Kitten getting spayed on Tuesday

GlasgowLassGlasgowLass Posts: 22
Forum Member
I'm quite new to these forums but have loved reading all the cat and pet advice given here! My beautiful wee kitten, Phoebe (6 months old), is getting spayed on Tuesday. Although she is an indoor cat, my vet has advised that being spayed is the best option for her. I am, however, very apprehensive about the operation and not sure what to expect from her behaviour when she returns home. How long should I expect her to be feeling 'under the weather' for? Also worried that her behaviour in general may change. She is a very lovable/excitable kitten and would hate for her personality to change!

Comments

• flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure she'll be just fine. she'll probably be a little drowsy when you pick her up from the vets but they soon perk up. I was suprised how quickly mine were bouncing about again, in just a few hours. I had to go back to the vet quickly before they closed to get them 'lampshades' to wear because straight away they were trying to pull out their stitches, so it may be a good idea to get one while you are there, just in case you might need it. I never noticed any personality change at all, I think it's mainly male cats that change, and usually for the better.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I'm quite new to these forums but have loved reading all the cat and pet advice given here! My beautiful wee kitten, Phoebe (6 months old), is getting spayed on Tuesday. Although she is an indoor cat, my vet has advised that being spayed is the best option for her. I am, however, very apprehensive about the operation and not sure what to expect from her behaviour when she returns home. How long should I expect her to be feeling 'under the weather' for? Also worried that her behaviour in general may change. She is a very lovable/excitable kitten and would hate for her personality to change!

My 3 current cats were already neutered when I acquired them. However, my late Tabitha was neutered at about 5 months old and she was absolutely fine. I really really missed her while she was having her operation (took a day off work) and was warned when I collected her later that day (about 4pm) that she would be tired and probably not eat much - but she was back to normal straight away. It took a while for her fur to grow back and, back then, I wasn't given a collar for her (I probably wouldn't have used it anyway as my cats find them distressing) - she did therefore remove her own sutures but she left them until they were irritating her and almost due for removal anyway. The vet just said to me that 'cats will be cats'.

Your cat will be fine, don't worry, you're definitely doing the right thing :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Mine bounced about and didn't change. It was a pain keeping her in. I was meant to keep her in for two weeks but she was climbing the banisters and driving me mad, so I let her out and the neighbours were asking what she had removed as they had not seen a spayed female before.
  • GlasgowLassGlasgowLass Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    All of these replies are very reassuring and have put my mind at ease :) I'm hoping Phoebe will bounce back quite quickly as she's a very active cat and would hate to see her unwell/drowsy! Just dreading leaving her at the vets as she can be quite clingy and will no doubt be unsure of her surroundings. My vet is absolutely lovely though so I'm sure she'll be in very safe hands!
  • Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    Hiya

I'm sure she will be fine, when my famale cat was spayed we were warned she would be drowsy but she was running around mad. She didn't like the lampshade/ coller and she took it off more than once. She eventually pulled the stitches out.

I know what you mean though my kittens are being neutuered the first week in November and I probably won't want to eave them! Like yours they are indoor cats but I've noticed one of them has started jumping his brother:o
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Might be different as my kitty is a boy, but he was home the same day as his snip, and was his usual self within a few hours of getting home.

From memory of my last girl kitty, I think she was a bit dopey when she got home for the day, but was right as rain by the next day. The vets won't let your cat leave the surgery until they're sure she's on the right road, so you'll know that once your cat's home she'll be all well.
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the comments that she should be fine. Cat's bounce back so quickly. I have male cats so their operation is a lot easier then for females (my youngest goes for the snip next week - can't come soon enough as he stinks like a Tom Cat).

One of my cats has had 4 operations in his lifetime and each time he has amazed me at how quickly he got over them. I wish us humans could bounce back like cats.

The hardest part was trying to keep him quiet when he first got home. I think he gets so excited that he is back home that he just will not rest, it is a little unnerving when a slightly woozy cat tries to jump from the tv cabinet onto the sofa (and misses).

Good luck for Tuesday.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am surprised how many cats had visible stitches. The two I've had spayed both had under the skin stiches - invisible - which they left alone. The last one had an incision about 1/2 inch long!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    Am surprised how many cats had visible stitches. The two I've had spayed both had under the skin stiches - invisible - which they left alone. The last one had an incision about 1/2 inch long!

I suppose some vets don't have that technology. It sounds better for the kittens and I wish my IP had it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member

Hi,

I felt the same way when we got Winnie spayed. She will be fine, she's in good hands. When she comes home she will be feeling under the weather. She probably won't sleep for a couple of hours, and then she'll settle.

The vet is right with regards to her being spayed despite being an indoor cat. She'll probably want to go out anyway, but even more so when she's in season.

