New BT street cabinets.

Bt have installed a new street cabinet opisite my house, will this be for infinity ?

Openreach where and when says infinity is coming to my exchange......
Forecast date: By end of 2013.

And what happens to the old cabinet that sits next to the new one ?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the fibre cabinet sits next (or near) the existing cabinet.
    the old one stays and continues to be used.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do this new cabinet look like? All the fibre ones around here got vents on the front, a normal cabinet don't.

If it is a FTTC, the old cabinet stays, so there will be two. Maybe they decided to bring the date forward and not updated the data yet or it could just be a replacement for the old cabinet, they did that up by a mates place a couple years back as the old one was leaking every time it rained.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    geo g wrote: »

Yep, that's an Infinity cabinet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cockle wrote: »
    Yep, that's an Infinity cabinet.

No, it is not a infinity cabinet, it is a fibre cabinet.
    So yes OP, it seems like you may get it earlier than what they say, but then again you may not.
    The one by a mates place was put in 2 months before it went live.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats like the one just over two streets away from me. Thats been there since early 2011.
    New houses just to the east of my area have been getting built since mid 2010 and thats them just getting fiber to some of there streets in the last month or so and I been told that there average speed is just over 50mb. The new housing area is also over 2 miles from the towns BT exchange. Thats been there since I think the mid to late 150s.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The new cabinet had a trench dug up which lead to 2 manhole covers with Post Office Telephones written on them, these covers sit directly infront of the old cabinet.
    The trench has been concreted in now.

Ive searched for the new cabinet and found this pic which is the exact design as the one opposote me....

http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/rhino771/media/Cab.jpg.html
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Where I live there is only one cabinet, not two next to each other, for FTTC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Where I live there is only one cabinet, not two next to each other, for FTTC.

There is always two for FTTC, but the other one could be across the road or even around the corner. One where i walk up to a mates place got the old cabinet in a street and the FTTC at the end of a alleyway behind the street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new cabinet had a trench dug up which lead to 2 manhole covers with Post Office Telephones written on them, these covers sit directly infront of the old cabinet.
    The trench has been concreted in now.

Ive searched for the new cabinet and found this pic which is the exact design as the one opposote me....

http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/rhino771/media/Cab.jpg.html

There is one of them a few streets away, i presume it is smaller because it will serve less people, the one up by me is larger.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    There is always two for FTTC, but the other one could be across the road or even around the corner. One where i walk up to a mates place got the old cabinet in a street and the FTTC at the end of a alleyway behind the street.

I see. There are loads of green cabinets around here, so it is not easy to tell sometimes, which are for BT etc. or Virgin Media.

All I know for sure, is that the FTTC box is about 300 metres away.
    Forum Member
    Im constantly checking http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ still says by the end of 2013.

Theres new cabinets going in down the main street from me, the next one is only a 2 min walk away, why so close ?

Plus, if they have finnised installing the new cabinets opposite will they activate it before the other cabinets in my town have finnished being installed, or is it a case of waiting till all are completed ?
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im constantly checking http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ still says by the end of 2013.

Theres new cabinets going in down the main street from me, the next one is only a 2 min walk away, why so close ?

Plus, if they have finnised installing the new cabinets opposite will they activate it before the other cabinets in my town have finnished being installed, or is it a case of waiting till all are completed ?
    It maybe that the cabinets the FTTCs are connected to have a large number of subscriber, and AFAIK, it's not normal for Openreach to feed two cabinets off one FTTC.
    You have to wait for the work to be completed at the exchange before any installed cabinets can go live. The good news is they won't wait for the whole town to be installed before activating them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    So yes OP, it seems like you may get it earlier than what they say, but then again you may not.

If it's not an Infinity cabinet then perhaps you would like to illuminate me on what particular service the Infinity DSLAM behind the left hand door is going to provide, if not Infinity. True, it will have fibre going into it to supply the DSLAM but it will also have copper tie cables going to and from the copper network cabinet so it could equally be described as a copper cabinet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I see. There are loads of green cabinets around here, so it is not easy to tell sometimes, which are for BT etc. or Virgin Media.

All I know for sure, is that the FTTC box is about 300 metres away.

