Options

Should there be free entry to theme parks etc for poorer people?

Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think the cost of getting into theme parks is far too expensive at over £20 per adult in some cases. This denies the poorer people the chance to visit these places. In Blackpool its £6 to enter the pleasure beach which used to be free. Now locals are forced to walk on by as they can't afford entry.

I would like to see some sort of system so that the unemployed etc can get free or reduced price entry to these parks. It would be good for the park as it would mean better promotion. Even if the unemployed got in for free they'd be buying food and gifts etc.

It's even more expensive if you have a family.

Perhaps show a card or something to enable free entry?

Also students should get free entry as well.

Would you support such a scheme? I think if enough people make a petition and show the reasons why it would be good for the park the places like Thorpe park Alton towers etc may be encouraged to make concessions.

Comments

• Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Is this what's known as bait?...lol
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    so free house free food free **** free booze free sky arent enough?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the cost of getting into theme parks is far too expensive at over £20 per adult in some cases. This denies the poorer people the chance to visit these places. In Blackpool its £6 to enter the pleasure beach which used to be free. Now locals are forced to walk on by as they can't afford entry.

I would like to see some sort of system so that the unemployed etc can get free or reduced price entry to these parks. It would be good for the park as it would mean better promotion. Even if the unemployed got in for free they'd be buying food and gifts etc.

Would you support such a scheme? I think if enough people make a petition and show the reasons why it would be good for the park the places like Thorpe park Alton towers etc may be encouraged to make concessions.

I think it should be on a sliding scale, so earners over 100k pay 100 quid, 50k pay 50 quid, 10k pay 10 quid etc.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the emphasis should be on providing the poor basic essentials such as food, before we even begin to think about theme park entry.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so free house free food free **** free booze free sky arent enough?

No. They need free theme parks too. Why should only rich people have fun? Give them free holidays too.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco clubcards will get you into most places free of charge.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about football matches and pop concerts and movies and holidays to benidorm and nights out in pubs/restaurants/nightclubs ?

Why single out theme parks ?
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It this a real op?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this what's known as bait?...lol

Yes :)
  • Options
    stringmanstringman Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    well this a difficult one.
    I wouldn't consider myself poor, I work and am self employed, but I cant afford to smoke, cant afford sky, rarely go out and even a take away is a luxury. So define Poor.
    Many people on benefits do seem "on the surface" to have a better lifestyle than I do but you cant make a judgement from a snapshot (and know I am not making ANY judgements)
    In Greenwich they used to charge for all the museums etc but if you were a resident and turned up with proof of ID and proof of local residency then you got in free so that's one option (relating to the Blackpool Beach)
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should hand the tickets out in estate pubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it should be on a sliding scale, so earners over 100k pay 100 quid, 50k pay 50 quid, 10k pay 10 quid etc.

That sounds a good system people pay according to their means. Millionaires should pay far more than the rest of us. Good idea :)

That's a good thing about ID cards as they could state your wealth on them and people who have a lot of money quite rightly should pay more.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Yes :)

just as I suspected...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    They should hand the tickets out in estate pubs.

Flat roof pubs you mean?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want free hotel rooms, free flights, free food, free DVDs, free Sky subscription.

And the government should give me a free house.
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    *Scooby Doo style laughter*
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a £100 plus family ticket keeps the riff raff out so my family and i can enjoy ourselves with decent people..not a load of stag parties
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah. If poor people can't afford amusement parks let them eat cake :)
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I wouldn't stop with Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach, they should be allowed free entry into Walt Disney World and Sea World in Orlando (with Virgin Atlantic providing free air travel of course)
  • Options
    fadedfaded Posts: 2,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what else we can do to patronise the unemployed?
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, would poor people have to produce their p 60's at the entrance?
    It would be impossible to administer
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I want free hotel rooms, free flights, free food, free DVDs, free Sky subscription.

And the government should give me a free house.

Don't forget about a free car you will need to get to the theme parks.
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not rich but I wouldn't expect to walk into a theme park for free maybe they should have more discounts for poor people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    So, would poor people have to produce their p 60's at the entrance?
    It would be impossible to administer

If your unemployed you simply show your 'signing on' book or award letter if your on any other benefit.

A card system would be best where you get a photo card from the social and show it at theme parks etc.

The best thing would have been if we had got ID cards as we were promised some years ago and that would show our status.
  • Options
    ParashootistParashootist Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Never seen the appeal of them tbh. Guest passes? WTF!!!!!!!!!