Retentions Deals for 2014 - Current Deals for Existing Customers

Can people who are going through retentions post what deals you are getting.

I was on a discounted package of £28 comprising of
    [*]- XXL-BB(120Mb)
    [*]- M-TV
    [*]- Phone-M

My loyalty discount expired as the contract went rolling and the bill jumped to £50. I called and asked to cancel and got transferred to retentions.

I was asked why I was leaving which I explained with the jump in cost plus the discounted rates for new customers etc, usual stuff. She offered to reduce my £50 p/m bill.

£35.99 per month
      [*]- XXL-BB (£20)
      [*]- M Phone (15.99)

- removal of TV-M service (which we don't use due to having Freest HD)

I said I'd wait for the next call in a few days with their final offer. She said there was no point waiting for a call back from the as that system has been scrapped and they don't do that any more. She said they present their best offer on the first call now.

I will decide in a couple of days but am interested what other people are getting.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,687
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        TVXL with Tivo
        60mb Broadband
        M phone
        £44.99p/m for 6 months then £52.50p/m afterwards.
      • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        I'm in a similar position to the OP in that my loyalty discount (£12 off pm) expires within the next couple of months. As soon as it does I will be contacting VM for another discount as with the recent £5.50 price increase I will be wanting at least the same deal again, if not a even better deal to make up for the price increase.

I currently have TV XL, Phone XL and BB L, which I did pay £42 for (excluding line rental as I use LRS), this will be £47.50 with the price increase and then £59.50 when my £12 discount goes.

As I'm out of contract I hope I will have some negotiation power but when I called to complain about the scale of the price increase last year (December) they really didn't offer me that much so I wonder if they are clamping down on retentions deals?
      • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
        Forum Member
        As mentioned, the CSA I was speaking to said they had scrapped the retentions team who do call backs for confirmed cancellations. Once you put the phone down you have the contractual notice period then that's it.

I find this hard to believe, though I'm cynical by nature. Has anyone cancelled recently and been called back days later with a better offer?
      • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
        Forum Member
        Salubrious wrote: »
        As mentioned, the CSA I was speaking to said they had scrapped the retentions team who do call backs for confirmed cancellations. Once you put the phone down you have the contractual notice period then that's it.

I find this hard to believe, though I'm cynical by nature. Has anyone cancelled recently and been called back days later with a better offer?

Cancelled a couple of weeks ago. Missed several calls within the following week and finally spoke to someone at the weekend.

XL TV + TIVO
        V+ box
        V box
        60 MB BB
        Talk Unlimited

New price of £65 per month for 1 year and Superhub 2 being sent for a self install.
      • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        Salubrious wrote: »

This simply isn't true I cancelled and over the next week I had several phone calls from retentions
      • carinocarino Posts: 379
        Forum Member
        We have this package:

TV M

Broadband 120 MB

Phone M

We pay £44.24

We have been with Virgin for twelve years since it was Telewest. Are we paying too much?
        Forum Member
        carino wrote: »
        We have this package:

TV M

Broadband 120 MB

Phone M

We pay £44.24

We have been with Virgin for twelve years since it was Telewest. Are we paying too much?

I would say so, certainly. As mentioned I had the exactly same package last year and was on a 12 month loyalty bonus taking it down to £26 (later up to £29 after the price hike we all got hit with).

My advice, and this is tried and tested.
        Cancel saying you think you're paying too much and new customers are getting a better deal. You may mention BT Infinity with their free Premiership football games for example. Do not get into a debate about your own usage, how many devices you have etc just remain polite and repeat your request. They will give up eventually and you should get a call back within a few days with a better offer.

If anyone else has a better strategy please feel free to add to or correct mine.
      • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        The funny thing is that most of those quoted prices are actually lower than mates rates.
        Forum Member
        Do you work for Virgin then? :p
      • warpspeedwarpspeed Posts: 24
        Forum Member
        were on 30meg bb tivo m unlimited calls 30 pounds per month
      • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,529
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        carino wrote: »
        We have this package:

TV M

Broadband 120 MB

Phone M

We pay £44.24

Way to much, annoys me loyal customers get ripped off, due for new contract soon
      • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,529
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        What i did a year ago was threaten to leave and got nowhere, so sent an email and got a very nice lady who phoned me and sorted me out a great deal, thats coming to an end now and she told me to re do it in one years time which i intend to do shortly

