BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• petestanpetestan Posts: 3,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you posters who are whining about there being to much sport or hating Victoria Derbyshire if you don't like it don't listen to it, you all have a dial or a button that allows you to tune into talk sport or LBC or radio 4 if that's your thing and leave this thread to those of us who do like to listen to 5live.
    No doubt when the Scottish Independence vote is due we will be hearing about it non stop and probably be fed up of hearing about it by the time it actually happens, but that will be news.
    It just happens to be that at this time it's a quiet news time and there is loads of sport going on through the summer.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you already thought you knew the answer, then why ask?
    Well obviously to find out if you knew, you numbnuts :D If someone's not married I can't see how they're committing adultery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petestan wrote: »
    All you posters who are whining about there being to much sport or hating Victoria Derbyshire if you don't like it don't listen to it, you all have a dial or a button that allows you to tune into talk sport or LBC or radio 4 if that's your thing and leave this thread to those of us who do like to listen to 5live.
    No doubt when the Scottish Independence vote is due we will be hearing about it non stop and probably be fed up of hearing about it by the time it actually happens, but that will be news.
    It just happens to be that at this time it's a quiet news time and there is loads of sport going on through the summer.

Quiet news time? Are you joking? There is tons of 'real' news to be discussed other than pointless "Do you feel sorry for Brazil" phone ins and just why should we have to retune to another station? 5live is supposed to be a NEWS and sports channel not just sport. I don't want to listen to LBC - a continous advert interrupted by a few presenters and I don't want to listen to Talksport either. I want a station, like 5live used to be, a good balance of intelligent news reporting and sport, not the dumbed down trivia we get on there now. Why always settle for the lowest common denominator? - 5live should aim higher.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Quiet news time? Are you joking? There is tons of 'real' news to be discussed other than pointless "Do you feel sorry for Brazil" phone ins and just why should we have to retune to another station? 5live is supposed to be a NEWS and sports channel not just sport. I don't want to listen to LBC - a continous advert interrupted by a few presenters and I don't want to listen to Talksport either. I want a station, like 5live used to be, a good balance of intelligent news reporting and sport, not the dumbed down trivia we get on there now. Why always settle for the lowest common denominator? - 5live should aim higher.

Hear Hear, very well put. I am a football fan, but I also find the constant whittering on about football tedious, so I can fully understand what other people think. There is a time for good coverage of football ( which is now in a minority on 5 Live), and it is not just after a three hour breakfast programme when Brazil's defeat seemed to be covered in every other item.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    petestan wrote: »

If you don't want to read it don't read it, you have a mouse that lets you go to another thread and leave this thread to.....

Quite time for news?

Israeli air strikes have killed 47 people in two days, including 12 children.

Half of NHS bosses believe patients will have to pay for some services

Emergency surveillance law to be brought in

Increased airport security checks

Foreign Office 'Cover Up' After Extraordinary Rendition Documents Lost To 'Water Damage'

George Clooney's Daily Mail Attack

Offshore tax dealings: celebrities and sportsmen in leaked Jersey files

Public sector strikes

Opposition to Lady Butler-Sloss as chair of the panel of inquiry into child abuse

Ok I could go on... but you can see there is a wide range of current news stories.

Did we really need another football phone in on a station that is meant to be 75% news, plus an extra Rio Report at 1.30?

If you want a sports news station listen to Talk Sport but 5 live should be doing what it was set up to do.

23 July — 3 August 2014 we have the Commonwealth Games which will presumably result in wall to wall coverage on 5 live with news again being side lined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post streaky...... and no mention of the Nicky Cambell spat with Chris Patten about female radio presenters either....... Hmmmm.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ego's phone in was a Horlicks this morning. Four nutters (are not we all) on the phone simultaneously with the Ego just does not work.

