.

Same with mobile use, a heavy data user cannot choose voda or o2, there are simply no plans available at reasonable cost anymore.

You end up choosing fast with high cost and low coverage or slower with low cost and high coverage.

Sounds like a draw to me. At least you get the coverage with the cheaper option meaning you are able to test your connection and complain.

Of course, o2 win for voice/sms which is why I use them for phone and often carry a three mifi.
  • Options
    Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    The guy posts to complain about a near enough 3Mbps speed test when only the other day he said the following!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62119213&postcount=7

As I say wave try it at some different times and you may find the speeds vary, as they always will do on 3G by location and current usage in the area.

This IS the justification for LTE which you were arguing was pointless.
    I have tried the speed test at all different times of the day and they are all the same,when i am on early shift,i get up at 4.30am and i have tried the speed test at this time and it is not any faster than say at 9.00 pm the night before,So you would think at 4.30 am this would be the perfect time,but no not any faster.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried the speed test at all different times of the day and they are all the same,when i am on early shift,i get up at 4.30am and i have tried the speed test at this time and it is not any faster than say at 9.00 pm the night before,So you would think at 4.30 am this would be the perfect time,but no not any faster.

It simply varies depending on time of day and utilisation at that time. First thing this morning it was 12 for me, now it's 6.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2563542153.png
  • Options
    Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we all know Wavejock really hates Three for some reason and love Vodafone, O2. I've heard a suggestion he works for O2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I think we all know Wavejock really hates Three for some reason and love Vodafone, O2. I've heard a suggestion he works for O2?

If O2 employ people in the public education sector then it must be true! Nice bit of pointless personalisation.

On a happier note my speed on 3 is now up to 3.5 - 4Mbps. Good enough for my use which is as a temporary alternative to fixed line broadband that is currently unavailable :mad:

Still nowhere near the sort of speeds I have seen posted by users in England though.
  • Options
    AJ2001AJ2001 Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lakeside shopping Mall yesterday, inside House of Frazer, with a Lumia 920 on Three.

http://www.speedtest.net/wp/676774.png

Get the same sort of speeds in Hertford, Dropping to 7 in the evenings.

Happy with that
  • Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Where my parents live which is few miles outside of Peterborough vodafone and O2 signal is 2g mostly but 3, though weak to medium I can see. I just did a speedtest and it did 2.2mbs DL and 1.8mbs UL... Both O2 and Vodafone are stuck on 2g. EE T-mobile are about on par with Three but usually it's a bit slower.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    I must say, Wave really had me going for a while. I actually thought this might be a genuine thread to establish why Three's Mobile BB service was slow. But no, read on and you realise it's just a bit of a wind up.

These 'Pro-NetworkX' and 'anti-NetworkY' threads are pretty tiresome now.

Shock, horror...Three is bad in a certain area. Well, so is Vodafone, O2, and EE. That's just the nature of the beast - get over it!

I'm not on Three, by the way, so I don't think I'm biased either way. Although, I'm sure Wavejock will say I'm anti-O2 or something...that's how it usually works. :D
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I must say, Wave really had me going for a while. I actually thought this might be a genuine thread to establish why Three's Mobile BB service was slow. But no, read on and you realise it's just a bit of a wind up.

These 'Pro-NetworkX' and 'anti-NetworkY' threads are pretty tiresome now.

Shock, horror...Three is bad in a certain area. Well, so is Vodafone, O2, and EE. That's just the nature of the beast - get over it!

I'm not on Three, by the way, so I don't think I'm biased either way. Although, I'm sure Wavejock will say I'm anti-O2 or something...that's how it usually works. :D

There was a time during this year when Wavejock actually made sensible posts. I see he's now returned to his old habits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0.8 Mbps was a poor result and I was taken by surprise considering all the positive posts I have read so quite valid to post the evidence to back up what the test revealed. Things seem to have settled down now and its about 3.5Mbps and as stated that is fine and quite usable as a temporary replacement for fixed line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posting hard evidence that a service performed much less favourably than has been reported is not unreasonable. Nor is updating the thread with additional information that clarifies improvements experienced.

As ever a few are far too quick to attack individuals regardless of how reasonable and measured they are.

The fact is last night when I first used 3's updated network it was dreadfully slow, now it's a good bit better. Happily my fixed line is back to normal (after 38 hours) and 3 have been a lifeline of sorts during that period. I notice they have vastly expanded their Ultrafast range of handsets and the pricing is very reasonable. I stand by my statement that 3-4Mbps is good enough and so 3 are on my shopping list again as they seem to be able to deliver that in my local area. With LTE on 1800 and 800Mhz they should do even better and probably would perform better with DC-HSDPA presently if you have a compatible handset. I am due a new phone soon so I will retest 3 and if I can get reliable voice calls (I have had lots of problems with that before) then I may just be tempted to give them another try. Can't imagine how anyone could think that approach is anything other than fair and reasonable.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even worse tonight. This is using a Huawei Standard Dongle.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2564668117.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even worse tonight. This is using a Huawei Standard Dongle.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2564668117.png

That was the kind of result I got last night when I started using 3 mobile broadband. It got better and reached about 4Mbps which was decent enough for my needs.

