Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    Thank you Susie. There are other nice photos on that Facebook site too.:D He doesn't look too thin in those pics.:cool:

Ahh, yes, I forgot to mention the other pix. Just got way too excited over that one, I guess!!!;)

He is thinner but he still works for me.:p
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Less lovemaking or less talk about lovemaking?

:p;)

I don't mind the talk about it, it is always interesting to see other's take on various facets of the show.
    I just don't need to see a wrestling match to understand what has gone on. I would like to see more show of affection from DM toward LGE. I'm afraid I may sound a little judgemental here which isn't my intent.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being fairly new to this forum, I am doing something that you "old timers" have done ad infinitum. I am doing a rewatch. I hope you will bear with me because there are new members... Like Patricia_Smith.....if that's her real name....who might enjoy some little things that I have noticed. Please excuse the fact that I have a dry and abut sarcastic sense of humor. I find myself having to say "just kidding" a lot in case I am being rude but if I slip up take what I say with a grain of salt and chalk it up to my lunacy.

I have watched quite a bit of MC in other pieces besides DM and I'm absolutely infatuated as you know. Some things I have noticed are just little bits of trivia that maybe I don't understand . Some of it has to do with names and the cadre of actors that show up in different roles in MC works. Right.

S1E1. Going Bodmin
    Obviously early in character development . Doc meets Louisa in typical awkward fashion. Is approved by board. Displays first clumsiness and distraction by Louisa by bumping into door. Smiles a bit..also says "shit". Not likely to happen later on.

S1E2. Gentlemen Prefer
    Official opening of surgery.
    An early patient, Mrs. Black the matchmaker will later be Dr Dibbs in S4...a few lbs later I would say. If anyone can tell me how "chicken fillets " can help a girl who is "flat as a Scottish pancake" let me know.
    Roger Fenn - the last name is derived from the name of a collie owned by Caroline Quentin, MC's costar in MBB. Dog's name is Fenn (from A Dog's Life). Roger is also the same actor who played a cross dresser in William and Mary, Jeff Rawle.
    Louisa has two apples and an onion or one apple, a plum and an onion on the dashboard of her car....on her dashboard?! What does it mean?

S2E3. Sh*t Happens
    Mrs. Willow and her son with diarrhea. "It's his Bo'hum...aren't you gonna look at his Bo'hum? Will later be Mrs. Barnes (I think that's right) Auntie Joan's animal psychologist friend who is hospitalized after a fall and has an infected diverticula that Edith misdiagnoses .
    The mention of Mrs. Braithwaite and her daughter Emily Braithwaite who live at 5 Playfull Lane....cute
    This is really grasping at straws. In the fish market scene when Roger Fenn is buying a lobster and the Doc is on the radio Louisa is smelling oysters...a known aphrodisiac . That's essay out there.
    The young reporter from the paper, Mr. Johnson, will later be the clerk at the Castle Hotel in S5. His Cornish accent is particularly severe.

Well, that's enough for now considering I am typing on an I-phone. It's also interesting to look out for MC's VW vans to show up on the beach. They there now and then..the dark brown one and the blue one. BP is brilliantly personal!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Remember the picture where MC was standing stiffly smiling at the camera and a lot of people thought he was sick? Well there was another one posted recently which looked the same. When I get on the computer I will try and find it. Not saying MC is I attractive at all I am saying occasionally he stands stiffly with a weird grin on his face for photos which isn't his best look. Natural, unstated photos of him are better, to me anyway.
    Am on mobile ATM.

cc, I understand your point completely. I just think that no one can always be at their most attractive no matter what. And I just like giving him that space to be human.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I don't mind the talk about it, it is always interesting to see other's take on various facets of the show.
    I just don't need to see a wrestling match to understand what has gone on. I would like to see more show of affection from DM toward LGE. I'm afraid I may sound a little judgemental here which isn't my intent.

lemster, I agree about not needing to see it. The lead-up to it, okay. The afterward, great. Maybe seeing the deed doesn't appeal to me because I know it is acting as well as there is nothing left to guess at.

