Virus on Computer HELP!!

A virus has gotten onto my computer and I can't get rid of it. Have got Norton Internet Security and AVG, both of them say it is there yet have run both of them and says no virus found, yet the message keeps flashning up saying can't be removed or repaired???.

Says on Norton: Virus Name:- Downloader
May be infected by unknown virus Exploit.wmf
Access to the file was Denied
Unable to remove this

Anyone know how I can get rid of this????

Comments

• Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may help.

All I can offer, sorry.
  • 3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried to put it in quarantine and then getting a removel tool from Symantec
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    If you can get the name of the file can you remove it in safe mode?
  • tinyditinydi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help, got in touch with Symantec and it seems to have done the trick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy to here that you are sorted m8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,962
    Forum Member
    You, really need to chose which Virus scanner, you prefer. Running 2 anti-virus scanners is not a good idea & can cause conflicts with one another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it only causes conflict it you run them both together
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    System: Millenium Edition
    AV: Avast v.4.7 Home Edition
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    Virus File Name: C:\windows\system\jbhook.dll
    Malware Name: Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
    Malware type: Virus/Worm
    VPS version: 0710-2, 05/02/2007
    I have a similar problem.

I've been googling and trying to get rid of this for a couple of days. Everytime I try to delete the virus or move it to the chest, I get a message that says, Access Denied.

I've already disabled system restore, unchecked all hidden files, attempted to delete in safe mode and closed down all running programs in the task manager, but to no avail. I've also downloaded and tried to use Killbox and Regrun-Reanimator.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    System: Millenium Edition
    AV: Avast v.4.7 Home Edition
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    Virus File Name: C:\windows\system\jbhook.dll
    Malware Name: Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
    Malware type: Virus/Worm
    VPS version: 0710-2, 05/02/2007
    I have a similar problem.

I've been googling and trying to get rid of this for a couple of days. Everytime I try to delete the virus or move it to the chest, I get a message that says, Access Denied.

I've already disabled system restore, unchecked all hidden files, attempted to delete in safe mode and closed down all running programs in the task manager, but to no avail. I've also downloaded and tried to use Killbox and Regrun-Reanimator.

Thanks.
    go to symantec or trend micro web site and run their virus tool.free.
    either one will rid it.
  • me@homeme@home Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    go to symantec or trend micro web site and run their virus tool.free.
    either one will rid it.

I found that the Trend Micro Housecall site kept crashing while it was removing everything that the scan said it found.
  • gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Follow this virus removal procedure: http://www.orbitalzone.com/virus.htm

You must follow the instructions exactly otherwise the problem will not go away. It might take a good while to carry out all the scans with various programs but it must be done.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow this virus removal procedure: http://www.orbitalzone.com/virus.htm

You must follow the instructions exactly otherwise the problem will not go away. It might take a good while to carry out all the scans with various programs but it must be done.

By any chance do you copy and paste those replies?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By any chance do you copy and paste those replies?
    He has them stored in a standard responses folder....he just brings up the notepad file, and presses copy and paste! Maybe you could make a firefox plugin for him? :p
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jbeavon wrote:
    He has them stored in a standard responses folder....he just brings up the notepad file, and presses copy and paste! Maybe you could make a firefox plugin for him? :p
    I am not a fanboy! I suggest Firefox but don't shove it down FM's throats. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I think it's finally gone. Fingers crossed. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    If you are certain you have no more trouble you should clear out all old System Restore points then immediately create a new one so you have something to fall back on should anything go awry again. Also remember to make SR points on a regular basis.

More on System Restore ...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

What may have lead up to your infection and help keep your computer free of malware …

http://www.castlecops.com/t7736-So_how_did_I_get_infected_in_the_first_place.html

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Protect_Your_PC/Avoid_Web_Browser_Hijackers.html

There is a little duplication but these tutorials are both well worth reading.

If you do suffer an infection again you should run first Ccleaner to clean out your system. Get Ccleaner here but ensure you install it WITHOUT the optional Yahoo Toolbar download (you must untick/uncheck the relevant box on download) …

http://www.ccleaner.com/

....then work through this …

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Protect_Your_PC/Get_Rid_of_Spyware%2C_Adware%2C_and_Web_Browser_Hijackers.html

Best wishes.

R.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Download Adaware and/or Spybot search and destroy aswell. These are quite handy for removing certain Trojans that the av programs can't.
    Forum Member
    MrGriller wrote:
    Download Adaware and/or Spybot search and destroy
    These are already contained in the tutorials referred to in post #17 (along with many other excellent programs).

R.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment I have, Ccleaner, Clean up, Avast, Skybot and lavasoft Adaware. Is there anything else essential that I need to add, as there seems to be a lot of programs in those links? Also, I have Windows Millennium Edition and not XP, so I don't know if the system restore advice applies to me. Thanks. I'm computer illiterate, btw. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fanboy! I suggest Firefox but don't shove it down FM's throats. :p
    I didn't suggest that you did.....just thought gargle might benefit from an auto-filling in firefox plugin! That's the power of expansion eh? ;):p
    Forum Member
    At the moment I have, Ccleaner, Clean up, Avast, Skybot and lavasoft Adaware. Is there anything else essential that I need to add, as there seems to be a lot of programs in those links? Also, I have Windows Millennium Edition and not XP, so I don't know if the system restore advice applies to me. Thanks. I'm computer illiterate, btw. :D
    You are not computer illiterate. Your actions here show that. We are all still learning. ;)

You have Avast antivirus (that's good) but don't forget you need a good firewall as well (advice on that in the tutorials).

Ccleaner & Clean up do vurtually the same thing but, yes, you should pick all the programs in the tutorials that work on your operating system.

From the tutorials try to add Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard, IESpypad and the MVPS.org HOSTS file (d/l for this last one is at items 6 in the Help2Go tutorial).

I believe Windows Defender won't work unless you're on XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003.

Also don't forget that the firewall will probably "update" itself whilst you are online. However, you may find that some of your free protection programs will need to be kept up to date by checking manually.

Any problems with any of them ... post back here for more advice.

R.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows Millennium Edition........computer illiterate

That figures! :p;)
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and Windows Millenium does have system restore.....