Apple Pay

ozzozz Posts: 825
Forum Member
✭✭
Apple Pay has now launched in the UK, the option having appeared in the Passbook app this morning. Successfully added my NatWest card so time to cause mayhem in M&S!!

Comments

• jb76jb76 Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still dont really understand how it works. With contactless you randomly get asked for your pin so if you have no money in your account it will go through unless you get asked for your pin. if you are asked for your pin then your card would get declined.

What happens if you have no money in your account and use Apple Pay.
  • sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    jb76 wrote: »
    I still dont really understand how it works. With contactless you randomly get asked for your pin so if you have no money in your account it will go through unless you get asked for your pin. if you are asked for your pin then your card would get declined.

Treat Apple Pay same as your contactless debit/credit card. You enter you card details in the phone but when paying instead of getting your card out you get your phone out. I will presume if you have no money, your card will be declined then it will be the same on ApplePay as it is basically same as your card.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    Treat Apple Pay same as your contactless debit/credit card. You enter you card details in the phone but when paying instead of getting your card out you get your phone out. I will presume if you have no money, your card will be declined then it will be the same on ApplePay as it is basically same as your card.

So it won't be as quick at authorisation as normal contactless then if it has to contact the bank?
  • jb76jb76 Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression (im probably wrong) it doesn't actually contact the bank at that point as its an offline payment similar to when you use a pay at pump petrol station. My old bank card would not accept offline payments so i could not use pay at pump, make payments on trains etc.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've used a Bpay wristband for the last six months and never been prompted for a PIN. guessing there's a switch somewhere that says some devices are PINless.

I see it being useful in conjunction with a watch, but don't see the advantage of getting your expensive phone out versus getting your wallet out.

(blah blah blah security. If someone was to steal my contactless card or bpay what are they going to do? Go on a mass spending spree of under £20 a transaction at Gregg's and Boots? Not a concern)
    Forum Member
    Just used it at McDonalds and it didn't work very well for me. But then contactless with my card always didn't work very well at most McDonalds.

Anyway, used ApplePay and the phone said 'done' but the McDonalds till didn't register anything. Did it again and it says need to verify with pin. Ended up using chip and pin with the card.

Have to check whether I have been double charged.
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    So it won't be as quick at authorisation as normal contactless then if it has to contact the bank?

Personally it's a gimmick to me. No different getting my phone out compare to card. Probably quicker with card as that doesn't need finger print.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is ApplePay supposed to work on the Apple Watch as it doesn't appear in my Passbook on my watch?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is ApplePay supposed to work on the Apple Watch as it doesn't appear in my Passbook on my watch?

There's a setup process you need to follow:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    There's a setup process you need to follow:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204506

Why do you have to select United States as your region when my card is showing up in my passbook on my phone?
  • CloudaneCloudane Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience with normal contactless cards goes

Greggs:
    "One sausage roll please, I'll pay by contactless"
    "You need to spend at least £5 to pay by card"
    "But... the idea is it's for small transactions instead of cash, I'm pretty sure the minimum payment is just normal card transactions"
    ".....?"
    (queue behind grows and tutting can be heard)
    "Never mind, I'll pay by cash."

99% of other places:
    >see contactless symbol indicating it's available
    >present card
    >machine beeps and says something like "please only present one card at a time" or declines in some other way
    >till staff looks at me like I'm one of those people who tries to move a mouse cursor by holding the mouse up to the screen and politely points at the slot where the card is "supposed" to go
    >fine I'll do it the old fashioned way
    >machine says "please use magnetic stripe" because I've already confused it and now it's basically in fallback mode
    >till staff can't do it the swipe-and-sign way and has to completely abandon the transaction and restart from square 1, re-scanning my item(s)
    >queue behind grows and tutting can be heard
    >give up and pay with chip and PIN.

The only time it works smoothly is in M&S

I expect the same with Apple Pay...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you have to select United States as your region when my card is showing up in my passbook on my phone?

