Options

Cat had her first fight today:(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
Forum Member
✭✭
Or the first one that has visibly hurt her anyway. She had a bloody ear, and another small cut behind it. I discovered this when I walked into my bedroom and my white quilt cover looked like the scene of a massacre (I think she'd been shaking her head).

She has been quiet and still all day, whereas she usually follows me around making chirpy 'comments' on everything I do. I don't think she needs the vet because everything had stopped bleeding and there are no deep cuts or tears, but it's shaken her up (and me).

I am just posting this in case a more experienced cat owner thinks there is anything I should be watching her for? Do cats bounce back quickly from these things? I don't like seeing her looking depressed, she's had her head on her paw all evening and she's hardly touched her food:(

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just keep an eye on her, you could try and bathe it if she will let you, but keep an eye to make sure it doesnt get infected .
  • Options
    PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best to bathe it with cotton wool with warm water and salt. Watch for an infection, as other cat bites or scratches can infect, if it starts oozing pus then straight to the vets.

If a cat is injured it will sit in a corner or a safe place, once it doesn't hurt anymore they will be back to normal.
    It's like the saying, going somewhere safe to 'lick their wounds'.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could well have a bit somewhere and cat bites very often turn into abcesses and need treatment - antibiotics. If she is still quiet today I'd take her to the vets anyway. Common sites for bites are the hind quarters and tail if the cat runs, and round the front end if it stands up and fights. But I guess a cat that stands up and fights may change it's mind...
  • Options
    statelessstateless Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A call down our road kept on bullying our cat, so whenever I saw it approaching I used to chase it away It must've looked odd to any passers by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your comments - she seems fine now, appetite back and everything. And she wanted to go out so she probably isn't traumatised. She's been on the outside windowsill all day. A new young black cat is the likely suspect, they both seem to favour the same front gardens, so I'll keep an eye out and try to bring her in if I see him.

I did salt bathing a couple of times but she didn't appreciate it, and all the thrashing around probably made it pretty ineffective.

She has some 'nobbly' bits on her back, like insect bites that she'd been bothering - but I wonder if they could be bites? I'll keep an eye on her in case anything seems different. Thanks:)