The Secrets - BBC1

tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just heard about this, seems to be 5 episodes starting sunday & running over 5 nights.

Sounds like they are 5 individual stories, some good casting

Wiki Page although on the BBC website says the first episode is called the Dilemma - Vet Pippa (Olivia Colman) is married to Shaun (Steve Oram) and expecting their first child. Pippa’s world is shaken when her mother Angela (Alison Steadman) is diagnosed with terminal cancer.

I like Alison Steadman & Olivia Colman, might be worth watching

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,539
    Forum Member
    I hope this is as good as it looks in the trailer. Some good names in there.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great cast involved in this. Olivia Colman, Alison Steadman and Emilia Fox to name a few. Can't wait to watch :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny - if these 5 half hour stand alone dramas were viewed as 'short films' then they would seem perfectly satisfactory and substantial for what they are but because they are part of a sort of anthology BBC TV series (like Jimmy McGovern's The Street and Moving On) they feel like they should be 45 mins - 1 hour long (or even have 2 or 3 parts to them)....and so therefore when the scant 30 mins is up and the story has all been wrapped up - you can't help but wish there was more time for story and character development and that it was 45 - 60 mins long.

I'm also amazed actresses of the calibre of Alison Steadman and Olivia Colman found time in their busy careers to do a 30 min one-off for TV (and one shown at such a surprisingly inconvenient late time slot on a Sunday night of all nights)

Maybe Mike Leigh should do one-off TV films again like he did with Nuts in May (1976), Abigail's Party (1977) and Meantime (1984).
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was it like? I was looking forward to it, but after five minutes decided that I did not feel like watching a depressing drama about someone dying and deciding about assisted suicide.

Is it worth watching when I am in the right mood for such a grim subject?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    What was it like? I was looking forward to it, but after five minutes decided that I did not feel like watching a depressing drama about someone dying and deciding about assisted suicide.

Is it worth watching when I am in the right mood for such a grim subject?
    Maybe watching Dot assist Ethel's death in EastEnders on Youtube (if you can) will be pretty much the same viewing experience, haha :D
    Forum Member
    I found it totally unrealistic. No way would the daughter get away with what she did.

I really wish some actors would put a bit of effort into sounding like someone else rather than themselves. I am sure they must be able to do accents?

It was just like a get together with Alison Steadman and Olivia Colman with OC crying again.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I found it totally unrealistic. No way would the daughter get away with what she did.

I really wish some actors would put a bit of effort into sounding like someone else rather than themselves. I am sure they must be able to do accents?

It was just like a get together with Alison Steadman and Olivia Colman with OC crying again.
    Yeah me too. Was she expecting the police to belive her mum had stolen the medicine after the break in or something ?
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's might be quite good. 10.35
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it very uncomfortable viewing but thought it was very well done. I have always loved Alison Steadman in anything and Oliver Colman was just perfect.
    Is this really such an unrealistic story, as some have suggested, when your loved one faces terminal illness then you live in a bubble outside of day to day reality.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Oddly I thought AS was drifting in to a poor attempt at an Irish accent at times and then decided not to bother and just went back to speaking like AS!

Anyone remember One Night which was on consecutive nights a couple of years back? It seemed like the BBC tried to lose it with a late night schedule. Wonder if it's the same with this? Again an excellent cast but little promotion.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched tonight's episode, what happened at the very end?
    Can someone explain ?
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    I've just watched tonight's episode, what happened at the very end?
    Can someone explain ?

Like at the church, the bride was trying to come to a decision on whether to keep faith in her husband or not. The fact that she saw him alone with her half-dressed sister and his aggressive behaviour in urging her to get into the car probably caused her to have second thoughts about him again. That's how I interpreted the ending anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very poor quality for BBC1.

This was made with no budget at all - the wedding must have been the smallest ever on TV, but you can forgive that if the story and characters are developed, but this really did not justice at all to what could have been a decent premise.
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been impressed with episode 1 and 2 so far.. This has been the only drama that has appealed to me from BBC1 this year..with the lateish timeslot it kind of reminds me of how I felt about One Night from 2012...really good drama shown after the news that deserves a primetime slot
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I was not concentrating but I thought she left the church, "let's drive, just lets go" so I assumed she did not get married. But next minute she is married, am I stupied,, what did I miss.
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Oddly I thought AS was drifting in to a poor attempt at an Irish accent at times and then decided not to bother and just went back to speaking like AS!

Anyone remember One Night which was on consecutive nights a couple of years back? It seemed like the BBC tried to lose it with a late night schedule. Wonder if it's the same with this? Again an excellent cast but little promotion.

I always thought acting was not being yourself :confused:

There is only 3 people that I rated highly in being great actors. Jean Alexander, Pam St Clements and Jacqueline Pirie (who played Tina Dingle) who to me is outstanding. She is very broad Scot and was shocked when I heard her out of character. They are what I call real actors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been impressed with episode 1 and 2 so far.. This has been the only drama that has appealed to me from BBC1 this year..with the lateish timeslot it kind of reminds me of how I felt about One Night from 2012...really good drama shown after the news that deserves a primetime slot

Are you related to Sarah Solemani by any chance?

We are all entitled to our opinions, but the best BBC1 drama this year? I have not seen every drama this year but if there is one worse than those two episodes I will be very surprised.
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Maybe I was not concentrating but I thought she left the church, "let's drive, just lets go" so I assumed she did not get married. But next minute she is married, am I stupied,, what did I miss.

You did not miss anything. The budget did not run to a scene in the church, or in a moving car, and Solemani could not write the scene herself, so we were made to assume that for some reason the bride decided to go through with it.

Did the sister forget to take off her leggings, or was she really going to wear them under her bridesmaid dress?
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Very poor quality for BBC1.

This was made with no budget at all - the wedding must have been the smallest ever on TV, but you can forgive that if the story and characters are developed, but this really did not justice at all to what could have been a decent premise.

I agree with you.

The trailers to theses looked so good.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it last night, just to see what it was like, and I thought it was well made.

Personally, it wasn't the sort of thing I'd watch again, partly because I don't like plays using fixed cameras, since I think it makes everything look "stagey" rather than natural.

However, I could appreciate its good points; I'm sure it'll be a hit with the critics.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a thirty minute drama, so it did not have the time to spell things out to us one syllable at a time. We had to use our imagination.
    Likewise, it probably didn't have the budget for a large-scale production. But should this matter? Do we really have to have lavish scenery to enjoy a production?

So many people on here ask for good dramas where not everything is spelled out 'American-style' and this series appears to be something they would like. Nothing wrong with that.

Last night's 'will she, won't she/did he, didn't he' short drama was, I think, just right for its 30 minute slot. It gave us something to ponder upon while we were watching, and it left an open ending which we could think about some more.
    Nicely done. Not spectacular by any means, but well worth watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »

If you're stupid then so am I because that's exactly what I thought. I thought she was dreaming that she had got married for a few seconds until I realised she actually had.

Not impressed with this, just seemed very lacking. And why would anyone feel the need to confess to a threesome that happened years ago. Who cares.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually like BBC dramas, but the adverts for this put me right off. So much OTT screaming and crying...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been disappointed by the first two plays I was not expecting much from the third one, so it was pleasant surprise. I thought that it was very well acted. Unlike in the previous play the characters were genuine and that we got to know and understand them.
  • Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great cast in tonight's episode but I thought it was pretty bad. I'm surprised the actors involved signed up for what was pretty flimsy stuff.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been pretty disappointed so far. I've seen better afternoon dramas on BBC1 and the long musical fillers looked just like that to me as opposed to setting a mood.

I could also do with a Prozac sandwich after watching some of them!