BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many '' Fosters '' do they now employ at 5live ? I switched on to get some actual news on a programme and it was presented by a Richard Foster.What with Anna and John,I think we have nearly got the complete set !
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Well they might dare to talk about the Championship and lower leagues which start next week then it will be Premier league action only..

With interruptions for the cricket and F1.

"World War 3 has began, but we go back to Glasgow for the semi finals of the Bowls."
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "World War 3 has began, but we go back to Glasgow for the semi finals of the Bowls."

lol. at least they'd give it a mention. watching the bbc1 CG coverage, you'd never have found out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live just need to come out and say they are now exclusively a sport station - at least they wouldn't have to 'try' and not be from time to time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    10am Victoria Derbyshire looks back at the Commonwealth Games and finds a victim.

Ha! Good one. Mind you, if there was a genuine victim up for grabs, I dare say Victoria will have to wrestle Stephen Nolan for them! Might be quite a decent scrap. I'd probably risk a small flutter on Victoria...
    Five was once excellent listening. With the likes of Simon Mayo, Eddie Mair and Fi Glover and Jane Garvey it left LBC and TalkRadio and Talk Sport for dead.

Comparing those names with much of the current line-up is like comparing Ferraris with Sinclair C5s IMHO.
    Mark F wrote:
    Well they might dare to talk about the Championship and lower leagues which start next week then it will be Premier league action only..

Too true. And no doubt more blanket coverage of the top Premier League teams. The station isn't called 'Top5Live' for nothing! I only wish I could have 1p for every time the station will mention the name Louis van Gaal in the coming season. I dare say I could afford to retire to my own newly-purchased Caribbean island by Christmas...
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Why does the World War I Centenary Commonwealth Service have to be on both Radio 4 and 5 live at the same time? If you wanted to listen you could tune into Radio 4, 5 live should provide an alternative, it even has the same presenters James Naughtie and Colin MacKay.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you suggest as an alternative on Radio 5 ?
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    What do you suggest as an alternative on Radio 5 ?

Indoor womans championship wrestling and field sports from outer Mongolia 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we've had enough of that ! Zzzzzzzzz.
    Forum Member
    Taking the positives (!) out of the CG coverage, I thought Jonathan Overend was his usual solid self and did a good job as anchor. I'm so glad he's not just stuck on the Tennis tour like he was before.

And I was particularly impressed with Victoria Pendleton (swoon!). As it was her first time in the commentary box, I thought she did very well. My fav moment was when she went trackside to interview her old nemesis Anna Meares post-race and Anna kept interrupting the interview by saying 'I can't believe it's you!'.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I think we've had enough of that ! Zzzzzzzzz.

It hasn't stopped Fogarty having a look back at the games which went on and on and on until I re-tuned to Radio 4 for some intelligent listening and proper presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live will give coverage of the WW1 centenary today

6am Nicky Campbell discusses the football match between the soldiers during the Christmas truce
    10am Victoria Derbyshire looks into the Christmas truce football match during WW1
    12pm Shelagh's sports team looks into the players of the Christmas Truce football match
    2pm Richard Bacon interviews Gary Lineker about the Christmas Truce football match
    4pm Drivetime, live from the site of the Christmas Truce football match
    7pm 5 Live Sport, with Mike Ingham commentating on the Christmas Truce football match
    10.30pm Phil Williams with the Christmas Truce football match quiz
    1am Up All Night - Rhod Sharp with drug running in Columbia, plus a review of the Christmas Truce football match
    5.15am Wake Up To Money - did the Christmas Truce football match make much money?
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Today's Schedule Should Be:

0600 Five Live Breakfast - Usain Bolt gathers athletes from around the world to pay tribute to Nicky Campbell.
    1000 Victoria Derbyshire goes north...a headline in itself
    1200 Shelagh Fogarty - Shelagh marvels at how Glasgow captured the Merseyside spirit, Martin rants about the cost of frying a Mars bar and Dominic Laurie is briefly woken by the Glasgow noise.
    1400 Richard Bacon - Lively chat about Richard as his feet come to rest on the Commonwealth table
    1600 Drive - Peter Allen continues his random trip around the sporting arenas in search of a story, a brew and his glasses
    1900 Five Live Sport - Whilst colleagues trawl for his personality, Mark Pougatch, radio's very own speak your weight machine, churns out the stats and sits on the fence
    2230 Colin Patterson - The Yates Wine Lodge of the air as Colin accosts anyone sober enough to speak to him and his mate is left grovelling for interviews outside a TV studio.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live just need to come out and say they are now exclusively a sport station - at least they wouldn't have to 'try' and not be from time to time.

