Options

No cold callers etc sign?

littletink1986littletink1986 Posts: 30
Forum Member
I keep getting loads of cold callers, religious preachers, utility companies, etc knocking at my door, and I'm not interested in any of them. Recently I've started ignoring the door if I'm not expecting anyone but it's pretty annoying. I've seen signs / stickers on people's houses (usually black and yellow) telling the above people not to call but I don't know where to get one from. They look quite official.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neighbourhood watch schemes often provide them
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft Word and a colour printer then the wording is up to you to be as offensive as you like.

Suggestion — "My Rottweiler just chewed up the last cold caller, death can be avoided. Go Away while you are breathing"
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Print these yourself courtesy of Martin Lewis:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk

(halfway down page - yellow ones for no traders, blue ones for no traders, charities and religious callers).
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Construct a shark-infested tank below your front door mat with a sliding panel to let the sharks in. Add a basement as well with a clear glass viewing window and a comfortable armchair.

Just dreaming!
  • Options
    briancbbbriancbb Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Our local police station has them.
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually give the v's and walk off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Throw cold water over them . They won't knock again .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned trading standards at my local council and they sent me a few (I've moved it a few times, it's now directly under the door knocker, but is still ignored, mainly by the RSPCA)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't open the door, look out of the window and check to see who it is. Sometimes I open the door at my mum's and tell them not interested and shut the door. Who cares if they think i'm rude. I only ever open it if I am expecting someone. Most normal people ring before coming around.

Just tell them you're visitor and don't live there and shut the door, that works too. Getting rid of people is easy.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made one of these years ago, no one took any notice of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't answer the door unless I expect someone.

I simply tell them to FO and tell them to learn to read.

We are in a flat and they would have to get into the main front door first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I displayed one of these in my porch window, it seemed to present itse;f as more of a challenge to be honest. The amount of people who knocked and said "I saw your notice, but thought I'd knock just in case" was unbelievable.

I took it down in the end. :)

I've since moved house, now by the time they've walked up my drive, they'd be too knackered to knock :D
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cutecheeks wrote: »
    The amount of people who knocked and said "I saw your notice, but thought I'd knock just in case" was unbelievable.

You see, the majority of cold callers dont actually class themselves as cold callers.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have THIS notice on my door, It is my creation and anyone who wishes to reproduce/copy/print it is welcome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to door knock for Sky and we were told to ignore those signs unless people had more than 1 :confused:

I only did it for 2 weeks, worst job ever!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have THIS notice on my door, It is my creation and anyone who wishes to reproduce/copy/print it is welcome.

Add to that:

* Tossers who try to get me to change my broadband package
    * People trying to get me to change my electricity provider
    * Sky salesmen
    * Trick or treaters
    * People trying to get us to sponsor them for charity

:D
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I lived in my own house, I would certainly have a 'no pedlars' sign outside the house, but mum won't allow me to erect one, so I just ignore the door if, like another poster, I am not expecting anyone.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    If I lived in my own house, I would certainly have a 'no pedlars' sign outside the house, but mum won't allow me to erect one, so I just ignore the door if, like another poster, I am not expecting anyone.

Why will she not allow you to put one up?
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep getting loads of cold callers, religious preachers, utility companies, etc knocking at my door, and I'm not interested in any of them. Recently I've started ignoring the door if I'm not expecting anyone but it's pretty annoying. I've seen signs / stickers on people's houses (usually black and yellow) telling the above people not to call but I don't know where to get one from. They look quite official.

Any suggestions?

i usually look through the window making sure i am seen, then go back to whatever i was doing. i dont ever answer the door unless its someone i know.

i believe the stickers are available from local councils and also on line from money saving expert
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Notices are great PROVIDING THE REP CAN READ!
    Or can be bothered to read it.
    When British gas were doorstepping our area a few years ago they seemed as thick as shxt.
    They kept calling despite the act we were already customers! When i told one of them we were already a customer he asked i i wanted to sign again!!! What a moron.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    every day we would get menus flyers people selling stuff etc.but ever since i taped a printed notice on the letter box i dont get any so do it it works.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These people are a right pain arent they? Like you are going to order anything at the door. Get a big dog and set it on them - only kidding!
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The last time they came round, some bods from Lovefilm at 8pm i.e. when it was dark, I just looked at them through a small gap I'd opened and repeatedly said "quien eres?, que quieres?" at them.
    They didn't hang around.