Options

China on Four Wheels

mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone else watched this?

I'm just recording a re-showing of the first episode which I think was shown last Sunday.

Comments

• Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did but with increasing lack of interest, sadly a pretty interesting programme was undermined by larking presenters carrying on like it was a three week holiday
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very poor programme, a wasted opportunity with irrelevant self-indulgence from the two presenters.

What a shame.

Embarrassingly trivial, with little substance, it's hard to imagine they could have made a bigger hash of it.

An hour of nothingness really, which should be impossible in somewhere as diverse and mysterious as China.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with above comments.What should have been a great programme was ruined by those two idiots acting the fool.This needed a Palin or Fry to do it justice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this but became increasing bored. I really didn't want to see how many expensive sportscars the boy had or how they "bought" their travelling cars. As others have said it is such a wasted opportunity.
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i thought the same, was very disappointed. Seemed very dulled down and diddnt learn that much about the country.

I feel that the BBC could do with making a proper travel documentary of China. Palin for example, but not sure if he would given his age. Paul Merton had a decent, but wacky documentary traveling around China, but i would love to watch a proper and serious one, that goes over the history and tradition of this massive country. Simon Reeve would do a great job, or even Bruce Parry

Interestingly, i think Palin has a documentary about South America coming out in a few months, looking forward to that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I am going to join the chorus.

I was really looking forward to this - the concept sounded like it had so much potential - but find the presenters a bit irritating. Already in the pre-titles "blurb", the lady said "what is that thing...? [sic]" and the camera zoomed out to show the Pearl Oriental Tower. Granted, this could have been edited to look like so, and not everybody knows the landmarks of Shanghai, but I feel that any presenter worth their salt would have done some research... or had somebody do the research for them.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How disappointing. I think I'll at least give it a go now that I've got it recorded.

I was hoping for something as good as the culinary tour with Ken Hom and Ching-He Huang which I thought was wonderful.

I'd love to see a proper in depth series with Simon Reeve. It is such a fascinating country and it is going through such amazing change. It would be good to record some of the more traditional ways of life before they disappear without trace.

Does anyone remember a documentary series showing life in a remote village in a mountainous region of China many years ago? I think it was called something like "Beyond the Clouds". I loved it so much.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    How disappointing. I think I'll at least give it a go now that I've got it recorded.

I was hoping for something as good as the culinary tour with Ken Hom and Ching-He Huang which I thought was wonderful.

I'd love to see a proper in depth series with Simon Reeve. It is such a fascinating country and it is going through such amazing change. It would be good to record some of the more traditional ways of life before they disappear without trace.

Does anyone remember a documentary series showing life in a remote village in a mountainous region of China many years ago? I think it was called something like "Beyond the Clouds". I loved it so much.

I remember that wonderful series mazzy.

I'd marked this out to watch tonight and feel disappointed in the general consensus in above posts (which I trust because we documentary lovers usually are in agreement). I too loved the Ken Hom programmes.

China is endlessly fascinating and I don't want to see silly presenters messing around.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Agree with above comments.What should have been a great programme was ruined by those two idiots acting the fool.This needed a Palin or Fry to do it justice.
    Off the back of Ken Hom and Ching-He Huang excellent series, we have Dumb & Dumber in China, which was bad...but for me, I still enjoyed it....for all the wrong reasons....presenting was awful, but there was some interesting facts, trying to get out.

And just seeing all the amazing sights of China, is good enough for me.....just a shame, we have poor presenters.
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I don't want to know how many cars that spoilt brat who was handed down the company by mum and dad has. Or that one of the presenters couldn't drive. Which btw, will probably be coming out of taxpayers' bills!
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came across as a jolly up with better cameras than usual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    It was pretty ironic though, she was going on about how dangerous the roads were, then a few minutes after getting her 4x4 she crashes it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I only remembered this programme was on half a hour into it, but from what I saw it seemed an endless journey of motorways from city to city to the final city of Shanghai. Where was the countryside in between? I suppose a visit to a local garage was supposed to make up for the lack of it!!

The BBC could have made a great programme with such an opportunity, instead they wasted it, together with our licence fee.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched both programmes and I pretty much concur the comments. A great documentary ruined by the presenters - some interesting facts but barely failed to scratch the surface.

Anita Rani made me cringe at times, she seems 'up own backside to me' (and not just because she got to drive the black comfortable 'tank'). Justin Rowlatt was OK I thought but even I cringed when the female tourist walked away after he badly phrased a question about the progress of China under communism and capitalism.

The twosome did a similar type of documentary last year about India which was 3 one hour programmes I think.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit cringeworthy in parts,e.g.the miss-handled question at the Mao statue and her running out of a restaurant in disgust.They must have thought what a bozo we have here.
    Otherwise,quite a good travelogue.Lets have another China doc BBC,this time with more competent presenters.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    After watching the India shows they did, I looked forward to this one.

Unfortunately I was very disappointed. Anita Rani in particular was very embarrassing. Laughing like an idiot after crashing that fancy car, and then spitting food out because it didn't taste right. :confused:

This could have been really good, but the two presenters ruined it.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloppy stuff. Can't believe Anita Rani even got another chance after doing India, I find her fake and nowhere near Bollywood material (they seem to be going for the Top Gear route of invented chaos, so contrived).
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed Jeremy Clarkson and Co. All the other classic Top Gear 'challenge' ingredients were there, though.
  • Options
    RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Anita said it best near the end, they're getting richer, more consumerist and more capitalist - and they all want western brands.

I find it extremely sad that the Chinese cannot show the same level of patriotism in homegrown brands and local companies as America, Britain, Japan, South Korea... even India (notice the recent mass protests against the Indian government opening up the market to foreign supermarkets) when they were growing. It basically means they have become a whitewashed country, equating success and status with western brands - no matter how successful they have become, out of the blood sweat and tears of their own people.
  • Options
    sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember a documentary about China's baby girls being abandoned by their families? I think it was called The Crying Rooms or something similar.
    It featured the orphanages the children ended up in and I think the filming was mainly done in secret.
    It really shocked me at the time and I know I'll never forget it - I was in tears during most of it. I think there was a follow-up a couple of years later.