Options

New Humax Freesat+ HDR 1000S review

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gr4z wrote: »
    Mmm weird. Its only on iplayer. Everything else is ok including itv player. Will keep testing it out. I get the stuttering at the start but as I live in a village I only get 3mbps. After about 15 seconds it seems to be fine again. Unfortunately HD on iplayer won't with with this net connection.

Picture for freesat channels is superb. Have to remember to record everything in HD on the 1Tb so I don't have to use iplayer :)

Shame they can't use progressive download like iPlayer on Sky. They're getting full broadcast HD quality on iPlayer, regardless of connection speed.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Shame they can't use progressive download like iPlayer on Sky. They're getting full broadcast HD quality on iPlayer, regardless of connection speed.
    Shame it also means Freesat from Sky users wont be able to access iPlayer on their boxes, so will get nothing regardless of connection speed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Mmm weird. Its only on iplayer. Everything else is ok including itv player. Will keep testing it out. I get the stuttering at the start but as I live in a village I only get 3mbps. After about 15 seconds it seems to be fine again. Unfortunately HD on iplayer won't with with this net connection.

Picture for freesat channels is superb. Have to remember to record everything in HD on the 1Tb so I don't have to use iplayer :)

I live in the sticks too but fortunately our local exchange was recently upgraded and speeds jumped from about 6mb to 18mb so well pleased. It certainly makes a big difference when streaming from the net, Iplayer does look quite good in HD, hopefully yours will get upgraded soon.

I had a little play with music files on a USB stick earlier just to check the USB was functioning. MP3 files played fine, though I had to format the stick as Fat32 before it got recognised, I thought I saw someone mention this box supported NTFS ?, I also copied a couple of MP4 files but the player could'nt see them, so I'm a bit unsure what video formats it can read... so I need to research that. Easy enough to copy stuff to the Humax h/drive and play from there, but can only copy back to the USB stick files you have put on, IOW no way of copying anything recorded onto a USB stick.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lunar524 wrote: »
    I live in the sticks too but fortunately our local exchange was recently upgraded and speeds jumped from about 6mb to 18mb so well pleased. It certainly makes a big difference when streaming from the net, Iplayer does look quite good in HD, hopefully yours will get upgraded soon.

I had a little play with music files on a USB stick earlier just to check the USB was functioning. MP3 files played fine, though I had to format the stick as Fat32 before it got recognised, I thought I saw someone mention this box supported NTFS ?, I also copied a couple of MP4 files but the player could'nt see them, so I'm a bit unsure what video formats it can read... so I need to research that. Easy enough to copy stuff to the Humax h/drive and play from there, but can only copy back to the USB stick files you have put on, IOW no way of copying anything recorded onto a USB stick.

It can read NTFS USB devices - I found that more file types can be played via DLNA than on USB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I can play everything on my Synology NAS via the DLNA client. Works great.

I have seen another weird error. During last nights poor weather my signal broke up. I went into the signal quality and it stated that only tuner 1 had a good signal. Tuner 2 has none! This morning I checked again and it's still the same. Bugger. I swapped the cables around and it still said tuner 1 was ok while tuner 2 said no signal. I am beginning to think my tuner 2 is faulty So to double check I recorded something on BBC1 and then tried to record something on ITV1. It worked. So this says both my tuners are working and the humax is displaying my signal wrong.

Anyone else got this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have seen another weird error. During last nights poor weather my signal broke up. I went into the signal quality and it stated that only tuner 1 had a good signal. Tuner 2 has none! This morning I checked again and it's still the same. Bugger. I swapped the cables around and it still said tuner 1 was ok while tuner 2 said no signal. I am beginning to think my tuner 2 is faulty So to double check I recorded something on BBC1 and then tried to record something on ITV1. It worked. So this says both my tuners are working and the humax is displaying my signal wrong.

Anyone else got this?

I think it only displays (and powers) active tuners. Start a recording, change channels to a different transponder and look again. A power saving feature?

Note that the signal levels are for the selected transpondesr.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I think it only displays (and powers) active tuners. Start a recording, change channels to a different transponder and look again. A power saving feature?

Note that the signal levels are for the selected transpondesr.

Excellent thanks. You are correct. As you say maybe a power saving feature?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Anyone else got this?

Yes.. as stated this is a known issue, mine does the same though it does not affect anything, so it could well be normal in that it only shows both, when the 2 are actually being used, probably is to save power when not used as suggested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It can read NTFS USB devices - I found that more file types can be played via DLNA than on USB.

I'll setup some shared media files and give DLNA a try later, this was useful when I used a media streamer box a little while ago.

Will also try another USB stick formatted to NTFS and try it again.... very strange.