Sports and Misery Station, please. :-)
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

6am Nicky Campbell discusses the football match between the soldiers during the Christmas truce
    Lol! I didn't hear the earlier part of the Breakfast show., but actually you're not far out. I did hear a bit of Your Call on WW1 stories. And yes. NC predictably managed to rope in a bit of football discussion into proceedings via the 1914 Xmas truce. If 5 Live can dig up the most tenuous connection with football into a completely unrelated subject they'll use it.
  • brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks like Anna HAHAHAHAHAH faster is back from annual leave and gave birth to her baby she is back

also cant wait for the 5live refresh
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Anna "haha" Foster is back on Drive. (with Tony Livesey today). Although I'm not at all keen on her, she's better than Sam "Throaty" Walker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    radiotuner wrote: »
    1200 Shelagh Fogarty - Shelagh marvels at how Glasgow captured the Merseyside spirit, Martin rants about the cost of frying a Mars bar and Dominic Laurie is briefly woken by the Glasgow noise.

Didn't really find these "alternative" schedules all that amusing, but this entry really made me laugh - and I am a Fogarty fan!!!
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10am Victoria Derbyshire looks into the Christmas truce football match during WW1
    12pm Shelagh's sports team looks into the players of the Christmas Truce football match
    2pm Richard Bacon interviews Gary Lineker about the Christmas Truce football match
    7pm 5 Live Sport, with Mike Ingham commentating on the Christmas Truce football match
    1am Up All Night - Rhod Sharp with drug running in Columbia, plus a review of the Christmas Truce football match
    5.15am Wake Up To Money - did the Christmas Truce football match make much money?

Superb! :D:D:D
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    Today's Schedule Should Be:

0600 Five Live Breakfast - Usain Bolt gathers athletes from around the world to pay tribute to Nicky Campbell.
    1000 Victoria Derbyshire goes north...a headline in itself
    1400 Richard Bacon - Lively chat about Richard as his feet come to rest on the Commonwealth table
    1600 Drive - Peter Allen continues his random trip around the sporting arenas in search of a story, a brew and his glasses
    1900 Five Live Sport - Whilst colleagues trawl for his personality, Mark Pougatch, radio's very own speak your weight machine, churns out the stats and sits on the fence
    2230 Colin Patterson - The Yates Wine Lodge of the air as Colin accosts anyone sober enough to speak to him and his mate is left grovelling for interviews outside a TV studio.

Superb! :D:D:D

What is this Radioviewer and Radiotuner seem to be of the same view...it's like peace in our time....reminds me of that day at Christmas in 1914 where a football.......Oh Christ it's like a disease.... :(:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 5 often drives me mad, but mostly I think they've covered the WW1 commemorations very well.

Even Phil Williams programme this evening where people phoned in to describe what happened to their relatives during that war has excelled itself by being excellent.

It's a shame that it takes an event as horrendous as talking about WW1 to make Radio 5 stop burbling on about football & celebrities.

When the station puts it mind to cover serious subjects, it makes a good job of it.

It's also stopped most of the presenters going on endlessly about the Commonwealth Games !
    Forum Member
    Radio 5 often drives me mad, but mostly I think they've covered the WW1 commemorations very well.

Even Phil Williams programme this evening where people phoned in to describe what happened to their relatives during that war has excelled itself by being excellent.

It's a shame that it takes an event as horrendous as talking about WW1 to make Radio 5 stop burbling on about football & celebrities.

When the station puts it mind to cover serious subjects, it makes a good job of it.

It's also stopped most of the presenters going on endlessly about the Commonwealth Games !

I couldn't agree more. And, fair play to the station, credit where it's due. After the CG blanket coverage, today has been like a breath of fresh air.

5Live have the resources, I just wish they'd do more serious news programming. And as you say, it's a shame that it takes an event like this to remove the focus from the usual football/sport overkill.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My favourite post of the year!
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    My favourite post of the year!

Now that the CG are over no doubt all the Scottish presenters that the BBC used in Glasgow Campbell, Patterson, Ashmal...... will all return to their London homes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside, just switched on BBC News Channel for the headlines and gets what's on?

BLOODY SPORT.

They are obsessed. BBC, leave it to Sky, they do it better.
This discussion has been closed.