Windows 8 - is it any better than 7

Comments

• GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did understand your post, you advised users with old PCs to upgrade to 8. However, the newer OSes are a lot heavier on resources, many XP machines will be a lot slower as the requirements are a lot more than XP.

Just exactly what kind of specs do you think these XP machines have?

My XP machine has a Dual Core processor and 2 GB of RAM. It isn't the antique you seem to want to portray.

My advice is very good advice. If people are happy with their current hardware and want to avoid having to pay a lot for a new OS next year then upgrading to 8 is a very good idea.

It isn't permanent either, you can soon put XP back on if it goes wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Cheap at the price is the point I think, so well worth taking a chance on it. 7 pints of London beer!

And if it doesn't work well, not very likely IMO as most people will have upgraded hardware anyway since XP was launched, you still have it for when you do upgrade.

Something to bear in mind though, of course.

After january it becomes around £130 for an upgrade. People are mad not to buy one.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    Just exactly what kind of specs do you think these XP machines have?

My XP machine has a Dual Core processor and 2 GB of RAM. It isn't the antique you seem to want to portray.

My advice is very good advice. If people are happy with their current hardware and want to avoid having to pay a lot for a new OS next year then upgrading to 8 is a very good idea.

It isn't permanent either, you can soon put XP back on if it goes wrong.

One of the main reasons that Vista got such a bad rep was people trying to run it on hardware designed for XP, and that was 6 years ago.

Any machine bought with XP is 6-12 years old, check before you buy, but past experience has said users are more likely in for a headache than just sticking with XP. Vista/7/8 have much higher hardware requirements than XP, argue all you like but that's fact, and a major reason that even Vista got so much flack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the main reasons that Vista got such a bad rep was people trying to run it on hardware designed for XP, and that was 6 years ago.

Any machine bought with XP is 6-12 years old, check before you buy, but past experience has said users are more likely in for a headache than just sticking with XP. Vista/7/8 have much higher hardware requirements than XP, argue all you like but that's fact, and a major reason that even Vista got so much flack.

What part of microsoft will no longer be supporting XP next year are you having trouble with?
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not finding it that bad. Still prefer Windows 7 because I just prefer the stylings better.

It does boot up faster, even though I am dual booting it with Windows 7 (so I can still used the software provided with my laptop and software that does not support Windows 8). I use it as my main Operating System now.

I have installed the Classic Shell to add a start menu and it doesn't look that different to 7.
    Screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/58f872233667529
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W* is checking the download as I type. This will be my last Vista post on this machine,
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What part of microsoft will no longer be supporting XP next year are you having trouble with?

It really depends on the hardware. My brother upgraded from XP to W7 and while it is usable, it's visibly slower than XP. He now dual boots both using XP mostly. There was a period when OEMs reverted back to selling XP with the new hardware, because of the Vista's bad rep and paradoxically that hardware would be fine for it. For those computers W8 may work fine, but in general I think it's better to let the computer die and rather buy a new one instead.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Advantages

It boots up faster, much faster.
    Windows Explorer has an up button, so it's easier to return to where you were before.
    British English can easily be installed.
    Task Manager is greatly improved.
    Search is greatly improved.
    If you paste an application to a folder with an identical application, there is more information to help you.
    The ribbon, much more attractive and tidier than menus (in my opinion)
    Internet Explorer 10 - much more stable.

Disadvantages

You have to install Classic Shell in order to bypass Metro.
    It calls applications "Apps" which they're not - they're applications.
    You lose the Windows Aero theme
    You lose the Windows Classic theme
    You lose Desktop Gadgets (though a not-so-good version can be installed in its place)
    Metro will pop its ugly head up from time to time and there's nothing you can do to hide it, even with Classic Shell.
    2 Lock Screens - a pointless slidey up one and the traditional screen
    Whenever you shut down, after 15 seconds, you still have to confirm the closure of every running application (if you've left them open, like I always do), just like in Windows 7. By this time, you're probably in bed, the bathroom or watching TV, thinking your PC's turned off.
    The app store runs in full screen Metro mode instead of the desktop, making it very awkward to watch videos and play games at the same time.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Disadvantages

You lose Desktop Gadgets (though a not-so-good version can be installed in its place)
    Metro will pop its ugly head up from time to time and there's nothing you can do to hide it, even with Classic Shell.
    Whenever you shut down, after 15 seconds, you still have to confirm the closure of every running application (if you've left them open, like I always do), just like in Windows 7. By this time, you're probably in bed, the bathroom or watching TV, thinking your PC's turned off.
    The app store runs in full screen Metro mode instead of the desktop, making it very awkward to watch videos and play games at the same time.

Can't say I agree with that list - perhaps because I hate Metro and don't go near it! ;)

Installing say Classic Shell isn't really a disadvantage, it's a doddle... and if you do, you can choose any theme you like other than the full Aero (which I never used anyway).

I don't know what the 'desktop gadgets' are so can't comment.

With Classic Shell I never see the Metro Start screen, just an occasional charm bar if I inadvertently poke my mouse pointer too far into a corner but I don't really notice it even then.

I don't know what the lock screens are, I never see them so can't comment.