Tommorow my neighbour is going back to virgin and got a good deal for 35.99 a month and just 19.99 installtion that is phone, tivo, and internet
      • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
        Forum Member
        Just be nice to them and be honest, don't threaten to leave unless you are actually going to. I did this and got £12 knocked off straightaway.
      • zigthedogzigthedog Posts: 344
        Forum Member
        Called Virgin Customer Services on Wednesday to complain about price increase, was paying just over £59 for 60mb, XL TV and L Phone. Price went up to a little over £65. They suggested many ways to reduce my subscription but all meant a drop in services. But they advised I called retentions and with no quibbling I was offered the same package but with Tivo (being fitted today) for 6 months at £50.95 then £55.95 for 18 months. I have incurred an Tivo installation charge but I'll still be quids in.:):):)
      • Dean_MorrisDean_Morris Posts: 48
        Forum Member
        Have been with them since bell cable media (1996) then ntl:digital early 2000's then virgin media. 2008/2009 had the best deal 3 for £30 xl tv phone and broadband inc line rental but in 2014 paying £45 for xxxl broadband m phone and m tv inc line rental. Not that i'm home much due to work but i would like xl tv but not willing to go above £50pm barrier or drop my b/b. Retentions recently offered me xl tv with 1tb tivo self install m phone and upto 60mb bb for £59.99 a month but unwilling to drop bb down and also happy with samsung v+ hd box- no way to back up my recordings either still from the £30 pm i use to pay back in 1996 it has pretty much doubled in price in the 18 years that have past
      • Dean_MorrisDean_Morris Posts: 48
        Forum Member
        Also if paying £60 p/m for xl tv i would expect sky sports/bt sport and sky movies and alough i wouldn't use them adult and asian channels as £60 p/m is a hella lot of money when you getting an x/l service but only half the channels
      • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,704
        Forum Member
        gother wrote: »
        TVXL with Tivo
        60mb Broadband
        M phone
        £44.99p/m for 6 months then £52.50p/m afterwards.

I have the same with an extra V+HD for an ongoing £47 a month i was also given £100 credit to my account.

I got this deal after complaining that they would not give me the £47 deal being offered on the VM rates website with the free tablet as i was an existing customer.

They would not give in on the tablet but offered me the £100 instead which i did not mind already having a tablet.
      • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
        Forum Member
        ✭✭
        I think i know the answer to this, but i will ask the question.

We have 2 V+HD boxes
        60mb Broadband
        Tv XL
        M Phone

With the new price increase I pay £77 a month......too much??
      • Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        norton11 wrote: »
        I think i know the answer to this, but i will ask the question.

We have 2 V+HD boxes
        60mb Broadband
        Tv XL
        M Phone

With the new price increase I pay £77 a month......too much??

WOW..!! Sounds a bit too hefty tbh. Just to compare - I have ONE V+ box, but whilst you are on M Phone, I'm on talk unlimited. So

1 x V+ box

60 mb broadband

TV XL

Talk Unlimited

A 'tickle' package - huge discount rates on 08 (ie free 0845) & Talk Mobile reduction of 10p a minute to any mobile.

The pre-paid line saver rental - 'think' it was £120, my second term.

A customer loyalty discount of £6.00 a month.

Net charge is £49.00 to the penny.

Sounds like you are spending a lot for one extra V+ box...paricularly in light of the fact you are on the M phone package.
      • zigthedogzigthedog Posts: 344
        Forum Member
        I recently renewed my contract with Virgin Media and as a customer of Virgin Media and it's predecessors felt I was entitled to a better deal when the prices went up. In general I think I did OK and the increase to around £65 for TV XL, 60mb BB & M Phone was reduced to £50.99 for 6 months and then £55.99 for a further 12 months so I get an 18 month inconclusive deal on a 12 month contract. With this deal I also got a 500GB Tivo though I did have to pay the £49.95 installation charge. The Residential Service Contract I received didn't quite agree with the original offer and that is being addressed by Virgin Media's retention team. What I didn't get, and I must admit didn't really expect it, is the 6 month free Netflix deal.:(

My question is, after getting a loyalty discount is there Virgin Media customers out there who has received a Loyalty Discount AND the 6 months free Netflix deal?:D
      • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        From reading here and knowing the Mates Rates price I think that the most common package seems to be

60Mb Broadband
        XL TV with Tivo
        M/L Phone

at around £55 a month.

I have as above with an additional V HD box and pay £53.74 a month. The additional box is useless to me though so if my package continues to go up I might even look at coming off mates rates . . . .
      • multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
        Forum Member
        20 meg and phone is about 54 pm in total and never seems to go up or down by more than a fiver

Sadly w never use the phone so it's an expensive luxury so I am going to ring them and ask for a deal without a phone. 20meg is fast enough for us so what deals can I expect?
      • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
        Forum Member
        ✭✭✭
        I'm paying £35/month for 20Mb and phone (with just a modem, no router from VM).

I'm tempted to give Retentions a call and point out that Plusnet would give me their (up to) 78Mb, line rental and a router for what I'm currently paying. Am I likely to get any joy?
      • mike33mike33 Posts: 12
        Forum Member
        I'm out of contract but is this a good for the loyalty customer deal I'm on for £30.00 a month,Broadband L 30 mb ,Tv M including Tivo Box and Phone XL which is Talk Unlimited including Multi Talk 150.
      • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
        Forum Member
        I wonder if anyone can give me advice about the tariff we are on as it is increasing by £5.50 per month following the increase. At present we are on:

Talk Unlimited
        TV XL
        Broadband M
        Skymovie 2,SkyMovie 1,Sports 1, Sports 2

We have one V+ box.

The current cost is £86.89 which will be going up to £92.39.

Do you think it would be possible to get any reduction? To be honest I would be willing to let the movie channels go but my husband loves the sports channels and they are included in a joint package price of £34.25 within the monthly charge.

Having been with Virgin since the Blueyonder days I would appreciate any advice.