Lbc does not do it. Its not that daft.
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    iandun wrote: »
    That made me giggle :D

Let me in on the joke please, I just don't get it.:confused:

I know as soon as you explain it, I'll feel stupid and shout: "of course, how thick am I?"
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me in on the joke please, I just don't get it.:confused:

I know as soon as you explain it, I'll feel stupid and shout: "of course, how thick am I?"

sorry, it was me who posted the 'joke' it really wasn't that funny... I'll explain and it'll sound even less so! a poster (was it you?) joked about VD hosting a revival of 'Wheel of fortune' and, as one of her stock phrases is 'how does that make you feel?' I just replaced wheel with feel... told you it wasn't that funny lol. I'll get my coat.

and, on another note, I agree with Radio 4extra Crap (something I can say rarely) about the phone-in. It seems to be a 5Live thing of getting multiple callers up at once to shout at each other, and it is utterly pointless.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ego's phone in was a Horlicks this morning. Four nutters (are not we all) on the phone simultaneously with the Ego just does not work.

Lbc does not do it. Its not that daft.
    LBC is a humungous, tabloidy bore run by Global that largely treats its audience like morons. It's only when you've listened to it for a few months that you realise it's like listening to one big tape loop with the same few topics being recycled, with the same mind-numbing adverts popping up every few minutes.

There was a time in the 70s -90s when it was well worth a listen But since Global managed to get their fat, ugly paws on it they have ruined it like they have done with every unfortunate station they own
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. There is no real news discussed anymore on the phone in, just trivia or it's a sport based phone in. Yesterday was the Tour De France, today Brazil v Germany, It is just pathetic. It is not as thought there aren't any proper news stories about to talk about.

On Radio 5 Live's decision to devote yesterday's Your Call phone-in to discussing Brazil's exit from the World Cup on a day when there was a busy domestic and international agenda, I note that they are not planning to broadcast commentary on Brazil's Third Place Play-Off against the Netherlands either on 5 Live or Sports Extra, despite them having the rights to the game and Saturday night otherwise being a pretty quiet period radio-wise.

This for me says a lot about Radio 5 Live and how in my opinion they often get their priorities wrong editorially. You'd struggle to find a bigger football/sports fan than me and I fully accept that sports content should permeate into parts of the schedule normally reserved for other things, especially during big events like the World Cup. But this is not the first and won't be the last example of Radio 5 Live airing lots of chat about high level football, only not to broadcast an actual live commentary of a sporting event they have rights to and are fully able to cover.

I don't buy excuses about cost cutting here - during this World Cup, 5 Live have shown their openness to doing studio-based commentaries on matches they've deemed to be less attractive and difficult to justify a presence at (something I have no problem with) and on Sports Extra they are happy to simulcast BBC Local Radio commentaries on Football League games, county cricket and club games from both rugby codes (something I've consistently championed on here). So I doubt very strongly it's a case of 5 Live not being able to afford to do a commentary of some form, nor do I believe they'd struggle to find an audience for a World Cup game involving Brazil (albeit in the Third Place Play-Off).

I know this is something I and a few others on here regularly go on about, but I really don't get why there needs to be so many football discussion programmes on 5 Live yet actual live commentaries on domestic sport other than Premier League football is usually either shuffled off to Sports Extra or not done altogether.
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    sorry, it was me who posted the 'joke' it really wasn't that funny... I'll explain and it'll sound even less so! a poster (was it you?) joked about VD hosting a revival of 'Wheel of fortune' and, as one of her stock phrases is 'how does that make you feel?' I just replaced wheel with feel... told you it wasn't that funny lol. I'll get my coat.

and, on another note, I agree with Radio 4extra Crap (something I can say rarely) about the phone-in. It seems to be a 5Live thing of getting multiple callers up at once to shout at each other, and it is utterly pointless.

Ahh ... got it.

You're right ;-)
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    A story on bin collections in Bury Greater Manchester

Another report that should be on local radio and not on National radio.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I know it has been mentioned many times but the wicket at the cricket interruptions seem even more annoying and intrusive today.

