Options

The Nations Favourite 80's Number Ones

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
Forum Member
Tonight at 9pm on ITV. Quite looking forward to this. Following on from 70's number ones, Motown and Abba and Queen this is the latest in this occasional series. Zoe Ball counts down the 20 favourite number one hits from the 80's. Featuring songs like Come On Eileen, Dont You Want Me, Billie Jean, Karma Chameleon and Total Eclipse Of The Heart with contributions from members of Spandau Ballet, Dexys Midnight Runners and Madness and others. Really difficult to predict what song will top this countdown. The 70's one was obvious that Bohemian Rhapsody would be top but this is hard to predict. Presumably Band Aid will be featured so that may be in the top 5.

Comments

• Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of them I'd expect to be first half of the 80s.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads-up, read somewhere that this was going to be on ITV, but it didn't given a date.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Really difficult to predict what song will top this countdown. The 70's one was obvious that Bohemian Rhapsody would be top but this is hard to predict. Presumably Band Aid will be featured so that may be in the top 5.

I really enjoyed the 70s Number Ones show from a few months ago despite the fact that I don't remember any of the 70s (I was born in 78'). I even bought the accompanying Nation's Favourite 70s Number Ones album off the back of it.

I'm really looking forward to this as I have more of a first hand memory of this decade. As you say it's going to be really difficult to predict the Number One. I'm guessing, like you, Band Aid will be somewhere near the top, if not come out on top completely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the 70s Number Ones show from a few months ago despite the fact that I don't remember any of the 70s (I was born in 78'). I even bought the accompanying Nation's Favourite 70s Number Ones album off the back of it.

I'm really looking forward to this as I have more of a first hand memory of this decade. As you say it's going to be really difficult to predict the Number One. I'm guessing, like you, Band Aid will be somewhere near the top, if not come out on top completely.

There is an album to accompany this too. It was released yesterday. 60 tracks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    My top 10 No. 1s of the 1980's (in chronological order).

Use It Up And Wear it Out - Odyssey 1980
    Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie 1980
    Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club 1982
    Beat Surrender - Jam 1982
    Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood 1984
    I Feel For you - Chaka Khan 1984
    I'm Your Man - Wham! 1985
    Pump Up The Volume - Marrs 1987
    Theme From S Express - S Express 1988
    Back To Life - Soul II Soul 1989

Sorry for the totally self indulgent post. I bet only 'Relax' - FGTH. makes it on the list on telly
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    These nation ones fans tend to hate as they seem so one sided. I remember tons complaining about the Abba & Queen ones.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These nation ones fans tend to hate as they seem so one sided. I remember tons complaining about the Abba & Queen ones.

I don't remember many complaints about the Abba one. An excellent Top 3, The Day Before You Came, Dancing Queen and The Winner Takes It All (and the last of these must surely feature on tonight's show).
  • Options
    TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My top 10 No. 1s of the 1980's (in chronological order).

Use It Up And Wear it Out - Odyssey 1980
    Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie 1980
    Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club 1982
    Beat Surrender - Jam 1982
    Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood 1984
    I Feel For you - Chaka Khan 1984
    I'm Your Man - Wham! 1985
    Pump Up The Volume - Marrs 1987
    Theme From S Express - S Express 1988
    Back To Life - Soul II Soul 1989

Sorry for the totally self indulgent post. I bet only 'Relax' - FGTH. makes it on the list on telly

Relax is so going to be number 1 on the list. Not as predictable as Bohemian Rhapsody, but I have a strong feeling.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turbulence wrote: »
    Relax is so going to be number 1 on the list. Not as predictable as Bohemian Rhapsody, but I have a strong feeling.

I fear you may be right, but I so hope it isn't, worst single of all time!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Relax!" is not a real song. It's a producer's demo that went viral. Literally. Don't die of ignorance.
    "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is a lot safer. If you don't wake him.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relax was far from a demo, it was a classic production and performance and rightly sold well.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    There is an album to accompany this too. It was released yesterday. 60 tracks.

Had a look at it in Tesco earlier today. Good tracks on that CD. I was 14 in 1980 so this will be the soundtrack to my teen years.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Had a look at it in Tesco earlier today. Good tracks on that CD. I was 14 in 1980 so this will be the soundtrack to my teen years.

We are the same age :) 1980 was a very important year for me music wise. some would say '79' into '80 er for good music .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We are the same age :) 1980 was a very important year for me music wise. some would say '79' into '80 er for good music .

My favourite year ever for music was 1981. The breakthrough of New Romantics like Duran, Spandau, Depeche Mode, Japan, etc.... brilliant.

If I had to choose ten songs from the 80's that went to the top it would be tough but I think they'd all be from 1980-84
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Relax was far from a demo, it was a classic production and performance and rightly sold well.

Glad I found the Sex Mix version on Spotify, all 16 minutes 26 seconds of it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Is this a repeat ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    Is this a repeat ?

No it's a new show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No it's a new show.

i think i was thinking of the 70's one they did, i think Queen's Bo Rap was number 1
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time we thought they were abit shit but compared to what came after, they were all pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bet Jason had harder nights with Kylie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Argh yes, Madonna's 'successful' acting career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No Mica, Ride On Time was the biggest record of that year.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Argh yes, Madonna's 'successful' acting career.

For me Madonna's best acting in a film was in Desperately Seeking Susan as she was essentially just playing herself and wasn't trying too hard.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Omg, the lips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Omg, the lips.
    And such a good looking fella in the 80's