What circumstances, if any, would ever bring about PR to Westminster Elections?

occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,415
Forum Member
Given that the Scottish, Welsh, NI and European elections are now all based on PR (though admittedly different forms - but that's a whole different debate) the use of FPTP for Westminster is beginning to look more and more as an anachronism.

However, as turkeys and christmas demonstartes, no party in power is going to advocate PR whilst it believes it can still win large majorities using the existing system

So do any of you feel that that circumstances will ever arise that brings PR to Westminster elections?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hung parliament perhaps. As long as they use the correct rope.
  • BluenileBluenile Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottish independence, followed by English indepedence with PR then being used for an English parliament which presumably would still be at Westminster.

I can't see it happening as long as the UK stays together
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the poster as it is making the Westminster elections seem increasingly archaic.
    I can't see a situation though where the 2 main parties would ever commit to it if they have a majority.
    We do need the Lib Dems to rescue us. :)
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the Scottish, Welsh, NI and European elections are now all based on PR (though admittedly different forms - but that's a whole different debate) the use of FPTP for Westminster is beginning to look more and more as an anachronism.

However, as turkeys and christmas demonstartes, no party in power is going to advocate PR whilst it believes it can still win large majorities using the existing system

So do any of you feel that that circumstances will ever arise that brings PR to Westminster elections?

The most obvious one is a hung Parliament where Labour (or indeed the Tories) need Lib Dem support to get a majority over the other 'big' party.

Of course it could be argued that the 'big' parties are only 'big' because of FPTP.

G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,464
    Forum Member

im quite happy with FPTP i personally hope the Westminster doesnt introduce PR.

englandrocks.
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'd need to change the actualy layout of the House of Commons too if we get PR, I remember seeing an image last year with a proposal to convert it into a "U" shape like in most parliaments today.
    It would certainly be less confrontational.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some desk space and a terminal for the MPs would be useful too.