When I shut down, from Classic Shell start button, I get an immediate confirmation dialogue box listing any open programs and I just click "OK" to automatically close them all, lose any unsaved work (or 'cancel') and it shuts down by itself. If you mean Metro Apps, I can't comment as I never use any Metro Apps!

App store? What App store? Never go near it (whatever it is).

The moral is, use Classic Shell or similar, ignore Metro, and solve just about all the "disadvantages" at a stroke.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just an occasional charm bar if I inadvertently poke my mouse pointer too far into a corner
    There might be an option in Classic Shell to fix that, if not then I'm fairly sure some of the other utilities can do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moral is, use Classic Shell or similar, ignore Metro, and solve just about all the "disadvantages" at a stroke.
    Except perhaps the ribbon bar in Windows Explorer, maybe.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,406
    Forum Member
    ...and yet for the stragglers who still havent upgraded at that point, they are unlikely to care or indeed notice any major problems with still running what they have. Yes its not an ideal situation but their PC isn't going to spontaneously combust come March next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    However I can't see the point of the tile interface on a non touchscreen device so I am going to bypass it. I am looking at Start is Back - has anyone used this or one of the others like Classic Shell?
    I posted my thoughts on these two here. Most people use Classic Shell but I prefer StartIsBack. I would try both to see what you think (not at the same time obviously!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disadvantages

See my post here for a nicer (?) theme and how to disable the new lock screen.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However I can't see the point of the tile interface on a non touchscreen device so I am going to bypass it. I am looking at Start is Back - has anyone used this or one of the others like Classic Shell?

There are quite a few Start menu replacements out there. I can only suggest you try a few to see which you prefer.

There's review of some here: http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/9-windows-start-menus-windows-8-208963

Personally, I've settled on Classic Shell as it's simple and doesn't try to do to much. I quite liked Pokki and the way it did notifications but got annoyed by it pushing its own app store.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disadvantages

-I haven't got classic shell installed and I don't get near Metro either.
    -Being upset about them being called apps is silly
    -The lost of Aero should on the pros list tbh
    -2 lock screen is no different to how it used to be with pressing ctrl-alt-del.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't mind a retro XP-like "menu", you can add a new toolbar on desktop's taskbar with the following as a folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs .You will still have that apparently awful start screen, but you don't have to pay for anything :D It even works on my Surface RT, but I am really not going to use it.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    W* is checking the download as I type. This will be my last Vista post on this machine,

we have an XP laptop. vista laptop and a windows 7 notebook.
    there is no way we will be buying windows 8.. IMO it is shit. esp the touch screen part. out of all three XP has been the better OS imo.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    There might be an option in Classic Shell to fix that, if not then I'm fairly sure some of the other utilities can do it.

There certainly is, missed that! You can disable all corners and charms... so I have done. Can still launch Apps if I wish, through the Start button (but I won't!).

Aaaahhhh... bliss!!! :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    You can have a solo in #4, 3rd Apple fan from the left: "My dad hated Vista, he'd hate this Duplo crap, too" :p

Haha sounds fine by me :D I'll take it!
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Despite your extremely condescending attitude, I have no trouble with that fact, but that does not mean people running hardware from a decade ago will have a nice experience with an operating system that is too resource hungry for their machines.

In reality, anyone with the first clue about computers would be suggesting users simply may want to invest in new hardware after using a computer that old still in 2014 rather than trying to upgrade ancient PCs to an OS that will it likely struggle to run comfortably. It will be at LEAST 7 years old by then which is a more than acceptable life-span for a home PC.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we have an XP laptop. vista laptop and a windows 7 notebook.
    there is no way we will be buying windows 8.. IMO it is shit. esp the touch screen part. out of all three XP has been the better OS imo.

So what is your experience of 8 if you don't have it? How can you slag it off? I now have Vista, 7 & 8 at home and use XP at work OK I have only had a limited time with 8 but with a Metro bypass (StartisBack for me) it seem fine, no worse than 7 r(but I would not move the 7 laptop to 8 as I see no reason) and much better than Vista. XP was very functional but is feeling it's age. And the only reason I am keeping the other laptop on Vista is that it is full of my phone hacking toolkits and drivers which would need to be reinstalled and may not be compatible.

Anyway laptops (no such thing as a notebook by the way) are just tools and as about as interesting. Mobile is the thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway laptops (no such thing as a notebook by the way) are just tools and as about as interesting. Mobile is the thing.
    Laptops are sometimes called notebooks, especially in the USA and Canada.

Laptops are indeed tools - but tools are useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    There certainly is, missed that! You can disable all corners and charms... so I have done. Can still launch Apps if I wish, through the Start button (but I won't!).

Aaaahhhh... bliss!!! :D

Well you are running an App actually, unedr W8 the desktop is an app.

But yes, I basically do the same on my W8 setup and do not use any of the app store apps at all.

I still use my W7 setup mostly, as it has a lot of Vmware VMs tied into it for my work testing and W8 is still pretty poor on that side.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, there is.

You best get on the phone to Toshiba and Apple to tell them because they refer to their laptops as notebooks.

Thank God there someone on the internet on a one person crusade to put them right ;)