This Thread will be paying respect to Anne & Reliving Deirdre Barlow's best bits!

Comments

• lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be missed by so many. R.I.P Anne

http://youtu.be/E6cWrl0lCpk
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Sincere sympathy to her family and friends, RIP Anne.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recent camping eppie was fab, though of course there are many hilarious Deirdre moments. Her relationship was Ken was genius , her being quite common and him an intellectual. They are like Tim and Sally in reverse (not though Sally is intellectual but she certainly thinks she is!)
    Who will walk Eccles!?

So sad about Anne.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    It's not a Deirdre moment, but I keep thinking of the League of Gentleman, when Pauline at the job club said "Do I look like Deirdre Rachid?", and Ross or someone said "Yes you do actually."

For some reason I keep thinking of her as Deirdre Rachid, even though she's been Barlow again for years. Loved it when Samir turned up on her doorstep in Weatherfield and was so mad about her. His death was shocking, but at least part of him lives on in Traceyluv :)

This has made me smile! :D

It's the scene where Pauline loses it and holds Ross hostage - wrapping him up in sellotape. He says 'you'll go to prison for this!' to which Pauline replies: 'Do I look like Deirdre Rachid?!'

:D:D:D

I think I'll spend the evening watching League of Gentlemen now. Thanks!
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall much of Coronation Street before 2000, but Dierdre's two hander episode with Tracy was one of the best episodes of the series I've seen.

I felt Anne did a magnificent job of conveying Dierdre's despair at her own life and her despair at realising just what exactly Tracy had become.

It's actually the only episode I've purposely sought out a few years later to re-watch. To me the character never reclaimed those dramatic heights again after that episode, but I can see from her acting and characterisation in those scenes just how much of an asset she must have been to the show in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    "Wendy flaming Crozier" :D:D
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not from Coronation Street, but this is one of the only Anne interview I remember from So Graham Norton in 2002 on Channel 4 when Graham used to get guests that he admired and enjoyed. He had a lot of actors from Corrie and Eastenders on then. I enjoyed the introduction with Graham and Linda Hamilton as Jack and Vera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69fOb31SPSI

The only other Anne TV appearance I remember is her and Dave appearing on All Star Mr and Mrs.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't the episode where she finally chose either Ken or Mike cause a football game to be stopped and revealed to the crowds?

Not quite.

They put a message on the scoreboard at half time.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Not quite.

They put a message on the scoreboard at half time.
    Indeed. At Man U v Arsenal, which read, “Ken and Deirdre reunited. Ken – 1, Mike – 0.”

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Indeed. At Man U v Arsenal, which read, “Ken and Deirdre reunited. Ken – 1, Mike – 0.”

Lovely moment considering that it was Manchester versus some cockney wide boys, just like Ken & Mike!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    I loved it when she was caught on camera snogging Lewis in the bookies :D

....that was soooo funny! :D
    yep...at Old Trafford.
    How we cheered ! :D

....those were the days the whole country was gripped by that SL it was just brilliant :cool:
    "Wendy flaming Crozier" :D:D

.......I can't read those words without hearing Deidre's voice :):(
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Too many to choose from:

The AA meeting
    Manchester Tart
    The caravan holiday in Wales
    Her two hander episode with Tracy
    That was a brilliant episode.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the classics been mentioned. I also liked Ken and Deirdre in the Peter Kay Amarillo video.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,417
    Forum Member
    This has made me smile! :D

It's the scene where Pauline loses it and holds Ross hostage - wrapping him up in sellotape. He says 'you'll go to prison for this!' to which Pauline replies: 'Do I look like Deirdre Rachid?!'

I think I'll spend the evening watching League of Gentlemen now. Thanks!

Thankyou, I'd forgotten the details :)

It was on the local news here that you can vote for your favourite Deirdre scene on the ITV website - but she's had so many brilliant moments I couldn't single one out.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a scene during the Mike Baldwin/Dierdre/ affair when she'd been out with some of the girls who delivered her back to Uncle Albert's house worse for wear and riddled with indecision and guilt about the affair. She played the part brilliantly, she was enjoying herself one minute and laughing her head off and the next over emotional and breaking down into tears. It's stuck in my mind all this time. She's always been good at playing drunk :cool:
  • HomefieldsHomefields Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Some great clips on here. I loved those remixes of Ken's homecoming! :D

I watched the episode today where Deirdre moved into the Corner Shop flat. She was in quite a reflective mood and had a fella after her, too. I found the scene just before the break particularly poignant. It's not a particularly dramatic episode, but Deirdre's in about a third of it so I think it's a good watch in terms of being an important milestone in Deidre's life. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJZsJfnRkg
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As been mentioned the Alcoholics Anonymous meeting with Ken and Blanche.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eccles
  • Blank SpaceBlank Space Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    The character of Deirdre I felt went downhill ever since she sided with Kristy over Tyrone and taking her down the comedy root didn't work for me.

Its huge blow, but so was losing the likes of Annie,Ena and Elsie in the early 80's.
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,417
    Forum Member
    I loved Deirdre's friendship with Liz. They didn't have enough scenes together recently, since Liz's latest return, which is a shame. They were hilarious when they were pressurised to join Jack's ladies' bowls team. Jack was dressed as a woman, but I thought Deirdre and Liz were funnier.

There was a lovely tribute to Deirdre from Nancy Banks Smith in The Guardian this week, and links to the articles she wrote at the time of some of Deirdre's big stories. Sorry I couldn't post a link, but you can search for Nancy Banks Smith on Deirdre Barlow and it's there :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Some of my best Deirdre scenes are the ones also with Blanche. 2 for me really stand out, the one where blanche gets the wrong end of the stick and wrongly believes ken is having a gay affair with Gails dad Ted after she takes a message from him asking for Ken to meet him in a hotel, her reaction to it and explaining to Deirdre how it must be true 'he's started drinking camomile tea of a night'! Then when Ken gets home it all kicks off, very funny scene, wish I could find a clip of it. And also Deirdre and Blanches exasperation when Ken is up in the loft trying to find the book he wrote years ago, Blanche: 'so not even the moths have taken an interest'. Just a couple of really funny moments in the Barlow household, such a shame it won't be the same again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the inevitable tribute show, I wonder if there's any chance of us seeing Deidre playing the harmonica in the Rovers?

People still don't believe it happened.
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member

That's made me well up, she looks so well and happy in the picture surrounded by her family.

God bless you Annie.

Been watching so many Deirdre episodes of Corrie this week. She really was THE best soap character ever.