The Bank: A matter of life and debt

BriantilsleyBriantilsley Posts: 82
Forum Member
Omg! If this branch is representative of NatWest, the banking crisis is most definitely not over!

Comments

• Kay_MacKay_Mac Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I am going to move my account elsewhere... What a shower!

That sweary phone call - was she deliberately trying to wind him up more?!
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I think that is a bit unfair. What has been shown so far is a customer who wouldn't accept he was in the wrong and a customer who had a satisfactory outcome.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised that staff member just admitted that they were driven to sell as many mortgages as possible and in hindsight they probably didn't do enough to check if the person could pay it back. I know that was the situation but I suppose I didn't expect them to be so open about it. I would have thought they'd want to everything to avoid admitting to that.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    Unfortunate timing of the programme given the (most) recent IT failure.

I wonder if they'll show staff pressurising customers to use the self serve machines like in my local branch.
  • BriantilsleyBriantilsley Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    She didn't know she owes £30,000! (And that's without the mortgage).
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Surprised that staff member just admitted that they were driven to sell as many mortgages as possible and in hindsight they probably didn't do enough to check if the person could pay it back. I know that was the situation but I suppose I didn't expect them to be so open about it. I would have thought they'd want to everything to avoid admitting to that.

Well it is all about trying to rebuild trust and there is no point lying about it since everyone knows what happened.
    Forum Member
    'They don't have sales figures to hit, but they do have targets'. And the difference is......?
    Forum Member
    So, Gary's best interview turned out to be one of his worst.
    Forum Member
    Is that David Walliams?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was cringeworthy. He clearly said he wanted to reduce it from £8k to £7k and she talked him out of it.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Is that David Walliams?

I thought that too...cough...
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me that any branch would want to be involved with the making of a programme like this.
    I find it compelling to watch in one way.

Oooo a Taste Card, what a thing for a bank to give out!
    Forum Member
    I think that is a bit unfair. What has been shown so far is a customer who wouldn't accept he was in the wrong and a customer who had a satisfactory outcome.

We have been shown people in customer services, some of whom do not seem to have any idea how to talk to people, who aggravate customers (who may well be in the wrong) and wind them up through poor tone and words.

And I have friends working in other Natwest branches who are sending me messages cringing
    Forum Member
    I find it incomprehensible that someone in RBS/NatWest actually sanctioned this! (Or maybe they didn't?)
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,076
    Forum Member
    Got it recording and looking forward to watching as it's my local branch (I've never had any issues there myself)
    Forum Member
    Once you've watched it, let us know how long you intend to leave your account with them!
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    SteUK wrote: »
    Unfortunate timing of the programme given the (most) recent IT failure.

I wonder if they'll show staff pressurising customers to use the self serve machines like in my local branch.

So the staff are effectively being forced to put themselves out of work eventually - similar to supermarkets then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tragedy is this is the exact type of individual who should never have been given a mortgage during the "mortgage boom" just prior to the crash. They don't stand a chance. Not earning enough. I feel for her because at the root of that situation she's been mis-sold the mortgage. It's not her fault. People expect the bank to make the best decision not just hand out mortgages like sweets.
    Forum Member
    Actually, even if they had achieved 60% it still leaves a long way to go doesn't it?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Banks are bulletproof - they know they'll get bailed out if it all goes pear shaped.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,076
    Forum Member
    Once you've watched it, let us know how long you intend to leave your account with them!

Well I've been with them since I was 16 (now 28) and no problems. Never had a mortgage or credit card, got a debit card with them and again no problems. I'd have to have a stunningly good reason to leave them when I've not had any issues myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Well I've been with them since I was 16 (now 28) and no problems. Never had a mortgage or credit card, got a debit card with them and again no problems. I'd have to have a stunningly good reason to leave them when I've not had any issues myself.

Yeah you're fine with that arrangement. It's usually when banks try to sell you extras like loans and mortgages that it appears you (still) need to be cautious. One customer was talked out of reducing a loan tonight which surprised me.
    Forum Member
    Their Twitter feed is interesting...

Oh and 60% is 'extremely satisfied' the other 40% might only be 'satisfied'. Apparently
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    What I always found it interesting is how low banks pay their branch staff, while those higher up get paid loads.

I once did work experince in a bank and the wages for a manager back then were around £22k p.a., I see not much has changed.
  • RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I honestly found this to be one of the dullest, most pointless documentaries of this kind I think I've seen.

Quite enjoy fly-on-the-wall and as a Yorkshireman was interested with it being set in Huddersfield but quite honestly the show gave no real insight whatsover. It did give airtime to a couple of middle aged men who seemed to love themselves and (in one case) verbally abusing young girls.

Meanwhile I couldn't work out if we were supposed to point and laugh at the staff or feel sorry for them - it was all over the place. Nothing in it surprised me, it wasn't funny, it wasn't interesting or insightful - don't know why it was even made. :o