Options

I Think Next Year I'm Going To Try Hard Not To Watch - Here's Why

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
Every week I watch it now, I seem to get more and more infuriated by it :o We have the judges ridiculous overhyping of a boyband who are incredibly average singers, who can't harmonise and are helped by god knows how many recorded autotuned backing singers. We have(or had) someone who has been put through to the finals(Cowell and the producers had a big hand in it, I'm sure) being made to feel like he shouldn't be there and his very presence is 'derailing the show'.

We have an arrogant little madam who is in actual fact too young, immature and inexperienced to be in the position she is in, yet the inflated praise she gets from the judges only makes her feel she is entitled to be some kind of superstar. We have a karaoke singer who is extremely limited barely receiving a negative word about her tuning and lack of versatility. We have a guy who seems to think he is entitled to win, and who is too good to ever go back to a 'normal' job. His attitude towards the others is questionable and it doesn't seem as though he truly appreciates the opportunity he has.

We have a vocalist with incredible potential not being guided and mentored properly. Her mentor is unable to get the best out of her and allow her to demonstrate more passion and versatility. Said mentor clearly prefers her other act.

I can't take anything the judges say seriously any more, as it seems every word out of their mouths has some kind of agenda behind it. Instead of enjoying watching it, I find myself annoyed and bemused at it. Yes, I know it's 95% an entertainment show and 5% a talent show, but still :o The fact I know how the audition process works(it's not pretty) after accompanying my wife there last year doesn't help either.

It's going to take a monumental effort not to watch it next year, but it has become such a farce that I feel I need to :p Anyone else feel the same, or similar?

Comments

• Options
    mistyellemistyelle Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if its true Cheryl is staying then ill consider bypassing it..
    Cant tolerate another year of her and Simon thats for sure
  • Options
    cricket123cricket123 Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I will continue watching.
  • Options
    CloudyECloudyE Posts: 9,230
    Forum Member
    Everyone tha twatches WILL watch again, your all addicts and thats an end to this nonsense thread. Has anyone got any teddies left in the UK? very doubtful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CloudyE wrote: »
    Everyone tha twatches WILL watch again, your all addicts and thats an end to this nonsense thread.

If I didn't support and have money on Rebecca, I think I may have stopped watching this series to be honest. I actually didn't watch much of the auditions, and none of bootcamp. It grabbed me at judges houses stage though :mad:
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea is really not to take it seriously, this is nothing more than a soap opera with singers & others commentating on their performances,
    Prima donnas, poor acting, in fighting, tantrums, insults etc etc, & that does not include the acts themselves!
    Well we are in pantomime season :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably be joining you OP. I want Matt to win and then I'll be done with the show.
  • Options
    cricket123cricket123 Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at the moment there are 2 out of over 14 million who won't watch. I don't think ITV or Simon Cowell will really mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I'll watch again. But I'm ashamed to say, I don't really watch for the talent any more. I watch because the acts tend to be interesting to gossip about and it's something to talk about. Every week there's that little bit of hope that the acts are going to be brilliant, but I'm constantly disappointed. It's a mixture of the acts not being good enough, not being mentored properly or not being able to shine while on the show. But all of this makes for the TV equivalent of cocaine for 85 percent of the population, including me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it 3, agree with the OP completely.

The mentorship bit especially does my head in, Rebecca needs some serious guidance/support and Paije could have been really good if he was given some propr advice and coaching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I'll watch again. But I'm ashamed to say, I don't really watch for the talent any more. I watch because the acts tend to be interesting to gossip about and it's something to talk about. Every week there's that little bit of hope that the acts are going to be brilliant, but I'm constantly disappointed. It's a mixture of the acts not being good enough, not being mentored properly or not being able to shine while on the show. But all of this makes for the TV equivalent of cocaine for 85 percent of the population, including me!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there :o:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    hopefully ill have a life next year so i wont watch either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, totally agree.

If anyone watched this with any degree of seriousness, they'd go utterly crazy.

Maybe that's it, OP, in that you mention that you accompanied your wife to the auditions which, as you say, is a horrible process in itself. I can well believe it. You're possibly looking at it and thinking: "In other circumstances that could be her and me". Stories in the tabloids, hurtful comments about her appearance and personal history, criticism - boos and cheers - regarding her talent. I find it astonishing that anyone would want to go through that particular mill. But, oooooh, that dangled carrot of fame and fortune is so tempting!

