If Lady Gaga fails this time around, what then?

1235»

Comments

• TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people think she's some sort of genius because she can play the piano and can sing a copy of some jazz songs. All this 'I produce my own songs' isn't necessarily true either and people are no longer bothered about her costumes, nothing surprises the public anymore in that regard. 'Cake' was a shockingly awful song and none of these little preview snippets have sounded good. I hope for her sake the album does sound new and original because if it sounds remotely like TFM it'll be her going backwards and if it sounds remotely like anything anyone else has done then she'll get slaughtered as well as the public at large are cottoning on to her
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people saying things like 'people are not bothered about her anymore' often is what gives the impression that that is the case.

Everyone who follows pop music will be curious as to what she puts out next just because, as they would be with any other pop artist in their prime who hasnt flopped hard yet. Look at Christina's Bionic - people were still talking about it.

The forums are pretty pessimistic as to most music artists anyway I think. Even Adele gets her share of a slamming.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people saying things like 'people are not bothered about her anymore' often is what gives the impression that that is the case.

Everyone who follows pop music will be curious as to what she puts out next just because, as they would be with any other pop artist in their prime who hasnt flopped hard yet. Look at Christina's Bionic - people were still talking about it.

The forums are pretty pessimistic as to most music artists anyway I think. Even Adele gets her share of a slamming.

For all the wrong reasons though.

However I did love the fact that after Christina had been accused of copy Gaga in the Night Myself Tonight video she came out and said it was actually a Madonna homage.

Queen of sly shade is Christina ;) but that is why she has no solid fanbase. Its difficult for casuals to like her and there is that word again. Casuals. They are always the key. Stripped has shipped something like 14 million units. Where are all those XTina supporters now?? from 2002 to 2004 she had the pop world in the palm of her hand. It never lasted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    "If Lady Gaga fails this time around, what then?"

Then, she'll be another Cyndi Lauper. Remembered for 3 or 4 songs and supported by a small yet loyal cult fanbase on her future releases. But her new song has to be REALLY horrible for her to have such a huge fall from grace.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »
    TEOG was supposed to have an epic video with a big director. The director fuc**d her off over 'differences' and she said she could make it better herself. Thats how it ended up sh*t.

I hear it was over this video where cracks really begun to show between her and Laurieann.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Queen of sly shade is Christina ;) but that is why she has no solid fanbase. Its difficult for casuals to like her and there is that word again. Casuals. They are always the key. Stripped has shipped something like 14 million units. Where are all those XTina supporters now?? from 2002 to 2004 she had the pop world in the palm of her hand. It never lasted.
    They're at the same place as the 25 millon people who bought 'Baby One More Time' and 'Oops' and the 14 million people who bought 'Dangerously in Love'. The 15 million people who bought 'TF/'TFM' and the 25 million people who bought '21' may join them soon. It's not just Christina that lost supporters along the way, that's how it goes in general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    They're at the same place as the 25 millon people who bought 'Baby One More Time' and 'Oops' and the 14 million people who bought 'Dangerously in Love'. The 15 million people who bought 'TF/'TFM' and the 25 million people who bought '21' may join them soon. It's not just Christina that lost supporters along the way, that's how it goes in general.

No need to be so defensive. You're just repeating what I have already said earlier in this thread. My last comment was in regards to Bionic being bought up. No one really did talk about it, what was said was overly negative give or take a few decent reviews and on the whole that era was a mess for Christina and proved she was no longer relevant or a force in the charts. Unlike Britney and Beyoncé who are still very much a force and still relevant despite their decline in sales.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »

By and large music fans aren't supporters of artists, they just like what they hear, by the album and maybe a tour ticket but if they don't like the next record they won't bother and just move on to someone else. They certainly don't come on forums and scour the internet on what's occuring with artists, they rely on gossip magazines, music magazines or newspapers to tell them. Gaga no longer causes shock waves with her costumes and is at the point now where it's just the music that will do the talking. Sure, she has a decent fanbase but it's nowhere near as big as monsters would like to think and her next album's success will depend on whether she can win back all the casuals she lost during BTW. If it's bad then her 'monsters' will be in a panic but 80% of the record buying public, the casual fans, won't give a shit and will move on to Katy Perry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still find it bizzare Gaga fans are claiming the BTW album campaign was a mess. It was anything but a mess to be honest. She had millions spent on her promoting it and five lavish pop videos were created to sell the songs.

Also Gaga had the biggest selling perfume for a celeb ever in 2012. Had a world tour. She did loads in 2012 to make sure she tops the Forbes rich list for 2013. Lets not make out she has been like Kate Bush!

The excuses fans make sometimes are OTT. Lots of very selective memory going on.

If people outside of the hard core fanbase are bored of Gaga its because maybe they are tired of seeing everything, including the kitchen sink, being thrown at them. Sometimes less is more but in the case of Gaga less is more wouldn't work. That's her dilemma.
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Sometimes less is more but in the case of Gaga less is more wouldn't work. That's her dilemma.

Nail on head
  • Femme FataleFemme Fatale Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I'm concerned about Artpop. Just the title is off-putting to me. I'm also really bored of Gaga's antics and wacky outfits. I don't think she'll ever better the Fame Monster era as she seems to take herself too seriously now, when originally her appeal was that she was fresh and fun.