Options

is Doctor Who For KIDS?!!

RaffleRaffle Posts: 198
Forum Member
Ok i want to start watching this as you people are going gaga.

BUT.

I'm put off by various news reports saying doctor who is aimed for kids, made for kids, not scary, really simple etc, terrible effects etc.

Now, i watch shows like LOST, 24, Heroes, FlashForward, The Office, Nevermind The Buzzcocks etc so i've got a wide variety of tv shows BUT the one thing i don't like is a terribly put together show made for KIDS (7-15).

I'm 19 and really want to start watching this but don't want to be let down by finding out its aimed for people below my age.

Is this true? Is the show mature? is it scary?

Please help as i really need to know!

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:Does it matter ? family show or any age
    axjust watch it
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who is a children's programme for children of all ages. That is why it's appeal is so enduring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might pass then.
    I was hoping it was a mature tv show.

lolz.

Ill read the other replies though just incase.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raffle wrote: »
    I might pass then.
    I was hoping it was a mature tv show.

lolz.

Ill read the other replies though just incase.

It is a mature tv show in many ways. I find your need to judge things by labels a bit alarming. Watch it and make your own mind up. Why do you need other peoples validation?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's content that can be understood by children, but has layers in there that only adults will pick up on. Watch a few and see if you enjoy it!
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    When RTD writes the scripts it is
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    I will be 32 in four months or so. I discovered Doctor Who in October 2008. So as you can see I am not one of those fans who grew up watching it and who could, in your opinion, only like it because of some kind of nostalgia.

It is a fantastic show which, despite the fact it is aimed for kids, is brilliantly written (except for the odd episode here and there which are not quite on par with the rest) and brilliantly played by a wonderful cast.

Of course, at 19, you might feel a bit insecure about your newly found maturity (I just hope I don't offend you when saying this, but I'm much older than you, so I grant me permission ;) ).
    So if you expect dark plots and lots of blood, you can pass. There is no blood. And it is dark mainly because of the uderlying themes, and darkness is always counterbalanced by comedy. But it has some brilliant plots.

All in all, I'd say that if you ask the question whether it is mature enough or not for you, I'd say pass.
    Pass and come back to it later, when you won't need to wonder whether it is mature enough or not for you and you'll only wonder if it is good enough or not.
  • Options
    BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch Blink.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've been watching Doctor Who since 1976. It is my favourite show and it can be very scary.
  • Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a family show. people of all ages find something different in it to entertain them.

Sorry, but you sound like many people of your age, trying to seem adult and mature by watching shows like Lost and 24, and terrified of the potential embarrassment of watching a show whch may also be liked by kids.

The genuinely mature attitude would be to not give a stuff and just watch whatever you like because it's entertaining. :)
  • Options
    Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a family show, originally started as a childrens show but gained Adult fans. Its not CBBC childish lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mansun wrote: »
    It's a family show. people of all ages find something different in it to entertain them.

Sorry, but you sound like many people of your age, trying to seem adult and mature by watching shows like Lost and 24, and terrified of the potential embarrassment of watching a show whch may also be liked by kids.

The genuinely mature attitude would be to not give a stuff and just watch whatever you like becaue it's entertaining. :)

Sorry,
    my new question is

Will someone my age find this entertaining?

p.s. i still watch Naruto (japanese cartoon) so i'm not grasping at my maturity here.

I just wanted to be sure that it's not all for kids with jokes and silly plots but an actual story.

Do characters die? *apart from the cast change of the doctor*
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Well I'm 37 and watch Lost etc, but love Doctor Who over and above and 'adult' shows. Hell I just watched Sarah Jane Adventures on CBBC and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Doctor Who stories go from family fun to gothic horror with some nice drama thrown in the mix. Go for it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Sorry,
    my new question is

p.s. i still watch Naruto (japanese cartoon) so i'm not grasping at my maturity here.

I just wanted to be sure that it's not all for kids with jokes and silly plots but an actual story.

There are worse things in life than dying, young Padawan !

Sorry if I seem again to tell you that you ask the wrong questions, but you ask the wrong questions !
    Yes, characters die. But a dying character doesn't make a good show or a mature show.