So, will we see you there in the audience next year??;):D
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Meh. As long as I'm not busy on a Saturday night I'll watch it. The nights when I've been busy I haven't watched it. I'd say most people are the same.
  • Options
    JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    The idea is really not to take it seriously, this is nothing more than a soap opera with singers & others commentating on their performances,
    Prima donnas, poor acting, in fighting, tantrums, insults etc etc, & that does not include the acts themselves!
    Well we are in pantomime season :D

Which is al very well for the already fanous personalities on the panel but these people are desperate to furhter their careers on a show which is, at best, a pantomime and at worst a nail in the coffin of anyone who doesjt make the final 3 or 4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I didnt watch any of last years like only jedwards performances and the results. i didnt even waatch the auditions

The same with this year . i didnt watch the auditions or bootcamp or jh or the first few shows. this pissed me off so much cos i like missed like most of aidens performances and everyones like development .

So dont do it

actually do i wouldnt mind missing all that if aiden was still in which he would be if it wasnt for the manipulation
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I'll watch it. You can't beat a bit of Pantomime at Christmas:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jayceegee wrote: »
    Yes, totally agree.

If anyone watched this with any degree of seriousness, they'd go utterly crazy.

Maybe that's it, OP, in that you mention that you accompanied your wife to the auditions which, as you say, is a horrible process in itself. I can well believe it. You're possibly looking at it and thinking: "In other circumstances that could be her and me". Stories in the tabloids, hurtful comments about her appearance and personal history, criticism - boos and cheers - regarding her talent. I find it astonishing that anyone would want to go through that particular mill. But, oooooh, that dangled carrot of fame and fortune is so tempting!

So, will we see you there in the audience next year??;):D

Yeah, I think that is part of it. No, we both decided not to go back this year and will probably not next year either. It's more the 6 hours of standing around being told to jump around that we can't be bothered with than anything else. Plus, we know how fickle and inconsistent the whole thing is from the very first auditions right the way through to the finals.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch it tonight. I was in, but the TV stayed off. The show has been thoroughly unpleasant this year in a number of ways and I just couldn't face any more of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    I'll probably be joining you OP. I want Matt to win and then I'll be done with the show.

this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I think that is part of it. No, we both decided not to go back this year and will probably not next year either. It's more the 6 hours of standing around being told to jump around that we can't be bothered with than anything else. Plus, we know how fickle and inconsistent the whole thing is from the very first auditions right the way through to the finals.

I just saw your link on another thread. Is that your wife's voice?

If so, I do think she has a lovely voice, really I do, so good luck to her. Maybe she'll have the strength to apply some other time - as we know others who get through have applied in previous years. If she's writing her own material too, then even better. That original song was good but ,yikes, please tell her to cut out the croaky thing at the beginning of notes which I noticed on that track. Other singers have that affectation and she doesn't need it!:eek: No offence meant!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jayceegee wrote: »
    I just saw your link on another thread. Is that your wife's voice?

If so, I do think she has a lovely voice, really I do, so good luck to her. Maybe she'll have the strength to apply some other time - as we know others who get through have applied in previous years. If she's writing her own material too, then even better. That original song was good but ,yikes, please tell her to cut out the croaky thing at the beginning of notes which I noticed on that track. Other singers have that affectation and she doesn't need it!:eek: No offence meant!:)

Yes, that's her - thanks for the kind words :) No offence taken either :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your wife has a lovely voice too Spider. They're idiots not letting good singers in but allowing some of the mediocre lot we got this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noorani wrote: »
    I think your wife has a lovely voice too Spider. They're idiots not letting good singers in but allowing some of the mediocre lot we got this year.

• Options
    James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch tonight. Last week left a really unpleasant taste in my mouth.

The constant backing of a contestant the public rejected on a weekly basis, the enormous set-up to avoid a RATM-style campaign to have Wagner win the programme, the way One Direction are being pushed to the forefront. It sits really uneasy with me.

I got a bit sick of it after the Jedward/Lucie Jones incident last year, but for me this year has been like the Christmas you found out that Santa doesn't exist, after a few years of having your doubts. In previous years I've been able to play along with it, but this year the pre-planning of the whole programme has just left me cold.

What's even more sad is that's just from live shows - until the end of October I was repping in south-west Europe and we had a flight come in on Saturday nights (which, being operated by Monarch "We make Ryanair look like Emirates" Airlines, was always delayed of course) which finished the week before Live Shows kicked off. (Thanks to the expat boozers I did see the Live Shows.) I hate to think what auditions were like - so bear in mind I totally missed all the shit with Gamu and her family being sent to have Robert Mugabe "sort them out."

But it was just the same crap over and over. They'd already decided what they were gonna tell the acts. You sometimes wonder if they were watching a different show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP has immersed themselves X Factor so much, that they read like Simon Cowell.

Here's why?

Oh please, you'll watch in 2011 and love it! ;)