What seems to be causing the very slow speed on 3? There must be very different performance depending on area as there have been some very impressive results posted. My best result on 3 has been this weekend using the HSPA+ 21 dongle at around 4Mbps.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    What irritates me most is that when people post anecdotal evidence of their experiences of the O2 network - slow speeds, only 2G for large parts of people's journeys, network outages for hours at a time and such things - all they get is, "Well, you obviously hate O2." and "Well, the fact is that O2 continually come top of Ofcom's customer service survey."

Meanwhile, when he posts his own anecdotal evidence regarding the Three network, we get "Well, this is supposedly the network built for the Internet." and all that kind of stuff, as if the anecdotal evidence suddenly matters when it suits.

Now, I don't doubt for a second that those are the speeds you are experiencing as you have posted links (and I completely agree that it's well below what I would expect), it isn't a representation of a network's offering is it? I'll same that about the O2 stuff, too, although the network outages are facts that you simply cannot argue with unless you're mad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is an accurate representation of what the 3 network offers where I use it. It has been pointed out that experiences differ throughout the country so that covers the issue about variance on all networks.

BTW, 3's data was not 100% reliable today for me. It froze a few times and I had to disconnect from the network and eject and replace the USB dongle to get reconnected. OK for something temporary but not ideal.
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0.8 Mbps was a poor result and I was taken by surprise considering all the positive posts I have read so quite valid to post the evidence to back up what the test revealed. Things seem to have settled down now and its about 3.5Mbps and as stated that is fine and quite usable as a temporary replacement for fixed line.
    Perhaps you could start a new thread titled " 3 Mobile Broadband usable as a temporary replacement for fixed line"?
  • Options
    squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is an accurate representation of what the 3 network offers where I use it. It has been pointed out that experiences differ throughout the country so that covers the issue about variance on all networks.

It is funny, that I find that only a few streets away I can have the difference of having really fast speeds to speeds that are slightly slower due to congestion! i.e. going from >20Mbps to around 1Mbps!

That said my best speedtest on my Nexus 4 has been: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509655/Screenshot_2013-01-20-22-00-14.png

Even during the day the speeds are still respectable: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509655/Screenshot_2013-01-07-10-12-08.png

This is around Royal Infirmary in the city centre of Glasgow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squawkBOX wrote: »
    It is funny, that I find that only a few streets away I can have the difference of having really fast speeds to speeds that are slightly slower due to congestion! i.e. going from >20Mbps to around 1Mbps!

That said my best speedtest on my Nexus 4 has been: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509655/Screenshot_2013-01-20-22-00-14.png

Even during the day the speeds are still respectable: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509655/Screenshot_2013-01-07-10-12-08.png

This is around Royal Infirmary in the city centre of Glasgow.

No evidence of what network produced those results...... I have never seen anything like that from the 3 network in Glasgow.

My results have been with a Huawei E53 dongle in Renfrewshire within range of the 'Ultrafast' network. Best result over the weekend was just under 4Mbps and worst was 0.8Mbps. Average was probably around 3Mbps which is slower than Vodafone but adequate for the temporary solution I required. Now that the clock is ticking on my 90 day SIM I will make a point of doing a couple of tests in the East End of Glasgow tomorrow and will post the results complete with network identification.
  • Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    No evidence of what network produced those results...... I have never seen anything like that from the 3 network in Glasgow.
    So if squawkbox takes a screenshot of his network details will you back down or go on to claim he's photoshopped it?
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My results have been with a Huawei E53 dongle in Renfrewshire within range of the 'Ultrafast' network. Best result over the weekend was just under 4Mbps and worst was 0.8Mbps. Average was probably around 3Mbps which is slower than Vodafone but adequate for the temporary solution I required. Now that the clock is ticking on my 90 day SIM I will make a point of doing a couple of tests in the East End of Glasgow tomorrow and will post the results complete with network identification.

On my DC HSPA ipad mini I got 12 meg down in Hillington this morning on 3. If I use the non DC mifi I got around the 4 meg mark. My adsl is terrible in work so I plan on using 3 mobile broadband as a replacement. I have also bought a EE 4g mifi to use as well. My EE LTE iphone gets around 20 meg down and 25 meg up which is just awesome so I expect good things from the mifi. I have 15gb for 10.99 on my 3 deal.