I'd suggest as your next question : "I would like to try Doctor Who and see if I'll like it. I'm 19, I'm male/female and I usually like this and that. Which episodes would you recommend me checking first ?"

And then you check the suggestions. In the end, only you can know if you'll like it or not.
  • Options
    doctordalekdoctordalek Posts: 171
    Forum Member

BUT.

I'm put off by various news reports saying doctor who is aimed for kids, made for kids, not scary, really simple etc, terrible effects etc.

Now, i watch shows like LOST, 24, Heroes, FlashForward, The Office, Nevermind The Buzzcocks etc so i've got a wide variety of tv shows BUT the one thing i don't like is a terribly put together show made for KIDS (7-15).

I'm 19 and really want to start watching this but don't want to be let down by finding out its aimed for people below my age.

thanks!

Why not try it and see. I am 43 have watched it since I was 6 and I will watch it until they don't make it any more.
    So I think I can say it's for anybody of any age.
  • Options
    dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry,
    my new question is

I really hate to state the obvious yet I am about to - why don't you just watch it and make up your own mind. We can all give our opinions, but to be honest, we are all fans of the show, the majority of us, love it! ;) Of course after so many years, there will be the odd dodgy episode, but again, for the majority of us, there is always something to love about each one.

Not knowing you, your likes/dislikes etc, it's impossible to say whether you will enjoy it or find it mature enough - I'm not even certain I understand what you exactly mean by that. If you can go to it with an open mind, then you have a great chance of enjoying it. If you don't enjoy it, well, it just isn't for you, for whatever reason.

Best advice - give it a go! Make your own mind up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 23, and first started watching Dr Who at 19. I also watch 24, Flashforward etc. Characters do die, and there can be some dark elements within the stories. Give Blink, midnight or the girl in the fireplace a go.

Of course, if you are looking for something darker, you could always try Torchwood.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torchwood is for adults so give it a go though despite Dr Who being for children I love it :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BUT.

thanks!

I used to get this at work. 'You're a grown up ie a woman in your 30s and you like kids programmes!!!' Rubbish!!

Decide for yourself. For me, its brilliant (in the words of the Doctor). It doesn't patronise anyone and its about relationships, like the Doctor and his companions. Its fun!

I recommend Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures, if Dr Who appeals to you.
  • Options
    Counting.No.AgeCounting.No.Age Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Sorry,
    my new question is

they most certainly do. :D whilst some of the episode are abit 'childish' on the whole its very good.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The forthcoming Waters of Mars special had its press preview today. By all accounts it was so dark and scary that journalists were questioning whether it was suitable for children to watch, let alone aimed at them.

If it puts your mind at rest, the re-runs are shown on BBC three, not cbbc. And the show tends not to kill off characters but leave them to live with the consequences, which can be worse than death.

Doctor Who is solid entertainment that anyone can enjoy.
  • Options
    SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with most posters that only you can judge whether it's for you or not.

I certainly am aware of plenty of 19 year olds who are great fans.

Essentially it's a show about an alien known only as 'The Doctor' who travels through time and space with various companions (or not).

It deals with all sorts of issues. Some episodes are quite serious, some are comical, some are both.

It is extremely well made by an obviously dedicated cast and crew so I don't think you have any worries there.

Oh, and there is plenty of death, but rarely anything graphic.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who is solid entertainment that anyone can enjoy.

I echo this. I'm 30 and have watched Doctor Who since 2005 and it's been my favourite show since.

Avoid the episode "Love and Monsters" though! :D
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    50 years old, female, mother of two :cool: teenagers......

and I *LOVE* Doctor Who with an absolute passion!!

I would never tire of watching it.........

I have it series linked on Watch ;)
    watching all the reps on BBC

have all the vanilla DVDs and box sets :o

I watched SJA today and loved it :D - so entertaining!

and that is the WHOLE point of Who - it is entertaining....

it is enjoyable.........and it makes *me* think ;)

see if you can get a box set and start with Christopher Eccleston.........and follow through with Mr Tennant.......

also remember, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and neither should you assume that because something is listed as "kids", it's not good for adults :)

sit back on a comfy settee, watch and "hopefully" enjoy!
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aimed at all ages. Like the Simpsons, I suppose.

Doctor Who deals with a lot of adult themes as well. But children love it. Even if they are not sure what's going on.