Seriouslly ill hamster with wet tail advice?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
Forum Member
✭✭
Well we only noticed this earlyer tonight and no vets near us and no emergency pdsa we can get to.

As said we only noticed this properly tonight after having had personal domestic issues to deal with lately (no excuse I know). But we noticed our daughters hamster (6 months old) seems very weak (in thinking it may have started a few days ago) and very smelly tonight. Can bearly move and most of it's left side of it's bottom is kind of all wet and sticky.

A quick research suggests wet tail\infection but the hampster looks very ill. Anyone know if it would be kinder (pdsa helpline suggests it may not last the night) to let it drift off during the night than disturb it by changing the food and water again and trying to have a closer look at it?. Because it seems most wont recover from this without medication and dont wish to disturb it any more in case it does'nt last the night.

Comments

• crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's wet tail. I'd leave it as doubt it'll be eating anyway and if there's some water that's okay. Wet tail is very serious and nearly always fatal without fast treatment. Also if you disturb it then you may get bitten. Ours was dying from old age and bit me when I tried to have a closer look at it.

BTW it's usually caused by stress, poor diet or a dirty cage.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't dry toast supposed to help?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH, I don't think the hamster will recover. We had a hamster with wet tail years ago, and the vet tried antibiotics, but sadly he didn't make it. They're not very robust little creatures, and by the time you've figured out they're ill, it's usually too late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't dry toast supposed to help?

Well I've heard that too but it really needs antibiotics from a vet and quickly or it will die.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it isn't easy but try to keep the hamster hydrated.

What have you been feeding? Have you moved him/her lately or anything happened that could cause stress?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wet tail usually caused by stress and usually in younger new hamsters thats why you get told to leave them alone for a few days. if you do manage to get it to a vet and its prescribed antibiotics try and give it some probiotics to balance out the effects. for more detailed help i would try hamster central or hamster hideout forums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the hampster did last the night, only just but when we checked it (when the little un went to school) it was barely breathing. So I made the decision as it was sleeping, certainly unconcious, it better to left it drift off than to disturb it in it's last hour or 2 because it was so obvious the poor little fella was to far gone that by the time we could have got it to a vet it would have been dead.

We had been feeding it as normal as if it was stressed we cont see what may have caused it seeing as we have not been doing anything different than notmal.

It proabaly died by about 11 this morning. just got to tell our daughter when she gets home it's gone to the stars to play in the big cage there for all the poorly hampsters.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear, but at least it is out of any pain it was suffering. Was it a only hamster or do you have others ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Sad to hear, but at least it is out of any pain it was suffering. Was it a only hamster or do you have others ?

Thanks, Yes thankfully it was an only hamster. As if we had any others they would have been taken to the vets right away to make sure it did'nt have or catch the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear about your loss its sad whenh they pass as they are only with us for short while.

if you decied on getting another hamster i would disinfect the cage and bleach it, to make sure any infections don't tranfer to a new hamster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you get her another if she asks? I wouldn't let this put you off as I've had a few hamsters and none got wet tail. You need to wash and scrub the cage very well now with a cage disinfectant and not put another in for at least a week, if you intend to. Some are said to be more susceptible than others to it and this is hereditary. It can affect hamsters of any age but is far far more common in younger newly acquired hamsters due to the stress of being moved to a new cage etc. Ours is 14 weeks old now and so far so good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again, yes we do have the spray disinfectant for hamster cages we got a while ago from Asda, would household bleach in the sink with water be a good idea to?. We do intend to get our daughter another 1 when we come back from holiday (she had a little cry but we tried to explain as best as we could). So going to give it a good clean and leave it untill we come back from holiday to get her 1.

I grew up with hamsters myself so sadly know how relativly little time they live at best and this 1 was only 6 months old. Never had this happen to any of mine as a kid so wander if these infections are something more common than they were near 25 years ago?.

Anyway I guess we will learn from this and will keep a closer eye on the next 1 now we have a better idea of any illness signs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think normal bleach will be fine just make sure you give it a really good rinse though to get it all off afterwards and leave it to soak in a hot bath overnight or somthing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    So sorry to hear you lost the little guy. Wet Tail is nasty and most hamsters die from dehydration rather than the infection itself. For more info on it see http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters/hamster_wet_tail.htm

As well as disinfecting the cage thoroughly you need to also disinfect any cage equipment and accessories - ie bowls, water bottles, wheels, etc.

I would't use household bleach (it could irritate any new hamster - even when you can't smell the bleach on the cage, etc the hamster may be able to). I would stick to a disinfectant designed for small animal cages and use this to disinfect everything.

It would be best to leave then leave the cage and equipment to rest before introducing a new hamster - I would say at least 2 weeks, preferably a month to be sure.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say on top of the advice on cleaning to avoid more wet tail, get your new hamster from a good breeder rather than Pets at Home or similar. It will be much more likely to have been bread for helth and in good conditions than one from a pet shiop that is just bred to make money in god knows what conditions.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may or may not cheer you up? clicky :D