I don't mind reading it like in some of the fanfiction, as then my imagination still has a place to fill in the blanks, and that's quite delightful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Being fairly new to this forum, I am doing something that you "old timers" have done ad infinitum. I am doing a rewatch. I hope you will bear with me because there are new members... Like Patricia_Smith.....if that's her real name....who might enjoy some little things that I have noticed. Please excuse the fact that I have a dry and abut sarcastic sense of humor. I find myself having to say "just kidding" a lot in case I am being rude but if I slip up take what I say with a grain of salt and chalk it up to my lunacy.

I have watched quite a bit of MC in other pieces besides DM and I'm absolutely infatuated as you know. Some things I have noticed are just little bits of trivia that maybe I don't understand . Some of it has to do with names and the cadre of actors that show up in different roles in MC works. Right.

S1E1. Going Bodmin
    Obviously early in character development . Doc meets Louisa in typical awkward fashion. Is approved by board. Displays first clumsiness and distraction by Louisa by bumping into door. Smiles a bit..also says "shit". Not likely to happen later on.

S1E2. Gentlemen Prefer
    Official opening of surgery.
    An early patient, Mrs. Black the matchmaker will later be Dr Dibbs in S4...a few lbs later I would say. If anyone can tell me how "chicken fillets " can help a girl who is "flat as a Scottish pancake" let me know.
    Roger Fenn - the last name is derived from the name of a collie owned by Caroline Quentin, MC's costar in MBB. Dog's name is Fenn (from A Dog's Life). Roger is also the same actor who played a cross dresser in William and Mary, Jeff Rawle.
    Louisa has two apples and an onion or one apple, a plum and an onion on the dashboard of her car....on her dashboard?! What does it mean?

S2E3. Sh*t Happens
    Mrs. Willow and her son with diarrhea. "It's his Bo'hum...aren't you gonna look at his Bo'hum? Will later be Mrs. Barnes (I think that's right) Auntie Joan's animal psychologist friend who is hospitalized after a fall and has an infected diverticula that Edith misdiagnoses .
    The mention of Mrs. Braithwaite and her daughter Emily Braithwaite who live at 5 Playfull Lane....cute
    This is really grasping at straws. In the fish market scene when Roger Fenn is buying a lobster and the Doc is on the radio Louisa is smelling oysters...a known aphrodisiac . That's essay out there.
    The young reporter from the paper, Mr. Johnson, will later be the clerk at the Castle Hotel in S5. His Cornish accent is particularly severe.

Well, that's enough for now considering I am typing on an I-phone. It's also interesting to look out for MC's VW vans to show up on the beach. They there now and then..the dark brown one and the blue one. BP is brilliantly personal!

I'll try to fill you in as best I can.
    S1E1 - That first episode was probably a pilot one. MC has said in interviews that he intentionally made DM more crumpy in later seasons.

S1E2 - I've never understood that joke about 'chicken fillets' either. Maybe it's British humor :confused:

About the vegetables that appear in quite a few scenes - I think it's a set designer having some fun. In the first season there was someone behind the scenes whose last name was Onion. Also, in one of the earlier seasons, I think 3, DM holds an eggplant and two tomatoes? in a unique way-very funny:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    Speaking of emotional. Does anyone else think that it is a little odd that Martin Ellingham, a vascular surgeon and the a GP seems obsessed with women's hormones? I think he said something to Louisa first about his interest in women's hormones and then after the concert his comment about her emotions and her period indicated he was interested in the subject. It seems like something a gynecologist or obstetrician might be interested in but why a vascular surgeon/GP?

He is a very scientific man, who is interested in a woman he doesn't understand at all. She is acting odd, in his view. There must be an explanation, and the most obvious difference between men and women, medically speaking, are their hormones. So, maybe, in studying them he hopes to understand Louisa better and might be able to predict her reactions more accurately.
    Just my two cents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Mofromco

In S1E1, Martin does say "shit" again when he sees the Colonel run after this wife

"Scottish pancake" is a flat chested women. "Chicken fillets" are pads used in a bra to enhance a woman's breasts.

The actress who played the role of Mrs. Willow also played Barbara Collingsworth, the patient being treated by Edith Montgomery.

