Options

New Phone Releases

Comments

• Options
    ZebbZebb Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two versions of the G - not mentioned on the boring video. 1GB 8GB or 2GB 16GB

UK Moto G page updated now; http://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-g

Display 5-inch, 720p HD (1280 x 720), 294 ppi, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3

Battery†​ 2470 mAh, mixed usage up to 24 hours

Water Resistant* Yes, IPX7

Networks GSM/GPRS/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA+, 4G LTE

Bands (by model)
    Moto G - GSM (XT1541)
    LTE (1, 3, 7, 8, 20)
    UMTS/HSPA+ (900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Location Services GPS, AGPS, GLONASS, BeiDou

Video Capture 1080p HD video, 30 fps (MPEG4, H.264)

Display flash? Front camera

No dual band wi-fi, only 32GB SD card :confused:
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short but sweet, and not to gimmicky. Strange way of announcing pricing though.
    Moto G 1GB 8GB £179
    Moto G 2GB 16GB £209
    Not sure whether it justifies price increase for better camera/moto maker/waterproof.
    Moto X Play 2GB 16GB £299
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moto X Style £359
  • Options
    EadfrithEadfrith Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    That moto g seems expensive..... Compared to something like the Vodafone smart ultra 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Moto X Style is what the Nexus 6 should have been, Google are going to have trouble shifting Nexus 6 stock once the Moto X Style comes out won't they?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the rrp pricing. How much less was the original G at rrp?
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good price. What they asking for the play? Also whys that got the bigger battery?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preorders for the moto g have started at £159 so maybe just moto maker will be £179.
    The Play is either £279 or £299, probably has the bigger battery because the build looks bulkier.
    I'm sure jonmorris will be able to fill us in.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    2PM, I assume jonmorris will be attending.

Yes I was there.

Came away with the Moto G 16/2GB RAM model so can have a proper play over the next few days.

Moto X Style is the 'one to have' but the battery life on the sightly inferior Play variant is tempting, especially given it has the same camera.

Decisions decisions...

(Isn't it always easier when you just have one or maybe two new phones, as with Apple, so you don't have to choose?!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it they'll hand out the Moto X Play and Moto X Style for reviewers closer to there launches in August/September?
    How were the screens? I see they've stopped using SAMOLED panels so I wonder what the quality is like, and how moto display functions.

What I hoped for was Moto X Style design but Moto X Play size but that was never going to happen. I think 5.7" is too big for me regardless of the thin bezels and I'm not a fan of the Moto X Play's design.
    I hope they have paired with carriers or else they are going to have a hell of a struggle competing with OnePlus. I'm going to sit back and watch what happens with VoLTE, invites and reviews but I'm likely buying the 64GB OnePlus Two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Yes I was there.

Came away with the Moto G 16/2GB RAM model so can have a proper play over the next few days.

Moto X Style is the 'one to have' but the battery life on the sightly inferior Play variant is tempting, especially given it has the same camera.

Decisions decisions...

(Isn't it always easier when you just have one or maybe two new phones, as with Apple, so you don't have to choose?!)

Is the dual SIM one just for Brazil?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the other Moto G models are anything to go by, we might see the dual SIM version coming in due course.

Here's my first news/hands-on - http://jmcomms.com/2015/07/28/motorolas-three-new-new-smartphones-take-the-moto-g-and-x-to-the-next-level/
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    disappointing that the Moto G still doesnt have NFC. I'm not a fan of big screens (5.5"+) so would prefer the G. But (maybe) pay is finally going to take off soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice initial writeup jonmorris.

One thing I have noticed is the extraordinary mark up in price for the Moto X Style for the UK and Europe compared to the US.
    The Moto X Style is $10 more expensive than the OnePlus in the US, but over here it is £70 more expensive than the 64GB OnePlus Two and a whopping £120 more expensive than the 16GB OnePlus Two.
    The problem seems to be that they aren't offering us the 16GB that they are in the US because we have the Moto X Play and they don't.

To many that really will be a put off, especially if Motorola don't plan to partner with carriers which they've chosen not to do in the US.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking the same about the price difference. I think it is pushing my towards the oneplus 2 as for your money you are getting a very good phone. OK its not the same quality as this, but the for the money I would hope you get value for money.

Does anyone have any recent knowledge about the Nexus as that is the last one really to throw in to the pot. I guess the stock android is the real selling point here, as how often does the 1+2 get up dated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recent knowledge about the Nexus as that is the last one really to throw in to the pot. I guess the stock android is the real selling point here, as how often does the 1+2 get up dated?
    Nothing particularly recent has leaked, the same old rumours about a 5.2" LG nexus and 5.7" Huawei nexus seem to be circulating, probably Snapdragon 810 and fingerprint scanners.

The oneplus one got Lollipop about five months after release I think, but that was partly Cyanogens fault by the looks of things and now they have brought software development completely in-house.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    thanks denco ,,,,,,, but i tried that some time ago ,,,,,,,, didn't work

it worked at my own home (on my home network ) the chromecast needed it.

but not at a home with no internet

You can buy a miracast dongle which does not need internet access eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IIEHWAQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1438105977&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=miracast&dpPl=1&dpID=41W3d4X-2OL&ref=plSrch

You phone wil talk to it using an ad-hoc wifi connection (posh term to say phone talks to dongle directly rather than via a router).

You plug dongle in hdmi port of tv, go to settings - display, and select Cast Screen.

You may need to keep phone connected to a power supply as the phone does all the work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moto G doesn't support Miracast does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full G specs here.
    motog3.com/motorola-moto-g-2015-specifications/

So a standard Sony Exmor R sensor, f/2.2 aperture camera, with the X I assume using the newest Sony ultra low light 21mp camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Moto X camera looked good, so maybe the IMX230 Sony sensor? If so, that would mean it could be a serious competitor to the GS6 and G4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well DxOMark have rated it highly, but I wonder if Motorola have enabled Camera API2, they haven't changed there camera app but that doesn't mean they haven't enabled it either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to check that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No guarantee but the Exmor wiki claims the G is the 214 and the X the 230
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exmor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some quick questions. One reviewer said the G has quick charge capabilities, the same as the X, true/false? Also, can the video be set to 720 or is it just 1080? Video in stereo? Active viewfinder (recognizes QR codes and barcodes) - really? DC-HSDPA?

Pity it doesn't have more LTE bands like the X.

Just trying to decide if it's worth the change from 1st gen G 4G, or a second hand Sony Z3C.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can check fast charging later but think it was just the Moto X Style (and perhaps the Play).