Gritting side roads and pavements.

bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
Forum Member
✭✭
In most places the main roads are gritted.
Trouble is yesterday many people did not drive. I live in cul-de-sac along a dead end road. It is an ice rink.
worse IMO is I was walking from the Rail Station to the Bus Station, about a 1/4 walk through un treated side roads and icy pavements.
I know resources are tight, and even in the 'good' times gritting was limited. But have some councils cut to far on grit/treatment?

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We cant get the car ot of the drive as the cul de sac is a skating rink, as are the paths, the main roads are fine but we cant get out of the estate. there is a grit bucket, but the kids tipped it over in the summer and what little was in there was washed away, and it was never refilled.
    I wonder how many people are stuck in untreated estates?
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just do it yourself? Bags of grit £2.99 in Halfords right now.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is yesterday many people did not drive. I live in cul-de-sac along a dead end road. It is an ice rink.
    worse IMO is I was walking from the Rail Station to the Bus Station, about a 1/4 walk through un treated side roads and icy pavements.
    I know resources are tight, and even in the 'good' times gritting was limited. But have some councils cut to far on grit/treatment?

In many cases particularly down side roads especially with terrace houses and/or parked cars it is very difficult to put grit on pavement. In places with cul-de sacs it is often hard the get a lorry to turn at the end and cul-de-sacs are very low priority.

Roads and side streets could be cleared far easier without the parked cars. In many cases they could not even get a snow plough down the roads if they wanted and nowhere to push the snow if they could.
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »

If you cant get out in the car then how do you get to Halfords??
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »

The snow has been forecasted for some time now so the idea would be to get a stock in before it snowed. I always get a couple of bags of salt and sharp sand when the first sign of snow is forecast.
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    The snow has been forecasted for some time now so the idea would be to get a stock in before it snowed. I always get a couple of bags of salt and sharp sand when the first sign of snow is forecast.
    Good for you ;)

We dont have anything though, and its a very long road, and is solid ice so a bag or two of salt would have made little difference, what it needs is for councils to come along the main roads and work their way down the side roads with men and shovels scattering the grit as they go, like they used to do. Sitting in their cosy lorry is not going to get the side roads salted. Priority should be over 55s roads, my elderly parents are also trapped in their home as their road is a sheet of ice.All the residents in the road are elderly and some are risking broken bones by trying to walk out to the local shop, its just not acceptable.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone cleared their own area and did someone's in street who couldn't then there wouldn't be a problem,

But this is UK why should anyone do anything when someone else should do it and to help someone else :eek: the mere thought :rolleyes:
  • AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our pavements are cleared and gritted by the council, they'd be done by 7am this morning. The gritters don't go into the cul-de-sacs but most are lined with cars and have little room to turn at the end so I don't think they'd fit very well. Everyone just pitches in and cleared them, the grit bins are kept stocked up so not a problem.
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »
    If everyone cleared their own area and did someone's in street who couldn't then there wouldn't be a problem,

But this is UK why should anyone do anything when someone else should it and to help someone else :eek: the mere thought :rolleyes:

Even the over 70s?? there are many roads round here that contain only elderly residents and none of them have been cleared as far as I know. I walked out yesterday and everywhere is frozen solid , peoples cars are trapped in driveways, the councils really shoudl try to do more, there are no bin collections at the moment so surely those men coudl be out with the gritter spreading the salt by hand down the elderly residents roads??
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the over 70s?? there are many roads round here that contain only elderly residents and none of them have been cleared as far as I know. I walked out yesterday and everywhere is frozen solid , peoples cars are trapped in driveways, the councils really shoudl try to do more, there are no bin collections at the moment so surely those men coudl be out with the gritter spreading the salt by hand down the elderly residents roads??

If your fit at any age you can clear your own area, and I did say help someone who can't do it themselves,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My path gets done by a council guy on a quad bike
    Forum Member
    My path gets done by a council guy on a quad bike

How brilliant! a case of councils actually caring.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think councils should put grit bags or bins on street corners so that where there is a willingness on the part of residents to do it themselves, they can.

Two winters ago we did our end of the street, together with some of our neighbours, and it was great. We did the path and front steps for the old lady opposite, and outside her house, and everyone even cleared away the impacted snow on the road. My S2BX and one of the neighbours had both got road salt from work, so half the street was dead safe.

My neighbour and his 2 adult sons, all fit and well, just stood at the window and watched while everyone else worked. I think they should have dumped all the snow and ice at the bottom of their drive, to stop them getting out and using the road and pavements that everyone else had made safe for them!
    Forum Member
    Grit bins is a great idea, as I said we have one, but when it was upturned and it is upturned on a regular basis, it was never refilled and sits there empty, its just inside the start of the cul de sac so the council could get to it to fill it, but as yet it remains empty and the long road remains frozen. We have cleared our path and drive as have others, but it is the actual road that is impassable.

2 years ago it was like it for 2 weeks, we save on petrol thats for sure! but the kids miss school and we struggle getting food.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They havnt got the time or resources to do side streets.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »

But this is UK why should anyone do anything when someone else should do it and to help someone else :eek: the mere thought :rolleyes:

Exactly, people will prefer to moan the council haven't done it than be proactive and walk a few yards to the nearest grit bin/pile.
  • Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    If you live in a cul-de-sac get out and do your own road for gods sake
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We use to have a salt bin at the end of our road but the council removed it some years ago so most people haven't moved their cars for a few days now
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What? People take some responsibility themselves!! Perish the thought!:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

Not everyone drives and taxis would be more expensive than the grit/sand.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem is getting to Halfords
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with this. And people should get their kids to help too. If they refuse, turn the fuse box and the heating off, and take the plugs off their TVs and games consoles. :D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You order from Tesco or Asda and get a home delivery.

Simples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How does the individual get to halfords? the car is stuck in the driveway and the side road is a skating rink. plus halfords is 10 miles away and closed because the staff are also stuck in their houses because YOU'VE GUESSED their car is stuck in teh driveway and the side road in a skating rink!:rolleyes:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    You order from Tesco or Asda and get a home delivery.
    How do you expect them to get their van to you if you cannot get a much more capable and appropriate 4x4 out? :rolleyes: