sat nav advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i want a sat nav, i used to laugh on the forums when people used to ask for help but that was when there was about 4, now there is about 40 and I need help.

Basically i would like one that has speed camera detection, doesnt need to be plugged in all the time for power and has a nice big keyboard where i can type in without using a stylus.

I have looked around for a few days now but comparision is hard as not all sites mention everything.

I am tempted by this one the navman 720 its £179:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_238975_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_33962_crumb_31265-31468_parentcategoryrn_33962

any advice would be great thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Sat Nav actually 'detects' speed cameras - they rely on a downloaded list of locations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pingu wrote:
    No Sat Nav actually 'detects' speed cameras - they rely on a downloaded list of locations.
    Sorry what i meant is where you do not have to purchase the camera data afterwards.
  • BCtomBCtom Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think the navman 720 includes speed camera data. I think it says speed camera locator meaning that it could do if you pay to download it from the navman site.

If you want a decent one with speed camera data one of blackspot road angel navigator is what you want. I have a navman n40i which comes with speed camera data and I used to have a road angel speed camera detector which was much much better at its job!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok cheers
  • swellybroswellybro Posts: 2,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really impressed with my TomTom ONE v2, bought it a few weeks ago for £160 from PC world.

Downloaded a speed camera database from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

Just an excellent bit of kit, small enough to fit in m jacket pocket and take out of the car too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too would agree with Swellybro on the TOM TOM ONE - I got one of these for my Dad for Xmas for his driving school - He is a technophobe and he ould use this straight out of the box.

I personally would recommend this over any other sat navs (it is basically the same as the £350 tom toms available)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I borrowed a friend's TomTom last summer for a driving holiday in France and Italy. It was faultless. It guided me to pre-booked hotels which I would never have found otherwise.

I was so impressed I got one for Christmas !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't touch TomTom again with a bargepole! Their customer service is appaling and for what the models do, expensive.

I got rid of a 300 and bought a garmin nuvi 310d, from halfords and have had no problems at all with it. It includes full europe mapping and free traffic alert system. Just my opinion tho'
  • dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too am thinking of purchasing a new sat nav. I only want it for the UK though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the gadget show did a review for the TOMTOM ONE - they basically say this is one of the best one the market(tomtom had a 50% market share at the time of writing the piece)

link to this is here .