Ah, you got Virgin around there then? Never seen a VM cabinet in the flesh, but I have heard they was larger than Bt FTTC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cockle wrote: »
    If it's not an Infinity cabinet then perhaps you would like to illuminate me on what particular service the Infinity DSLAM behind the left hand door is going to provide, if not Infinity. True, it will have fibre going into it to supply the DSLAM but it will also have copper tie cables going to and from the copper network cabinet so it could equally be described as a copper cabinet.

Infinity is a BTretail trade name for fibre to the cabinet. since other Isps can use these cabinets they are not infinity cabinets.

They are Fibre cabinets. I know it is a bit picky, but i know a few people who thought that Bt was the only ones that could give them FTTC. the way BT advertised it as you can only get infinity with BT, which is true, but some people don't realise that Infinity is just a tradename.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member

I thort infinity was fibre optic? fibre on the road,just not to the house..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Infinity is a BTretail trade name for fibre to the cabinet. since other Isps can use these cabinets they are not infinity cabinets.

They are Fibre cabinets. I know it is a bit picky, but i know a few people who thought that Bt was the only ones that could give them FTTC. the way BT advertised it as you can only get infinity with BT, which is true, but some people don't realise that Infinity is just a tradename.

virgin media is fibre as well.. infact virgin system is very old.. I used to have Nynex and united artists many years ago.. they were fibre..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    I thort infinity was fibre optic? fibre on the road,just not to the house..

It is, but the cabinets are not infinity cabinets.

psouth wrote: »
    virgin media is fibre as well.. infact virgin system is very old.. I used to have Nynex and united artists many years ago.. they were fibre..

I know someone who used to use Telewest, which merged with NTL and then virgin too it over, I don't think it was fibre than. But yes Virgin network is getting on in age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »

No, it is not a infinity cabinet, there is no such thing as a infinity cabinet, even if Bt retail want you to think there is. the cabinet can be used by many ISP's including Sky, Talk Talk, EE, and smaller providers, they don't call their services infinity as it is a trade name.

The cabinets are put in by BT openreach, if you see the poster on the new cabs, it says something like Superfast Fibre Broadband is here.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it is not a infinity cabinet, there is no such thing as a infinity cabinet, even if Bt retail want you to think there is. the cabinet can be used by many ISP's including Sky, Talk Talk, EE, and smaller providers, they don't call their services infinity as it is a trade name.

The cabinets are put in by BT openreach, if you see the poster on the new cabs, it says something like Superfast Fibre Broadband is here.

Of course they can, they rent cable space from BT
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Of course they can, they rent cable space from BT

I am not sure how it works, with FTTC, i think they just use the connections. Talk Talk and Sky use their own system and more or less use the Fibre system after theirs.

I hope someone will come on here and explain better. but the point is FTTC is a Bt openreach thing, not a BT retail or BT wholesale from what i have read.

So anyone calling the fibre cabinets infinity cabinets are wrong.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure how it works, with FTTC, i think they just use the connections. Talk Talk and Sky use their own system and more or less use the Fibre system after theirs.

I hope someone will come on here and explain better. but the point is FTTC is a Bt openreach thing, not a BT retail or BT wholesale from what i have read.

So anyone calling the fibre cabinets infinity cabinets are wrong.

Sky and other providers rent fibre cable space from BT, BT cables and installs the FTTC and as far as I am aware only BT Staff are allowed access to them, so Sky & others need BT to connect them.

TalkTalk and Sky have no intention at the moment of laying their own fibre. But they want to rent BT's fibre at the same low prices they pay for access to copper broadband. Even BT recognises that the broadband market only took off when other companies got involved and competition forced customer prices down.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/may/07/broadband-britain-heading-slow-lane
    Forum Member
    Bt have installed a new street cabinet opisite my house, will this be for infinity ?

Openreach where and when says infinity is coming to my exchange......
    Forecast date: By end of 2013.

And what happens to the old cabinet that sits next to the new one ?

Status update has changed from purple FE Future Exchanges to orange CS.
    And now reads as follows......

Forecast date: September 2013

As I am with O2 , who have been bought over by Sky, or are about to be anyway.
    Do I ask O2 to transfer me to Fibre if I am eligible or would I have to switch to Sky(or another company offering Fibre) ?