I never understand why everything else has to be interrupted mid sentence to go to the cricket. If as a listener the cricket is so important to you surely you would be listening to Sport Extra or TMS on R4 LW, if you can't listen to these with people having smartphones they can get the live text commentary. Even if you can't access the cricket in any of these ways why should the flow of items / shows be interrupted spoiling the majority of people's listening who probably are not obsessed with cricket. Why can't news of a wicket falling wait until the sports bulletin or at least the end of the current item?

As usual on 5 live these days sport seems to come first.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    On Radio 5 Live's decision to devote yesterday's Your Call phone-in to discussing Brazil's exit from the World Cup on a day when there was a busy domestic and international agenda, I note that they are not planning to broadcast commentary on Brazil's Third Place Play-Off against the Netherlands either on 5 Live or Sports Extra, despite them having the rights to the game and Saturday night otherwise being a pretty quiet period radio-wise.

This for me says a lot about Radio 5 Live and how in my opinion they often get their priorities wrong editorially. You'd struggle to find a bigger football/sports fan than me and I fully accept that sports content should permeate into parts of the schedule normally reserved for other things, especially during big events like the World Cup. But this is not the first and won't be the last example of Radio 5 Live airing lots of chat about high level football, only not to broadcast an actual live commentary of a sporting event they have rights to and are fully able to cover.

I don't buy excuses about cost cutting here - during this World Cup, 5 Live have shown their openness to doing studio-based commentaries on matches they've deemed to be less attractive and difficult to justify a presence at (something I have no problem with) and on Sports Extra they are happy to simulcast BBC Local Radio commentaries on Football League games, county cricket and club games from both rugby codes (something I've consistently championed on here). So I doubt very strongly it's a case of 5 Live not being able to afford to do a commentary of some form, nor do I believe they'd struggle to find an audience for a World Cup game involving Brazil (albeit in the Third Place Play-Off).

I know this is something I and a few others on here regularly go on about, but I really don't get why there needs to be so many football discussion programmes on 5 Live yet actual live commentaries on domestic sport other than Premier League football is usually either shuffled off to Sports Extra or not done altogether.

It's not just the Beeb though. The Nederlamds coach thinks that the third place play-off is a waste of time. In this case I can only agree with him. It is on ITV so I'll probably watch it, being a football junkie. I haven't however listened to any of 5live's commentaries of any of the matches.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28243020
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    If you don't want to read it don't read it, you have a mouse that lets you go to another thread and leave this thread to.....

Quite time for news?

Israeli air strikes have killed 47 people in two days, including 12 children.

Half of NHS bosses believe patients will have to pay for some services

Emergency surveillance law to be brought in

Increased airport security checks

Foreign Office 'Cover Up' After Extraordinary Rendition Documents Lost To 'Water Damage'

George Clooney's Daily Mail Attack

Offshore tax dealings: celebrities and sportsmen in leaked Jersey files

Public sector strikes

Opposition to Lady Butler-Sloss as chair of the panel of inquiry into child abuse

Ok I could go on... but you can see there is a wide range of current news stories.

Did we really need another football phone in on a station that is meant to be 75% news, plus an extra Rio Report at 1.30?

If you want a sports news station listen to Talk Sport but 5 live should be doing what it was set up to do.

23 July — 3 August 2014 we have the Commonwealth Games which will presumably result in wall to wall coverage on 5 live with news again being side lined.

As soon as you try to discuss Israel/Palestine all the loons from both sides are out in force.

Most of the political elite (and the BBC) are in favour of more draconian laws on freedoms (remember this is the BBC that will send Crapita goons to your home EVEN IF you don't own a TV) so don't expect that to get any coverage.

The NHS is another subject that just sets off the tin foil hat wearers, luckily as someone who wouldn't go near the NHS with a barge pole it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Dodgy tax dealings...OK but you will find half the BBC are up to that as well, so the BBC will try not to mention it, unless it involves Jeremy Clarkson.

