Muslim Plot to take over schools

Comments

• DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been demonstrated once again on this thread that no-one can define it - that is because it has no objective existence outside those who are attempting to define it.

It is indefinable, just as things like beauty and goodness are inherently indefinable.

The only thing that has been demonstrated is your lack of knowledge of what culture actually is.

Kaber tossing is definable, is that an example of British culture?
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    The only thing that has been demonstrated is your lack of knowledge of what culture actually is.

Kaber tossing is definable, is that an example of British culture?

Oh for goodness sake! Culture isn't a list of activities/objects/meals etc etc !

Read post 332.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it doesn't really.

Then it should do, if you need any help understanding it, make a few local enquiries to people who have been around a long time....or even some of the younger ones.
    Are you saying what British culture was then was "right" and what it is now is "wrong"?

An irrelevant diversionary tactic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake! Culture isn't a list of activities/objects/meals etc etc !

Read post 332.

Kaber tossing isn't an item on a list it is a cultural activity a disctinctly British one or Scottish for you seperatists :p

You really have no idea what culture is.
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British culture - stiff upper lip, queuing, Sunday roast, Cricket on the lawn, Jam tarts, tea and scones.

That's the crux of it. Not flaming Chicken Tikka. That is Indian culture.
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »

Then it should do, if you need any help understanding it, make a few local enquiries to people who have been around a long time....or even some of the younger ones.

An irrelevant diversionary tactic.

Understanding what exactly? :confused:

I was born in the early '50s - I know how much society has changed, but what has that got to do with anything?
    Forum Member
    Kaber tossing isn't an item on a list it is a cultural activity a disctinctly British one or Scottish for you seperatists :p

You really have no idea what culture is.

Well, I don't pretend to be able to define it.

But there again, neither do you seemingly.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Understanding what exactly? :confused:

You use :confused: quite a lot. You're conceivably the only person on here who doesn't know what I mean.
    I was born in the early '50s - I know how much society has changed, but what has that got to do with anything?

Another avoidance.
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »

You use :confused: quite a lot. You're conceivably the only person on here who doesn't know what I mean.

Another avoidance.

Please indulge me and explain. You have said compared to the past the country today is completely different.

How is that obvious statement germane to the point under discussion?

And what avoidance? It was you who brought up age.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you can't, for each is ultimately the subjective view of an individual, and no one has the right to definitively state what constitutes British culture, as such a thing is impossible.

Giving examples of what you think is included in British culture merely underlines the impossibility of defining it - and with it the inevitable descent into the farce that are those lists.

Not so, I repeat there are many things that are intrinsic parts of British Culture, many of them may also be intrinsic parts of other cultures and yes it is subjective but again if that subjective opinion is held by many then it is inclusive and if it cannot be attributed to another culture then it is inherently British. That then makes it objective.
    The poems of Houseman are intrinsically British and therefore are not part of another culture just as the Kama Sutra is part of another culture and not British.
    I give examples to illustrate the point not as definitive aspects of British Culture. As I said for many people the examples I have given will not figure in their own cultural values whereas others will.
    Just to add one point it is fairly normal for those on here to talk of British Culture and then the likes of you to come along and belittle that point of view, ask what it is, demand definitions and sneer when some say they know what it is and they know what it is not. It is the denial of its existence or the denigration of it overall by concentrating on the negative cultural proclivities such as weekend boozing that irritates and makes it seem more obvious that there is a wish, a plan, a clear attempt to change or subsume it by force. That is not acceptable for any culture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I don't pretend to be able to define it.

But there again, neither do you seemingly.......

customs, traditions, architecture, art, music, law, literature, humor, language. I see British culture everyday when i walk outside, turn on the tv or radio and open a book or magazine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please indulge me and explain. You have said compared to the past the country today is completely different.

How is that obvious statement germane to the point under discussion?

And what avoidance? It was you who brought up age.

I think I'll leave it as it is since this board can be seen by enough people to decide who is right.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason why people sneer Blair is because you on the far Right make a massive deal about the sanctity of British culture and the way it is currently under threat and yet when pressed to state what in reality it is come out with rather lame statements like "it is what it is" and "British culture is British culture".

It is not sanctity and we have just had a rather long exchange where we seem to agree that cultures are indefinable but exist because they are recognisable. No people in the world like to see their culture under threat because it is their culture. I am not sure why British people should be any different and receive less respect for opposing enforced cultural change than any other group throughout history. Some seem to think it is a criminal act when it was carried out by Empire, perhaps they are right but it should be applied equally to all cultures and even more so now because the wrongness of it is appreciated in the modern world.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Muslims took a school over my kids went to I would pull them out of that school right away no question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been demonstrated once again on this thread that no-one can define it - that is because it has no objective existence outside those who are attempting to define it.

It is indefinable, just as things like beauty and goodness are inherently indefinable.

Can any country define its culture?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they are not objective - how can they be? Someone (paul2307) who was arguing like you against me on this thread posted something interesting on this subject from Warwick University. This is some of it. The rest of it makes interesting reading too.
    According to a dictionary Culture is the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively. The ideas, customs, and social behavior of a particular people or society.
    So for British culture they are objective things that could be written down in a vast list.

The word culture in your opinion obviously has a different definition, please give your dictionary definition of the word culture. And please use a different word rather than the word culture if you are going to define the word as having a different meaning to its meaning in the English language. As using a common English word and attaching an alternate meaning to it just causes confusion.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course! It is those who attempt to define a nation's culture - generally those of the far Right - who are trying to put the indefinable into a straitjacket for their own nefarious political ends.

Those saying that there is a British culture (who may or may not be on the right) do not attempt to list all the parts. It's like "love" - undefinable but you know when it hits you.

Will you be starting a thread to say "love" doesn't exist?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Those saying that there is a British culture (who may or may not be on the right) do not attempt to list all the parts. It's like "love" - undefinable but you know when it hits you.

Will you be starting a thread to say "love" doesn't exist?

Can any country say they have their own culture?
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you would have no objections if "beauty and goodness" were replaced with ugliness and badness?

Because that's the argument you seem to be putting forward whenever there is a thread about British culture being replaced.
    If it can't be defined, it cannot be replaced.

It's a very weak argument TBH.
    But I suppose it keeps you off the streets.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like ,
    Muslim plot to take over UK , Europe , World .
    Wow...
    you wicked infidel...Off with the unbelievers head..:
    :o

• solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Can any country say they have their own culture?
    Of course. Who else would it belong to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Of course. Who else would it belong to?

But why do some people say the British don't have a culture.?
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread now about culture ? ., the title is Muslim plot to take over schools . Just been mentioned again on BBC news , in Birmingham . On the first page i said it is more about a plot to take over UK , Europe and the World and I still say that , because the Muslims themselves actually say this , they are not hiding it.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread now about culture ? ., the title is Muslim plot to take over schools . Just been mentioned again on BBC news , in Birmingham . On the first page i said it is more about a plot to take over UK , Europe

Only been happening for the last 1,400 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would pull their kids out of a school if Muslims took it over?