Both the oysters and vegetables on Louisa's dashboard have sexual innuendo, as does the scene when Martin encounters Louisa and is grasping two tomatoes and an eggplant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    He is a very scientific man, who is interested in a woman he doesn't understand at all. She is acting odd, in his view. There must be an explanation, and the most obvious difference between men and women, medically speaking, are their hormones. So, maybe, in studying them he hopes to understand Louisa better and might be able to predict her reactions more accurately.
    Just my two cents.

Well now that you mention it, it would appear that his response to Louisa after the concert is strange. Obviously he has had some experience in the romance department (maybe a lot?), since he has already had a past relationship with Edith. We, the audience, don't know it at the point where Martin and Louisa go under the tree, but later at Edith's conference, we understand that they have had an intimate relationship. So it is not as though Doc Martin is naive. Possibly he just cannot abandon himself at what would seem to be the perfect opportunity. We can see from his behaviour in the car on the way home that he could not see a problem--again, he is trying to analyze. Perhaps, as you say, BodminDM, he hopes to understand Louisa--and maybe he never had any trouble understanding Edith!
    Forum Member
    Well now that you mention it, it would appear that his response to Louisa after the concert is strange. Obviously he has had some experience in the romance department (maybe a lot?), since he has already had a past relationship with Edith. We, the audience, don't know it at the point where Martin and Louisa go under the tree, but later at Edith's conference, we understand that they have had an intimate relationship. So it is not as though Doc Martin is naive. Possibly he just cannot abandon himself at what would seem to be the perfect opportunity. We can see from his behaviour in the car on the way home that he could not see a problem--again, he is trying to analyze. Perhaps, as you say, BodminDM, he hopes to understand Louisa--and maybe he never had any trouble understanding Edith!

I just finished re-watching Season 1, Ep 2 with the diagnosis of throat cancer in Roger Fenn. When DM goes to visit Roger in the hospital before surgery there is a discussion about DM's hemophilia. The very first thing DM says after Roger asks him what brings it on is, 'Smells, cauterized flesh, etc.' I'm doing this from memory, but he definitely says the word smells. So, DM has a heightened sense of smell. Hence the questions about LG's breath, perfume, and Edith's perfume smelling of cheese.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member

Sorry, from what we've seen from Edith I'm not quite sure if she falls under the category "woman". She was a medical peer who just happened to be of the opposite sex. I can't really see her getting emotional.
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Sorry, from what we've seen from Edith I'm not quite sure if she falls under the category "woman". She was a medical peer who just happened to be of the opposite sex. I can't really see her getting emotional.

"Well spotted!" as Edith succinctly replied. But does this not lead us to wonder at the past romantic liaison between her and Martin? We know she is capable of kisses, efficient though they may have been. But they were engaged and as for going beyond the kiss--equally efficient?
    Forum Member
    I just finished re-watching Season 1, Ep 2 with the diagnosis of throat cancer in Roger Fenn. When DM goes to visit Roger in the hospital before surgery there is a discussion about DM's hemophilia. The very first thing DM says after Roger asks him what brings it on is, 'Smells, cauterized flesh, etc.' I'm doing this from memory, but he definitely says the word smells. So, DM has a heightened sense of smell. Hence the questions about LG's breath, perfume, and Edith's perfume smelling of cheese.:eek:

Yes, yes, Portwenn59, we know he is acutely aware of smells--but to the extent that he spoils it when Louisa makes her advance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Well spotted!" as Edith succinctly replied. But does this not lead us to wonder at the past romantic liaison between her and Martin? We know she is capable of kisses, efficient though they may have been. But they were engaged and as for going beyond the kiss--equally efficient?

And then there is Aunt Joan telling Louisa that "he wanted to marry her (Edith)" in that very insinuating voice that seems to tell more than the words. But Edith went off to Canada for a job instead. But until Edith in the hotel says, "You've seen it before, Ellingham...." And it did seem that he noticed her lingerie in the drawer and that she would have "dressed" for the occasion (probably knowing what he would like from past experience). And then of course the poetry he'd written for her. I'm not sure "efficient" would go that far. There seems to be a bit more passion and romance to them and they were young students then.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, Portwenn59, we know he is acutely aware of smells--but to the extent that he spoils it when Louisa makes her advance?

