The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    It really needed a few more smilies than that to get my attention. :-)

I should have put all of them really. :D
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not so much the phrase 'default audience' that offends, it's the implication that viewers are too lazy, stupid or senile to change channels.

If viewers are 'defaulting' to BBC One (causing the higher weekly reach) there are better reasons than those, i.e. a greater variety and/or quality of programmes than ITV.

Of course the BBC are in a unique position that no other channel has. They can make any programme that appeals to the younger audience or older audience without having to worry about ad revenue. Essentially ITV will always be on the backfoot here, where the BBC have the edge.

I imagine if BBC1 were to become commercial channel the 'default audience' that does happen with the BBC channel would soon start to become more brittle.

Some on here think +1 is an unfair advantage to ITV, but then surely comparing ITV and the BBC, one a commercial channel, the other a publicly funded one.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who were looking forward to the excellent film Midnight Run at 11.30pm are really hating the Greece football team about now.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    If you look at the break downs that were posted, you'll see that for the 90 minutes, the ITV and BBC games were not that far apart, it was only when extra time started that the BBC game went sky high.
    Ive just had a look at the breakdowns, and they were far apart! The Brazil game was averaging 6.1m+ from 15minutes onwards. The Uruguay game didnt go above 6.1m at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I agree with you ronant. No one actively avoids watching a football match because it's on Itv. HOWEVER, in terms of very light casual tv viewers with a small interest in football, the BBC are better positioned to attract such viewers to their games than Itv due to superior weekly reach and better cross promotional platforms to publicise their games.

Here's an example: a France primetime game against the 2nd best team in the group on Itv got 4.4million viewers. A few days later an effectively dead rubber France game on the Beeb got 5.2million. Also noway in a million years would yesterday's Brazil coverage have averaged 7.7mill if it had been on Itv at that time of the day.

So essentially you agree that with their various platforms to promote shows, the BBC have an advantage over ITV no matter what they do. Only if the BBC were to become a commercial channel would they be truly be equal for a fair comparison, where 'default viewers' might not occur.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Those who were looking forward to the excellent film Midnight Run at 11.30pm are really hating the Greece football team about now.

Oh heck, should there have been a regional news bulletin during the 11.15pm news?
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    The only way to change it is for itv and OFCOM to come together and work out a situation in which regional news might be commercially viable and thus become an area of interest for itv (if that's even possible). As it stands, it's a chore and will always be treated as such.

Every time ITV and Ofcom come together it ends up with the broadcaster shedding PSB commitments, having got the regulator over a barrel by threatening to push the nuclear button: renouncing its PSB status and Channel 3 licences, which would in all likelihood lead to no regional news at all being shown by whoever took them over.

What you say does make sense, but really it just underlines how important the publicly-funded BBC is and will remain.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    For some reason, some people refuse to believe that a reduced weekly reach means that ratings are likely to be lower. BBC One attracts 6million more viewers than Itv per week, of course as a result of this, BBC One are more likely to attract higher audiences for football matches compared to Itv. It's not a massive difference, as you say it's quite a subtle difference, but if you analyse the ratings closely like we do, you can tell there is a clear difference there. Just as Itv are more likely to get a higher audience than BBC2, and how BBC2 are more likely to get a higher audience than Chanenl5 for like for like content. It's common sense and we see it all the time in the ratings, yet some people refuse to believe it and act as if it's a myth.

The old loyalty to ITV has gone. A rotten noughties and the rise of other commercial channels and BBC One ditching the Nine O Clock News and hitting ITV full on in what was mostly a very strong hour for them has seen ITV fall behind. Also for all the main channel has some decent sized hits, and a few like DA are very well made shows, I wonder where they will go when shows like TXF inevitably fall away. For too long they have chased the female soap , daytime and Cowell audience and not really catered for anyone else.
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Oh heck, should there have been a regional news bulletin during the 11.15pm news?

Just regional weather is in the Radio Times evening A schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just regional weather is in the Radio Times evening A schedule.

Thanks. :) So the regional news presenters would have got a bulletin together for no reason tonight then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    I understand Regional News is valuable to some viewers (I get Granada News and its very hit and miss)....there is a reason post match waffle gets a lot less viewers - its over and done with, no matter what they say it is just opinion and viewers aren't really interested what they say.

we are served well in the midlands with central news which is much better than the bbc's midlands today. bob warman is a regional treasure.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The old loyalty to ITV has gone. A rotten noughties and the rise of other commercial channels and BBC One ditching the Nine O Clock News and hitting ITV full on in what was mostly a very strong hour for them has seen ITV fall behind. Also for all the main channel has some decent sized hits, and a few like DA are very well made shows, I wonder where they will go when shows like TXF inevitably fall away. For too long they have chased the female soap , daytime and Cowell audience and not really catered for anyone else.

