Comments

• jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6. The Enemy- Lee Child
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17. My Dearest Jonah (10th -13th March) – I nearly gave up on this one about fifty pages in as it was just not going anywhere. I persisted, partially to avoid having wasted an evening, and I’m sort of glad I did. It was generally well written and there were some lovely expressions of what love and desperation are. What jarred for me were a few things. Firstly, the self-published feel of the novel, as it had some terrible typos, missing punctuation and misplaced words which made me grind my teeth a bit. Secondly, that Verity was such a thoroughly irritating character, whilst Jonah was a bit bland and a nonentity. Lastly, the fact that they wrote letters to each other but almost never commented upon what the other had said beyond warning each other to be careful. To be honest, they didn’t read as letters but as simultaneous first person narrations, which seemed the best way to read the thing overall. Odd.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    52. My Sweet Valentine (Article Row, #3) by Annie Groves 5/5
    53. Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris 5/5
    54. Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris 5/5
    55. Trapped by Jacqui Rose 4/5
    56. Dead To The World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris
    Goodreads wrote:
    You have read 56 books toward your goal of 150 books.
    56 of 150 (37%)
    Awesome, you're 27 books (17%) ahead of schedule!
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    91) Life on Air - David Attenborough
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. Rachel's Holiday - Marian Keyes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    64. The Gamble by Kristin Ashley - too long and pretty boring
    65. On Every Street by Karina Halle
    66. Documentary by AJ Sand
    67. Freshman Forty by Christine Duval
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    92) D is for Deadbeat - Sue Grafton
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2) Star Trek the next generation: Silent weapons- David Mack
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. Fireproof-Alex Kava
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. Good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    93) A Day at the Office - Matt Dunn

this got a bit tedious with constant misunderstandings between the main characters

94) A Broken Family - Kitty Neale
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18. When Good Friends Go Bad by Ellie Campbell (13th-17th March) – standard chick lit. Four school friends grow apart and then come back together. There were some unexpected twists and turns along the way, although Jen’s ending is a little predictable – but not before she gives a very strange 11th hour confession over something! It was all a bit too coincidental, but readable enough.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12) A Hidden Cottage by Erica James
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    73. Lifeless - Mark Billingham 7/10
    Sphere (Hachette UK), 500 pages
    <Detective> Tom Thorne book 5. This series is as good, if not better than the Rebus and Wallander books! DI Tom Thorne is on the outs and somehow gets himself assigned to an undercover role where has to pose as a homless man for months to track a serial killer killing the homeless in London. Billingham writes an assured tale in which the myriad issues affecting the homeless as analysed without detracting from the core investigation in the book. It also goes without saying that the characterisations of both key and minor players is very good... really enjoying this detective series, but like Wallander, maybe because I have been going through the books slowly and not all on one go?

74. The New Teen Titans 1983-1984 - Marv Wolfman and George Perez 5/10
    D C Comics, 381 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The New Teen Titans #27-40 and Annual #2. The legend that this series became is partially due to the slow build up over this period where Terra joins the team and ingratiates herself with them, whilst obviously displaying a lot of unpleasantness and questionable behaviour... the reader knows the score from early doors, but the characters have no idea. Great suspense throughout.

75. Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol - Rachel Pollack 3/10
    Vertigo (D C Comics), 603 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Collects Doom Patrol volume 2 #63-88.
    76. Doom Patrol volume three - John Acudi & Tan Eng Huat 6/10
    D C Comics, 503 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Doom Patrol volume 3 #1-22. Acudi's run, stylised by Huat's art brings the Doom Patrol on closer contact with the real world, with four new young members in addition to Robotman; and strong references rib marketing and TV. Cliff Robotman Steele is the hub of the series, and we also get summaries of the elapsed time since the previous incarnation of the series. Good run.

77. Tales Of The New Teen Titans 1984-85 - Marv Wolfman, George Perez etc 6/10
    D C Comics, 519 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Tales of the New Teen Titans #41-59 is the final run of volume one of The New Teen Titans, focussing on the Terra/Terminator storylines.

78. Death On The Nile - Agatha Christie 8/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 285 pages
    <Modern Classic> The eighteenth, and one of the most well known Poirot case sees Christie wield a most wonderful take of misdirection, red herrings and subterfuge culminating in deaths on the Nile. A truly classic detective story.
    79. One, Two, Buckle My Shoe - Agatha Christie 7/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 294 pages
    <Modern Classic> The twenty second Poirot case has him unconvinced of the cut and dried assertion by Inspector Japp of a suicide at the dentist, and as a result uncovers a multi-layered conspiracy and more murders! Great case.

80. More Awkward Situations For Men - Danny Wallace 7/10
    Ebury Press (Random House), 280 pages
    <Observational Comedy> Far funnier than the first book ('Awkward Situations')… with a lot of Wallace's observational (of mostly people he knows or met) stories being centred around him becoming a father for the first time, and yet again his great friend 'Colin'.