A lot of people believe that a cats personality changes once being neutered, but apparently that isn't the case. It certainly isn't a good enough reason to not get your pet neutered.

You and your pet will feel so much better once she's been spayed. She won't have to go through pregnancy and giving birth and you won't have to worry about her getting pregnant.

It's worth noting that one way or another, allowing your cat to have kittens works out just as expensive as it does to get them spayed (food, flea and worming treatments, litter), it all adds up.

It's natural to be nervous, but Pheobe will be fine. Can I ask whether you are getting her microchipped as well? Sometimes the chipping is half price if your also getting them spayed. It is more comfortable for the pet too as the needle is really long and they won't feel it if they are under.

Anyway, gonna end my essay now! :D

Good luck. Feel free to post again if you have any other concerns.
    Forum Member
    How is your kitten now, GlasgowLass? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just spent 8 weeks looking after a foster cat and her 5 kittens (and a week with just mum before they were born), I'd say that even if you have a super-expensive vet that getting your cat spayed is cheaper by some distance - and less work and less worry.

It also cuts her risks of breast cancer to almost zero, ditto pyometria. It's a win-win situation.

I'm sure she will be back to normal very soon. Do remember, though, at 6 months she is becoming much more adult in her outlook, so she may seem co-incidentally to be a bit less kittenish and lively.

And did I mention spraying? Some unneutered female cats spray when they are calling. Along with the noise it's an advert for 'girl available'....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Ruby was already spayed when I got her from the shelter (9 weeks old!! :eek:)

Elphie was my first kitten I had to "take to be spayed" and I felt horrible, but seriously I have never seen her so hyper as when I brought her home, even up until now and she's 2 now!! Haha. She completely bounced off the walls and I was worried she was going to rupture her stitches, which also fell out after like 3 days! The cone was pointless from the start as well! Most of the little mites bounce right back :) x
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will all be fine. I've only got boys who were neutered but they were running around and jumping up on things as soon as they came home - can't imagine a human male doing the same after a similar op!!:)
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all the lovely replies everyone! Phoebe has just returned home from the vet and is very woozy. She is walking around almost as though she is drunk! The incision is very small though and the stitches are under the skin, which the vet says makes recovery much easier. The hardest part was leaving her this morning, especially when a dog yelping at her at the vet's reception made the experience even more traumatic for her! She's just had a wee munch of scrambled egg and will keep a close eye on her. Will update you all soon :-)
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all the lovely replies everyone! Phoebe has just returned home from the vet and is very woozy. She is walking around almost as though she is drunk! The incision is very small though and the stitches are under the skin, which the vet says makes recovery much easier. The hardest part was leaving her this morning, especially when a dog yelping at her at the vet's reception made the experience even more traumatic for her! She's just had a wee munch of scrambled egg and will keep a close eye on her. Will update you all soon :-)

Aww I'm glad she's okay.

Leaving them at the vet is the worst part. I couldn't help but count down the hours until I could pick my two up.
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it's all over for you both, hopefully she'll be right as rain soon.

Leaving them at the vets is definitely the hardest part, cos you can't tell them what is going to happen and that you will be back soon. I must have driven my vets mad the first time I dropped one of mine off for an operation. I rang them all the time! I am more relaxed now, but it is still hard. Next Tues my little boy goes for the snip, and I have taken the day off work as I know I won't be able to concentrate until I hear he is okay to come home.

Wishing Pheobe a speedy recovery.
    Forum Member
    Update: Wee Phoebe is feeling so much better today. She's jumping here, there and everywhere (despite my best efforts to keep her relaxed so the wound will heal better!). She seems completely back to normal which I'm amazed at! She also doesn't seem to find the wound painful and can lie/roll around on it fine. I wish us humans were as good at recovering as cats are!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat spay wounds heal remarkably easily if they are on the cat's side. A vet explained to me that they just part the muscle fibres so when they are finished it all pings back to the correct place (a bit of swelling I presume) and they just have to stitch the skin, so there is very little cutting involved.

Minnie bounced out of the cat carrier and straight into a round or two of the wall of death, followed by demanding food, followed by a good sleep. She was 9 months old - she was very small, so I hung on until she had a call. 9 months is very late for an Oriental to start calling! She wasn't allowed out and her brother was already neutered so that call didn't lead to anything. She was a trollop though and rolled in front of anything that might be male! The crying at night was a PITA as well.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Gizmo and Bookend were fine after being spayed, a little quiet for a few hours and a bit confused by the missing fur I think but fine. Bookend was searching for food within a few hours but Gizmo was off hers unti lthe next morning and both slept like logs the night of their ops.
  • Cha Cha HeelsCha Cha Heels Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've all been there and know how worrying it but they really are very resilient and get over it in super quick time. Phoebe is a lovely name.