You don't. It says US or UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    You don't. It says US or UK.

Passbook and Apple Pay has suddenly appeared on my watch. They must have just updated it. Thanks. :)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudane wrote: »

One of the problems is many places explicitly need the cashier to press the 'pay by contactless' option on the till.

so instead of

Cashier - "That'll be £4.30 please"
    Me - *press contactless option*
    Me - "bye"

its

Cashier - "That'll be £4.30 please"
    Me - *check contactless reader- its not active yet*
    Me - "Can I pay by contactless please"
    Cashier - "mmm...ok"
    Cashier - *presses till button for card payment*
    *till button also prompts for cashback option even though its not available on contactless*
    Cashier - *presses "no cashback"*
    Me - *check contactless reader again.... waits*
    Me - "ah there we go"
    *press contactless option*
    "bye"
  • Browno01Browno01 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Used it once last night at around 1am, worked fine.

Used it again this morning at half 9, worked fine.

Fast and simple.
    Forum Member

Greggs:
    "One sausage roll please, I'll pay by contactless"
    "You need to spend at least £5 to pay by card"
    "But... the idea is it's for small transactions instead of cash, I'm pretty sure the minimum payment is just normal card transactions"
    ".....?"
    (queue behind grows and tutting can be heard)
    "Never mind, I'll pay by cash."

99% of other places:
    >see contactless symbol indicating it's available
    >present card
    >machine beeps and says something like "please only present one card at a time" or declines in some other way
    >till staff looks at me like I'm one of those people who tries to move a mouse cursor by holding the mouse up to the screen and politely points at the slot where the card is "supposed" to go
    >fine I'll do it the old fashioned way
    >machine says "please use magnetic stripe" because I've already confused it and now it's basically in fallback mode
    >till staff can't do it the swipe-and-sign way and has to completely abandon the transaction and restart from square 1, re-scanning my item(s)
    >queue behind grows and tutting can be heard
    >give up and pay with chip and PIN.

The only time it works smoothly is in M&S

I expect the same with Apple Pay...

This is true. It is like at Wilko I will need to tell the cashier I'm paying contactless then he/she will press a button on the till to switch the card machine from chip & pin to accept contactless. Why??? I just use chip & pin instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read on another thread that double clicking the home button when the phone is in sleep mode opens Apple Pay in the Passbook. Does that work for anyone cause it doesn't work for me?
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got it on the iOS 9 beta? Seems not to show up. Shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So can I use this at any contactless reader? Is there still a limit?
  • CloudaneCloudane Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly yeah it doesn't help that you have to tell them so they can switch it to contactless mode as then (at least this early in the game) you can never be sure if they're trained up on it. Not a lot of people bother with it yet even though it's been out at least a year or two, so it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing to get going.
    I read on another thread that double clicking the home button when the phone is in sleep mode opens Apple Pay in the Passbook. Does that work for anyone cause it doesn't work for me?

Not doing it here. Maybe it's a jailbreak thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I added my card this morning which was quick and simple. I then had to verify it with the bank and was on hold with them for 45 minutes before anyone answered. I'm about to try it out for the first time.

Slightly pointless for me until the transaction limit is lifted, because my card is already contactless. But good for those whose banks are part of the launch but don't necessarily have contactless cards yet (such as a lot of Nationwide customers).
  • ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked fine in M&S & Costa. You have to keep your finger on the reader until both the tick on the phone and the authorised appears on the terminal otherwise it falls over!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never been asked for my PIN when using contactless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ozz wrote: »
    Worked fine in M&S & Costa. You have to keep your finger on the reader until both the tick on the phone and the authorised appears on the terminal otherwise it falls over!

Does it automatically appear from sleep mode when you hold your phone over the terminal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not doing it here. Maybe it's a jailbreak thing.

That's introduced with iOS 9. It won't work on earlier iOS versions.