Kiddie fiddling. Well the BBC are right in the middle of that one and they tend not to give us phone ins since the Lord McAlpine fiasco and the fat slob Nolan spouting "A senior Tory from the Thatcher era" 200 times in 60 minutes.

Public sector strikes? BBC will really think that might make Labour look unpopular...so don't go there.

Hey I know stick to talking about crappy football instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member

Still think it was a tremendous joke :)
  • mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as you try to discuss Israel/Palestine all the loons from both sides are out in force.

Most of the political elite (and the BBC) are in favour of more draconian laws on freedoms (remember this is the BBC that will send Crapita goons to your home EVEN IF you don't own a TV) so don't expect that to get any coverage.

The NHS is another subject that just sets off the tin foil hat wearers, luckily as someone who wouldn't go near the NHS with a barge pole it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Dodgy tax dealings...OK but you will find half the BBC are up to that as well, so the BBC will try not to mention it, unless it involves Jeremy Clarkson.

Kiddie fiddling. Well the BBC are right in the middle of that one and they tend not to give us phone ins since the Lord McAlpine fiasco and the fat slob Nolan spouting "A senior Tory from the Thatcher era" 200 times in 60 minutes.

Public sector strikes? BBC will really think that might make Labour look unpopular...so don't go there.

Hey I know stick to talking about crappy football instead.

Point taken............. All those reasons are why they should talk about it!!!!! You need a maverick in control at 5live to shake it out of its comfort zone, the BBC are too scared to do it. Nothing should be off the agenda, ok keep it light during the day but night time radio should make you shout at the radio.......(grabs brown paper bag and breaths into it)
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would much prefer to listen to a purposeful BBC than an advert funded Lbc however the latter is stealing a march on Five. Whilst Five is clogging up its schedule with incessant football punditry; it's rival has engaged political heavyweights.

Whether one likes or dislikes them, Boris Johnson, Clegg (spit), Farage, Harman, Livingstone and Mellor and tomorrow evening Iain Dale with George Osborne in my eyes has got to be better listening experience than for example the 20th hour on the airwaves of never beens discussing a bite on a shoulder during a game of football; or discussing the issues surrounding drug usage for the umpteenth time with the same old people.

It's not just the presenters that needed a shake up.
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Heard Sir Trevor Brooking contributing to the golf show tonight. Do you remember when he used to present the Saturday sport show on 5? Now that was awful.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=I know this is something I and a few others on here regularly go on about, but I really don't get why there needs to be so many football discussion programmes on 5 Live yet actual live commentaries on domestic sport other than Premier League football is usually either shuffled off to Sports Extra or not done altogether.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely spot on and very well put. This is even more frustrating when the quality of many of the discussions is so poor, with the same dreary pundits regurgitating the same tired opinions, which they seem to have read in that mornings newspapers.

I think that the ultimate absurdity was when they decided to have a non-league day one Saturday when the Premier League was not playing, without broadcasting a non-league match.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didas wrote: »
    Heard Sir Trevor Brooking contributing to the golf show tonight. Do you remember when he used to present the Saturday sport show on 5? Now that was awful.

I can't remember that but I do remember Richard Littlejohn and David Mellor presenting 606.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iandun wrote: »
    Still think it was a tremendous joke :)

I'll take my compliments where I can find them so thanks! ;)
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damnit, and there was me reading it as a term of abuse. Rodney may be many things, but a gangster he sure aint. I think you know perfectly well in what context the word was used. nice try at being amusing though, shame it failed!

Yes well, thank you so much sir for your enlightening comments and extremely kind words. ;-)

Very much appreciated mate, I'm sure. :)
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didas wrote: »
    Yes, I remember it. He also used to co-commentate on England matches which were shown on BBC1 - the most memorable being, simply because of the result, Germany 1 England 5 back on 1 September 2001 (sadly the day that football commentator Brian Moore died). Trevor always sounded half asleep!
This discussion has been closed.