Yes they have lost it really. OK the BBC has dealt with the onslaught of satellite better, but lets not forget ITV were "the peoples channel" who at times dominated both daytime and primetime to the extent that the BBC were clueless as to how to deal with it. The BBC's ability to cross promote over many platforms now gives a real boost -where in the past it didn't really make much difference such was ITV's dominance.

ITV have lost an awful lot of viewers over the last twenty years, perhaps too many considering the status and dominance it once had. There used to be affection for "channel 3", but that's all gone-if people watch its not because of that.
    Forum Member
    Interested to see the ratings for this penalty shoot-out at ten to midnight. ITV were unlucky that the match started off poorly, and came to life later on.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Midnight Run will be at 12.35am (80 minutes late).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as the news makes ITV no profit, its no wonder they shove it around the schedule. However to gain public confidence its needs to remain central to the schedule. The News at Ten needs to be at 10pm unless for big programmes or LIVE events. Unfortunately they seem to regard rpt's more important.

I hope whoever was in charge tonight is given a good telling off for this tonight. Its not acceptable. I imagine its against Ofcom rules is it not?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Films is one of the producers of Mrs Brown's Boy D'Movie so we'll likely see it on television probably next Christmas. It only cost £3.6m to make so it'll very profitable for Universal and BBC Films just from the UK Box office and it's going to release in Australia and New Zealand as well so it's no surprise they're planning a sequel, I'm sure the specials will continue, I think Brendan O'Carroll only ever wanted to do three series with specials at Christmas.

I think The BBC were interested in adapting one of Brendan O'Carroll's earlier play The Course as a sitcom and I think a pilot was commissioned but not picked up but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up revisiting it and turning into a one-off drama or a film.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18:05 - Pointless: 1.89m (10.0%)
    18:55 - BBC News: 3.56m (18.3%)
    19:10 - BBC Regional News: 4.67m (24.4%)
    19:20 - Countryfile: 5.27m (26.7%)
    20:10 - Antiques Roadshow: 5.75m (27.0%)
    21:10 - Casualty: 4.07m (18.0%)
    22:00 - BBC News: 3.41m (16.4%)
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@TVRatingsUK: Sunday's World Cup peaks:
    #NED v #MEX - 9.24m/44.9% @ 6.50
    #CRC v #GRE - 6.78m/40.2% @ 10.45 (6.03m/57.1% for pens @ 11.50)"
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Thanks DMN

Casualty just can't hit 5m can it?

How did the Imagine programme on Monty Python do?
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    "Casualty" is a tired worn out show. The BBC should just cut their losses and ditch it. Yes its income for ex-soap actors but they need to get real and know their time is up being famous.

Put something else on. They have already a funding boost, make a better alternative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Thanks

We see here the stronger BBC competition keeps plenty of casual viewers onto BBC1, where ITV fail at and put some useless rpt's.

In fact BBC1 looks like a usual Sunday, those older viewers will not budge unless the football is on BBC1.Looks to me like the BBC made the correct decision not to show football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Casualty's Saturday episode is available on BBC i Player, so looks like it will not be on TV.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Casualty's Saturday episode is available on BBC i Player, so looks like it will not be on TV.

It was shown last night.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Thanks

We see here the stronger BBC competition keeps plenty of casual viewers onto BBC1, where ITV fail at and put some useless rpt's.

In fact BBC1 looks like a usual Sunday, those older viewers will not budge unless the football is on BBC1.Looks to me like the BBC made the correct decision not to show football.

Well it depends how you want to look at it. BBC clearly got a good primetime average in line with a normal Sunday but ITV will have comfortably won primetime with the 2 football matches. Either one of the football matches on BBC would have increased their primetime share and given them the primtime win.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    "Casualty" is a tired worn out show. The BBC should just cut their losses and ditch it. Yes its income for ex-soap actors but they need to get real and know their time is up being famous.

Put something else on. They have already a funding boost, make a better alternative.

What about the 4-5 million viewers who watch it each week and like it?
This discussion has been closed.