Amazon and its revised rules.

13»

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Agreed and I still think the op was misleading. The vast majority of items are still free postage with no minimum spend.

Are you able to to prove your assertion?
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought a number of items recently including 4 or 5 things ranging in price from £2 - £4 with no problems and no delivery charge. I did see something that cost about £1 which was offered if you spent £20 or more. I believe these are add on items that used to only be for sale in multipacks and not individually. Obviously they are trying to save on postage and encourage you to spend more but the simple solution for me if I wasn't spending that amount anyway would be to get the cheap item somewhere else.

That's my experience as well. The other items aren't available for sale "on their own" but are there as additional cheap items (usually things they're getting rid of) on an optional "if you've spent £20 do you want this for a £1 as well" basis.
    Forum Member
    PJ2 wrote: »
    It definitely used to be £20.

Still was as of 15:00 hrs today.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Still was as of 15:00 hrs today.
    Well, it wasn't when I posted the following link in post #18 in this thread at 09:37 this morning, and it still isn't!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-Squeakair-Ball-Medium-Pack/dp/B000A8CUSM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1370100195&sr=8-6&keywords=Kong

Where did you see the reference to £20 on Amazon?
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Well, it wasn't when I posted the following link in post #18 in this thread at 09:37 this morning, and it still isn't!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kong-Squeakair-Ball-Medium-Pack/dp/B000A8CUSM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1370100195&sr=8-6&keywords=Kong

I went back to purchase the item that started my thread in the first place. It has never been a multi-pack item and it still says I can only have it when I spend £20 with them. The point is you want the goods when you want them. It might be another 6 months before I make another order. Having to wait for your original item over that timescale or longer is not acceptable. Any one that thinks it is will accept anything that is thrown at them.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    OP - I can't really comment on your experience, but only this week I purchased something from Amazon that cost £4.50. I chose the 3 - 5 day free delivery, so in total I paid £4.50. I didn't see anything that suggested it was too low a value to buy on its own, so presumably it only applies under specific circumstances such as yours.

Same with me, I've always used the 3-5 delivery and never had a problem with it, only yesterday I bought 2 BDs in their 2 for £10 sale and even with one £5 one it cost me £5 with free shipping.
    Edit: Ah now I see what the OP is talking about, the new Add-On programme, hadnt heard that before :confused:
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

It looks to me as though they're editing the qualifying amount for various items. If you go to the page above, and click on the 'Details' link, the page which opens keeps referring to £10, but includes this statement :
    For example, you could order a £5 keyring that's an Add-on item with two books at £7.50 each, or anything else that gets your order to £10 or more of items which are dispatched by Amazon.

Which makes sense for £20, but not for £10.
    Forum Member
    I just think this is really bad. If I go into my local shop on my way to work for a newspaper and some sweets I don't expect the shopkeeper to tell me I can't have them as I haven't spent enough, or even to come back in a few days when my total bill should have exceeded x amount. :mad:
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I just think this is really bad. If I go into my local shop on my way to work for a newspaper and some sweets I don't expect the shopkeeper to tell me I can't have them as I haven't spent enough, or even to come back in a few days when my total bill should have exceeded x amount. :mad:

Maybe that's because your local shop doesn't have to take the item off the shelf, pack it and then post it off to you. To do all of that takes time and time equals money. ;)
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Maybe that's because your local shop doesn't have to take the item off the shelf, pack it and then post it off to you. To do all of that takes time and time equals money. ;)

Substitute shopkeeper for John Lewis, Ebuyer and many more who aren't employing these tactics.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Substitute shopkeeper for John Lewis, Ebuyer and many more who aren't employing these tactics.

So are you saying the above sellers, will send out a £1.00 hdmi cable and not charge you any postage?
    Forum Member
    So are you saying the above sellers, will send out a £1.00 hdmi cable and not charge you any postage?

You obviously haven't really absorbed what has been said in this thread. This isn't about postage, I was more than prepared to pay postage. However, Amazon don't give you that option with the Add-On. Unless you purchase the amount they want you can't have the item, postage or no postage.

BTW, I purchased the item through eBay, cheaper and with free postage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes as no surprise today to read that Amazon is now tightening up its free Super Saver Delivery rules, dispatch and delivery costs being the real target of the add-on program. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201210860 They have introduced a £10 minimum spend on certain item groups. Books, DVDs, CDs, games and software are exempt, so there's no minimum spend for those and you could add other item products to orders with those products to get around this minimum spend.

So, for people who use super saver delivery at least, the add-on program is redundant now. Certain categories now require a £10 spend on all items, whether the item's marked add-on or not. They may well keep the add-on program going though, because it also stops Prime users from buying low-value items and having these delivered free.