81. Tell-All - Chuck Palahniuk 1/10
    Vintage (Random House) , 179 pages
    <Dark Comedy> The mighty Palahniuk writing style, just doesn't really work on this last days of a Hollywood movie star satirical dark comedy.

82. The Cut - George Pelecanos 8/10
    Orion Books (Hachette UK), 292 pages
    <Crime> Another succulent slice of Washington DC pie by Pelecanos. A 'grey area' investigator is hired to recover stolen packages and ends up caught in the crossfires of a number of petty and bigger crime conspiracies.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16. Cannery Row - John Steinbeck - brilliant book, even better reading it second time around.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton - good story, good writer, but the whole thing was much longer than it needed to be. 7/10

8. Christmas At The Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan - enjoyable second book, hope there's another. Getting quite attached to the various characters now. 8/10

9. Dead Scared by S. J. Bolton - Totally digging the Lacey Flint series. 9/10
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13. The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman. I listened to the audiobook version read by Rebecca Lacey. An enjoyable listen incorporating village politcs and murder amongst the apple orchards. Paganism and and a touch of the supernatural spice up the mixture. Some good lead characters amongst the cardboard cutouts and music by Nick Drake. I'm tempted to download the next book in the series immediately.
  • ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18. The Apprentice - Tess Gerristen
    19. The Sinner - Tess Gerristen
    20. Body Double - Tess Gerristen
    21. Vanish - Tess Gerristen
    22. The Mephisto Club - Tess Gerristen
    23. The Keepsake - Tess Gerristen
    24. The Killing Place - Tess Gerristen
    25. The Silent Girl - Tess Gerristen

Just had a Gerristen marathon. Really enjoyed them.
    Having a slow reading year so far but sure I'll catch up. Blaming the puppy and also a skiing holiday rather than a relaxing one!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    95) The Kindness of Strangers - Mike McIntyre

Story of a journalist who hitched across America penniless - a very good read
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my days, lots to add!

27. The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen. Number 6 in the Rizzoli and Isles series.

28. The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen. Number 7 in the Rizzoli and Isles series.

29. Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen. Number 8 in the Rizzoli and Isles series.

30. Freaks by Tess Gerritsen. A short story that supposedly sits between books 8 and 9. Too short to really be enjoyable.

31. The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen. Number 9 in the Rizzoli and Isles series. Probably my least favourite so far, every other book apart from 'The Sinner' have been fantastic but this one didn't grab me so much.

32. First Shift by Hugh Howey. First in a trilogy and the prequel to 'Wool' which was a fantastic read. This one was good, but didn't enjoy it as much as Wool.

33. Second Shift by Hugh Howey. Second part of the trilogy, better than the first one and much more enjoyable.

34. Third Shift final part of the trilogy, back up to form and not far from the standard of Wool. Can't wait for the next novel which I think will link the Wool books with this trilogy.

35. Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman. Really good thriller about vulnerable teenagers who are enticed away by an internet predator. Quite dark and really makes you think about how easy it is for kids to be duped by people they meet online.

36. Pretty Girl Thirteen by Liz Coley. Wow. Just Wow. My favourite book of the year so far. It's about a girl called Angie who is abducted at the age of 13 and then suddenly reappears three years later with no memory of where she's been for the past three years. It's a very dark book but absolutely fascinating and I've not stopped thinking about it since I finished it last night. Can't recommend highly enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @poppycat Pretty Girl 13 was great! Was recommended to me on Twitter and I read it in a day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    @poppycat Pretty Girl 13 was great! Was recommended to me on Twitter and I read it in a day!

I did too, I started it at lunchtime yesterday and finished it last night. I even cooked dinner with my kindle in one hand as I couldn't put it down!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18. The Last Kestrel, by Jill McGivering. This one had been sitting on my Kindle for ages before I got around to reading it and I can now see why. Female journalist returns to Afghanistan to find out why her young guide/translator from a previous trip had been killed. Not that well written, and slightly exploitative. A generous 2/5.

19. The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Penman. Picked this after Sue_C listed it on here, and I'm so glad I did. A gripping read of the life of Richard III. And I agree with Sue_C, he would have hated to be buried in Leicester. York would be great, or even Fotheringey, but looks like that is not going to happen. Sad about that. 5/5

20. Fatherland, by Robert Harris. Set in the 1960s in a world where Germany has won WWII, German detective Xavier March begins to discover the secrets of the Final Solution. An excellent stand alone thriller, this is a very good read. 4/5

21. Unwanted, by Kristina Ohlsson. Set in and around Stockholm, detective Alex Recht and his team try to solve the distressing crimes of young children being abducted by a mysterious killer. 3.5/5
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6. Pretty Girl Thirteen - Liz Coley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    96) The Shoestring Club - Sarah Webb