How soon after my driving test can I drive on my own?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
Forum Member
I know you have to be driven home by your instructor, but how soon after that. Is it a couple of hours or what?

Comments

• 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as you get back you can.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you have to be driven home by your instructor, but how soon after that. Is it a couple of hours or what?

If you pass - immediately :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Immediately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out for drive on my own the evening I passed my test, which was earlier that morning.

To be honest I was bricking it just a bit! It's a strange thing being alone and driving a car for the first time, but pretty liberating at the same time! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not driven since i passed, with the exception of my 'PassPlus' a couple of months ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies. I have got my test next tuesday and know that my instructor will drive me back if i pass, but then I plan on getting straight into my own car and feeling the independence. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. I have got my test next tuesday and know that my instructor will drive me back if i pass, but then I plan on getting straight into my own car and feeling the independence. :)

Insured, obviously?
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 17, I passed my test, got home around lunchtime and then went to pick up two of my mates from school.

After barely 5 minutes of driving, I was pulled over by a policeman.

The reason?

A random stop to check who the car was registered to. He explained it was because "young people tend to steal cars."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as soon as you get on the insurance for your own car!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Telly_Man wrote: »
    Insured, obviously?

I have my own car and it's insured, yes. 1.3 fiesta at 39 quid a month, not bad for someone who hasn't passed yet. ;)

I have been learning for just under 3 months. :) So chuffed that I caught on so quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im really looking forward to learning, only 7 months! :)
    Dad got my sister through her test (he passed driving instructors tests) so said he should get me through!
    And yes as soon as you've passed you can drive as long as you have insurance.

By the way, a bit of a longshot but does anyone know how much insurance would cost on a 1.1L Ford Fiesta (M Reg) if my sister who is 20 remained the primary driver and I was put on her insurance? (I would be 17). And shes got a clean licence.

Cheers! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I have my own car and it's insured, yes. 1.3 fiesta at 39 quid a month, not bad for someone who hasn't passed yet. ;)

I have been learning for just under 3 months. :) So chuffed that I caught on so quickly.
    You will need to re-insure once you pass though, i'm sure.

The policy you'll have will be for a provisional licence, not full. :)
    Forum Member
    Salt wrote: »
    Im really looking forward to learning, only 7 months! :)
    Dad got my sister through her test (he passed driving instructors tests) so said he should get me through!
    And yes as soon as you've passed you can drive as long as you have insurance.

By the way, a bit of a longshot but does anyone know how much insurance would cost on a 1.1L Ford Fiesta (M Reg) if my sister who is 20 remained the primary driver and I was put on her insurance? (I would be 17). And shes got a clean licence.

Cheers! :)
    Are you male? It'll be quite high if you are.

I reckon you'll be looking to pay about £1000.. it may be slightly different depending on how long your sister has had her licence. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I got drove home by the instructor and needed a pack of cigs said to my mum I was going to the garage to get a pack. She said oh take the car and I said no thanks its the last time i'll walk to it :p
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »

Not re-insure, but you will need to let them know you have passed your test.
    Forum Member
    Finglonga wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd need to re-do the details. I had to anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Finglonga wrote: »

Im insured with Tesco and when I passed I just gave them a call and they updated m details - that way I got to keep my no claims :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you have to be driven home by your instructor

It's not compulsory for your instructor to drive the car home.

If he/she chooses to, they can let you drive it instead.

Also, what happens if it's your own (or a friend's/relative's) car?

Or if you took it on a motorbike?

I took my car test in my father's car, and drove it home, and along the motorway an hour later.

And when I took my bike test, I rode to the test centre and back again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »

Untrue.

The policy covers the policyholder/named driver, whatever their status, provisional or qualified.
    Forum Member
    Untrue.

The policy covers the policyholder/named driver, whatever their status, provisional or qualified.
    Oh right, I didn't realise. I wasn't insured on ANY car before I passed, apart from my Instructors - I was just going from the experience which my sister had where she had to adjust her details, I thought it was compulsory, obviously not.:)
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to wait for 2 hours after the test.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »

Er....Since when? Source please :confused:
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    I don't think so. What makes you say this?
  • Mr. XMr. X Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my test in my own car, but I didn't drive it back. It was in my home town, so I got my dad to do it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. X wrote: »
    I took my test in my own car, but I didn't drive it back. It was in my home town, so I got my dad to do it!

I used my father's car, and my brother (who was on leave from the army) was my accompanying driver to the test centre.

After the test, I drove round the corner onto the main road to collect him from some shops, where he had gone for a packet of cigarettes.