One of the things we have discussed before is that when Martin feels he is getting emotional and losing control he drops into medical-speak because that is where he is most comfortable. Growing up there was no room for emotions in that family and the only adult relationship that we know he has had was with a woman who is not at all emotional.

So that is scary territory for him and he needs to go to a comfortable place - medicine.
    Forum Member
    And then there is Aunt Joan telling Louisa that "he wanted to marry her (Edith)" in that very insinuating voice that seems to tell more than the words. But Edith went off to Canada for a job instead. But until Edith in the hotel says, "You've seen it before, Ellingham...." And it did seem that he noticed her lingerie in the drawer and that she would have "dressed" for the occasion (probably knowing what he would like from past experience). And then of course the poetry he'd written for her. I'm not sure "efficient" would go that far. There seems to be a bit more passion and romance to them and they were young students then.

Thank you for the details, SusieSagitarius, because this is what I have been trying to express (with limited success!). That they (Martin and Edith) definitely had been lovers and so when Louisa made her move why did Martin begin his absurd analysis? Because it's been so long that he has forgotten? Doubtful--and let us not forget that he has been longing for Louisa all along! I would imagine that the writers just thought up a good story segment here that fit with what was to take place the next day! It brings a poignant note when you describe Martin and Edith as young students and him writing her the love poem, because I hadn't imagined them in that way before, especially because Edith is the one you love to hate... sort of sad...
    Forum Member

I realize you are rather new on the forum and maybe don't understand how what you write 'sounds' when you respond to someone. One 'yes' would have been appropriate. Maybe this is why some of our British friends have stopped checking in on DS. :(
    Forum Member
    I realize you are rather new on the forum and maybe don't understand how what you write 'sounds' when you respond to someone. One 'yes' would have been appropriate. Maybe this is why some of our British friends have stopped checking in on DS. :(

Are you saying that my style of writing is offensive to some forum members?
    Forum Member
    Are you saying that my style of writing is offensive to some forum members?

What I'm saying is that we have to watch how we respond to others, that's all.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that there has always been a tendency to believe that Edith seduced Martin while in Medical School. He was a brilliant student with the physical attributes of being tall, strong and malleable. He was putty in her hands. These many years later he has grown. I believe that he has the sexual know how that perhaps Edith has cultivated but still does not handle the true emotion of love for another. I think that this naïveté is what you see in the "sandalwood" question or the "emotional" remark. Yes the Doc has had sex, but it did not really mesh with love. That's why the innocent "emotional" statements and the queries of hormonal effects. The man is feeling his own emotions for the first time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Rob, this was a research survey...am I right??:)
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    One of the things we have discussed before is that when Martin feels he is getting emotional and losing control he drops into medical-speak because that is where he is most comfortable. Growing up there was no room for emotions in that family and the only adult relationship that we know he has had was with a woman who is not at all emotional.

So that is scary territory for him and he needs to go to a comfortable place - medicine.

Martin is, to use the technical term, tap dancing... Also called slinging b.s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'm saying is that we have to watch how we respond to others, that's all.:)

Yeah, so let us all be civil and not sarcastic? Right? Text leaves few chances to get many nuances, so chill. For, you see, I read YOUR comment as being awful... :/

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Yeah, so let us all be civil and not sarcastic? Right? Text leaves few chances to get many nuances, so chill. For, you see, I read YOUR comment as being awful... :/

Rob

Everyone..look at what I wrote and make your decision. No need to battle. Our Doc is a product of whatever his background is..up to and including the domination of Edith in his background. He is a "babe in the woods" emotionally despite being able to function in a heterosexual relationship . He knows what to to do and what he likes despite knowing what is real . What is "real" is new to him hence the questions about hormones or scents. This is so real but I don't think he knows what to to do with it. Brilliant and incredibly stimulating..don't you think ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    At the risk of offending anyone with another "not to get too graphic statement," but Martin was in his 20s when he had a relationship with Edith. Men in that age group are physiologically much more focused on the sexual aspects of a relationship rather than the emotional aspects. Twenty years later, Martin has shifted to the emotional side, and he is very uncomfortable with this new state of being.
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »

Rob

Your right Rob. I apologize to Last Romantic and to anyone else I offended. I shouldn't have said what I did. Please forgive me.
This discussion has been closed.