I noticed when viewing the contents of the usb pen-drive such as a directory of music mp3 ect. that the coloured option icons at the bottom are only visible when inside a folder.
    They disappear when you move back into the main root, though they still work okay and function if you press them, so that's a small bug that needs fixing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ignore the previous post, I tried it again using a USB2 8gb pendrive formatted to NTFS and it works fine, I also noticed the coloured option icons are also now present when in the root folder. :) So it obviously didn't like this USB3 drive for some reason. Though I've been unable to play any mpeg movies directly from the pendrive as yet :confused:
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Shame it also means Freesat from Sky users wont be able to access iPlayer on their boxes, so will get nothing regardless of connection speed.

I agree, but it would be almost impossible for Sky to implement it on boxes that don't have an enabled HDD.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lunar524 wrote: »
    Ignore the previous post, I tried it again using a USB2 8gb pendrive formatted to NTFS and it works fine, I also noticed the coloured option icons are also now present when in the root folder. :) So it obviously didn't like this USB3 drive for some reason. Though I've been unable to play any mpeg movies directly from the pendrive as yet :confused:

Try changing a file extension with .mpg to .ts or ideally use tsmuxergui to remux to .ts.

Mine works OK with a 2TB usb3 drive formatted NTFS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Try changing a file extension with .mpg to .ts or ideally use tsmuxergui to remux to .ts.

Think it was just that one pen-drive, as 2 more + my usb3 1tb drive work fine. Just had a play with the DLNA client, and thats works great too, ironically it plays Mp4 movies fine (as you would expect), in which case you would have thought it would play them from the pen-drive, but will try renaming to .ts. though no big deal as long as the DLNA works well.. which it does. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

renaming to .ts did the trick... thank you. :) I really should have remembered that one, as I now recall having to do that to get my HD camcorder clips to play on my Foxsat HDR 500 some time ago.

Cheers matey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm another thing i just noticed, the recordings dont show what date they were taped, whereas i am certain the Foxsat did....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    Hmmmm another thing i just noticed, the recordings dont show what date they were taped, whereas i am certain the Foxsat did....

The recordings in a series folder have date information. One offs don't. Neither has time recorded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The recordings in a series folder have date information. One offs don't. Neither has time recorded.

ok thx for that i never do timed recordings usually just seriel link or one offs via epg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    ok thx for that i never do timed recordings usually just seriel link or one offs via epg

Didn't mean that, on a Foxsat-hdr the recorded programme info has both Date, Scheduled and Actual Times of the recording. It's one feature I do miss on the HDR-1000s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't mean that, on a Foxsat-hdr the recorded programme info has both Date, Scheduled and Actual Times of the recording. It's one feature I do miss on the HDR-1000s.

ahh i'm with ya now, doh bit slow on the uptake there lol, and yep thats 1 thing i like cos that way i know when i have taped it maybe might come in a software update :)

altho still i much prefer the freetime to youview, :D
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a few total freeze-ups when playing MKV files. Seems to have happened when pressing stop near the end of the file. No response from remote or unit. Complete power-down has been required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhod wrote: »
    Had a few total freeze-ups when playing MKV files. Seems to have happened when pressing stop near the end of the file. No response from remote or unit. Complete power-down has been required.

What was in the MKV container?
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having used the Humax for just over two weeks,I would just like to say what a pleasure it is to use such a reliable PVR. I did have one problem with catch-up TV just after it was installed,but since then it has not missed a beat. All recordings have been successful,and with such a good picture quality,it has been money well spent. :)
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was in the MKV container?

An H264 video file and AC3 5.1 audio file.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My earlier comments about the few seconds stuttering when iPlayer starts to play seems to have fixed itself..so ignore. I must admit I love the idea of having it integrated and accessible from the EPG. and will be better once 5 & 4 are onboard.

I've been using iPlayer more than usual, and the Pic quality in HD is excellent, I just wish I didn't have to keep setting HD mode everytime I used it.. IOW it should retain the setting.

The DLNA works brilliantly, having the ability to access & stream my film collection stored on the PC is great, infact I've now disconnected my Sony N200 media box as it's more or less redundant now.

I've certainly not experienced any problems with timed recordings so far, tho I have not set any series recordings, no lockups or freezes either.
    Overall, its not a bad box, tho I still think older model is far better looking..:D They definately need to add option to protect/lock recorded files and more channel type sort options.
    I think if they fix these ommissions I'll probably be a happy bunny.

• Options
    vortexvortex Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Hello,

The Foxsat HDR has a universal remote, in the sense that I have set up to control my TV, DVD and Audio with it via the "mode" buttons at the top.

HDR1000s remote does not appear to support this (at least does not have the same buttons)

True or False?

David

+++++++++++++++