Options

Shows That Were Never Broadcast

GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that ITV have quite a few of these. There was the film about the Marchioness boat tragedy. Also there is Bombshell, a 7 part drama made by Shed about army life.

One of the reasons why ITV dont show programmes is because they dont have to recognise the cost in their accounts until the programme is show, so if you dont sreen it, you dont have to take the cost hit for it.

So do the BBC or Channel 4 have many shows (apart from pilots) that never saw the light of day?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1
    Oddsocks (sitcom with Lynda Bellingham)
    Seven Second Delay (sitcom, starring disgraced Thick Of It star)
    Press Ganged (reality show)
  • Options
    shaneyshaneyshaneyshaney Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's ITV, but in 1987 they screened the first 2 episodes of the "comedy" Hardwicke House about a school where the teachers were muderers and they perved after the schoolgirls.............the other 5 episodes have never been shown to this day ! :D
  • Options
    JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Popetown - animated 'comedy'. Dropped from BBC3 schedules after uproar from Catholics. Considering the people involved it sounded great... it wasn't.
  • Options
    Vickyb83Vickyb83 Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always remember something with Dervla Kirwan and Stephan Tompkinson was never shown. I think it was called Shades and it was shown in other countries but not over here even though they kept showing previews on the TV for it.
  • Options
    torreviejaladstorreviejalads Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dropped from BBC3 schedules after uproar from Catholics.

That´s the only reason I watched ´Jerry Spinger - The Musical´.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second series of "Shane" starring Frank Skinner. Filmed a couple of years ago, seems unlikely it will ever be broadcast.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like ITV could run an entire channel with the amount of shows they have stockpiled. It might not be a very good channel :o

Interestingly, Bombshell was shown in New Zealand and is out on DVD but was never shown by ITV. You would think they would put it on ITV2 or ITV3 because at some stage they will need to write off the cost of making it.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One has still only shown five of the six episodes of the 2002 Adam Faith sitcom 'The House That Jack Built'.
  • Options
    bookergbookerg Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    PhilipM wrote: »
    Second series of "Shane" starring Frank Skinner. Filmed a couple of years ago, seems unlikely it will ever be broadcast.
    You beat me to it :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Vickyb83 wrote: »
    I always remember something with Dervla Kirwan and Stephan Tompkinson was never shown. I think it was called Shades and it was shown in other countries but not over here even though they kept showing previews on the TV for it.

I remember reading about that one for years. It was made back when they were a couple, but I think they broke up soon after. Weren't they ghosts or something?
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The War Game one of the first docu/dramas - was made in 1965 but not shown until 1985 , 20 years later because it depicts the horrors of nuclear war. It's quite tame by todays standards . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Debbie King Show. :D
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    MsMz wrote: »
    I remember reading about that one for years. It was made back when they were a couple, but I think they broke up soon after. Weren't they ghosts or something?

That show was called "Hereafter", 6 episodes from Coastal Productions, made back in 2000 I believe.

There is also "Making Waves", 3 of the 6 episodes gone unseen. At least ITV have got a lot better with the screening of underperforming shows.
  • Options
    LeMarchandLeMarchand Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about all those US pilots that never even get broadcast? $2M spent on John Woo's "Lost in Space" pilot, and it never aired while the wonderful "Global Frequency" almost got picked up due to it's huge support on the 'net until Warners decided that as people had illegally downloaded it (the only way to see it) then they weren't playing ball.

If we're talking "bought but unbroadcast" I'm hoping I haven't missed 5/Fiver's run of "The Nine".
  • Options
    womer_ukwomer_uk Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    What about a full series of Michael Barrymore's, "My Kind Of People" still not aired by ITV after the, "Swimming Pool" affir
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last 4 episodes of Rock Rivals. Oh wait....
  • Options
    the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    The Debbie King Show. :D

It was, though but axed after about 1 or 2 shows. It was also a live show so cant really count.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeMarchand wrote: »
    What about all those US pilots that never even get broadcast? $2M spent on John Woo's "Lost in Space" pilot, and it never aired while the wonderful "Global Frequency" almost got picked up due to it's huge support on the 'net until Warners decided that as people had illegally downloaded it (the only way to see it) then they weren't playing ball.
    The CW's 'Aquaman' still stands as the most expensive single-hour pilot ever made, and one of the most expensive hours of television EVER.

And by default, it's also the most expensive failed pilot too.

Cost: $7 million!

By comparison, Lost's two-hour pilot episode cost $10M.
  • Options
    happygoluckyhappygolucky Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember a show on bbc1 at dinnertimes back in 2002 that had Nadia Sawalhi (or her sister) and Chris Tarrants missus going around springing surprises on people - it was suddenly taken off air without warning after about a week
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CI5: The New Professionals was intended for terrestrial TV, but never arrived. Astonishingly, the producers went ahead and made the entire series before a UK broadcaster had even agreed to buy it.:eek:

The episodes eventually showed up on Sky One.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They recorded a complete series of "Keynotes" which was shown in the 9:25am slot before Kyle came along, they didnt show it as iirc the PRS wanted payment for using snppets of songs
  • Options
    dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "Sex and Violence" episode of Doomwatch made by the BBC in 1972 remains unshown - ironically its one of only 4 episodes from that season that arent wiped.

The Frankie Howerd series "Then Churchill Said To Me" was made around 1981 and thanks to the Falklands war the BBC pulled it and it was first shown nearly 20 years later on UK Gold - although I believe BBC1 or 2 have shown it since.

The last episode of the first series of The Professionals from 1978: an episode which ITV claimed was racially offensive was banned- "Klansmen" remains unscreened on British tv and has only ever been out on VHS and dvd (IIRC it was shown on the Euro channel Superchannel over 20 years ago)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CI5: The New Professionals was intended for terrestrial TV, but never arrived. Astonishingly, the producers went ahead and made the entire series before a UK broadcaster had even agreed to buy it.:eek:

The episodes eventually showed up on Sky One.

were there any cameos from the old cast in the new show?
  • Options
    dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team53 wrote: »
    were there any cameos from the old cast in the new show?
    No there wasnt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC One has still only shown five of the six episodes of the 2002 Adam Faith sitcom 'The House That Jack Built'.

Was that because of his death?