Options

Satlink Ws-6906

FRENCH SKYFRENCH SKY Posts: 267
Forum Member
I have recently purchased one of these meters. Not a bad performer considering the cost. The instructions are to say the least hopeless. Has anybody got one of these? and if so is it possible to alter the screen brightness,I've pressed everything but still can't brighten the image. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PolluxPollux Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I have a similar model, the WS-6908. So far as I have been able to discover there is no way of adjusting the screen brightness. In fact there are various comments on the Internet complaining about the difficulty in seeing the screen in strong light and some confirm that the brightness can't be adjusted.

I agree that the device is nevertheless pretty good (for the occasional dish set-up) and that the instructions are near to useless! I have created my own aide-memoires, one on the various functions and another on how to use the meter, derived from comments on on-line forums. Happy to send them to you by PM.
  • Options
    FRENCH SKYFRENCH SKY Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Thanks that would be great
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi Pollux,
    Could you please send me a copy of your aide-memoire - just about to use my WS-6906 for the first time and the instructions really don't help much.
    Thanks very much in anticipation!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oops - I can't see any way to add attachments! French Sky and smaltby, please see your PMs anyway, where you'll find my e-mail address. If you'd kindly send a mail to that address I'll reply with the aide-memoires.

Sorry to be awkward!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just found this link to a French user guide for the WS-6906.
    http://www.pce-france.fr/manuels/manuel-ws-6906.pdf

It's a bit better than the guide that comes with the meter, but it still doesn't describe how to use the device to do a dish setup. Nevertheless, it's very polite - I lost count of how many "S'il vous plait"s it contains!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guys, I've updated my 'personal user guide'. Here it is:

First of all, you need to scan in some channels, including Sky News and BBC1 (I suggest adding BBC2, ITV1 and Channel 4). They should be already in the meter but some of the frequencies changed recently and the details in the meter are probably wrong. Connect the meter to a working dish.

Click the Menu button and then select 'Satellite install' then TP Manager. Check that the satellite is the right one. If not, use the < > buttons to select it (probably appears as Astra 2A etc on your meter), then go down to find Freq 10773. Click F4 to do a scan - this should pick up BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4 and a few others. Then find Freq 12207 (on my meter it's 12205, which is close enough!). F4 again to scan and pick up Sky News etc.

Then find Freq 10758 (10757 on mine). F4 to scan and get ITV1, ITV2 and ITV4. Finally, find Freq 10714 (10713 on mine). F4 to get Channel 4. Press Exit until you get back to the TV screen. Using the up and down buttons you should be able to move between these selected channels and see and hear them on the screen.

To line up a dish you need to connect up to the dish, click the Menu button and then select 'Quick search' on the screen. Check that you are on the right satellite (if not, use the < > buttons) and that the LNB type is Universal. Go down to 'Frequency' and enter 12207. Then enter 27500 for Symbol Rate. Go further down (next screen) and set Polarity to V. These are the settings for Sky News. Don't change anything else!

Then press OK and the screen will show the Signal Strength and Quality. You need now to move the dish to maximise both of these. You may prefer to see the numbers rather than the bars: to do that, use the > button to move to Zoom and press OK.

Once you've lined up on Sky News, exit out until you get to the TV screen and check that image and sound are OK. Then repeat the process for one of the more sensitive channels, such as BBC1 (Frequency 10773, Symbol Rate 22000, Polarity H). Having done that you can check that this and the other channels appear OK on the TV screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And here is my summary of the Info, < > and Function buttons and what they do when the 'TV screen' is displayed. Hope it makes sense!

(To view the TV display from main menu, press Exit)
    INFO Channel and signal info
    < > Volume
    F1 Teletext
    F2 Subtitles
    F3 Channel list
    F4 TV guide (EPG)

When the channel list is displayed (F3) there is a "Tool" option which offers various functions related to the channels, similar to those in satellite receivers. These functions can be selected by using the < > buttons:
    Favourite
    Lock
    Edit
    Move
    Sort
    Invisible
    Delete
    Search
  • Options
    7pilot7pilot Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi guys.

I also have a WS-6908SE which arrived yesterday, Have to admit it looks brilliant for the money. Now it is charged fully I am off out to play with it, I concur that the manual it came with is totally unsatisfactory.

Last week I bought a new 130cm dish and managed to set it up with a metronic £10 finder but being a gadget freak just had to buy this.

I may end up motorising the dish next.

Thanks for the heads up on instructions
    Probably be back later with some quetions!

Terry