• spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bullied out
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    I can relate to all of the reasons given here.

I hate my job a lot. Especially recently. It's really getting me down because I am more than capable of doing something worthwhile with my life. But for some reason the thought of quitting and trying something new scares the hell out of me :eek:

Best be getting on with finding something else I say. Your only here once.

I would find it before flouncing out though, you still have to eat
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I relocated for my current job, but I stayed in the same company. I had to give a letter of resignation to my old location, but it was really just a formality as I never left the payroll. I did technically get a new contract for my new position, so my holiday allowance all got reset, which was nice as I was almost out!

The last job I properly quit was around 3 years ago when I worked in a shop. I hated it, I lasted 6 months and then left. I had no other job to go to. They wouldn't give me the holiday time I needed, no one else was off so they were just being spiteful and gave me some silly reasons, none of which I believed, so I just screwed them over, gave minimum notice time and left. I went on holiday, came back and 2 weeks later I moved to another area anyway, so I would have packed it in anyway.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once. Left a job I was in because the opportunity to work in France was too good to turn down.

Im back in that job (in a different department) but currently working on leaving again. Even told my team leader today that if an interview I had yesterday is successful Im handing in my notice.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once. Left a job I was in because the opportunity to work in France was too good to turn down.

Im back in that job (in a different department) but currently working on leaving again. Even told my team leader today that if an interview I had yesterday is successful Im handing in my notice.

That's the spirit right there. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because my boss was a bitch and life is too short, so I quit and got a better one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quit my last job because it was one of the large banks and they were complete sh*ts (Think Bob Diamond)!

My best friend refused to speak to me at one point as I completely lost sight of my values and the person I was.

I ended up depressed and just hating it. The role was nothing like I was told it was going to be like.

Resigning and walking away was the best thing I did - it took me a year and all my savings to recover emotionally and be in a position to feel ready to get back to work.

Am now in a job I really like, where my input is valued and I am valued as part of the wider team.

Walking away was very hard, but the gamble paid off. Life is too short to be that unhappy
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No advancement - despite acting up a grade for a year and getting an excellent appraisal for doing so.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God is a job for life. Well, eternity really. Jesus it's boring :(

Ooops sorry, Son.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    No advancement - despite acting up a grade for a year and getting an excellent appraisal for doing so.

Similar to me. I previously said 'because I got a better one' but what that means in reality was I got one where I got paid what I should have been getting for doing what I was doing in the previous one. When I told my old employer that I'd been offered a new position and was leaving they asked me what the salary was and when I told them they said they could put me up two grades to match it (doing exactly the same stuff I'd been doing). I enjoyed telling them where to stick it after being shafted for so long. Also my commute went from 45 minutes to 10 and I got 10 more days holiday a year so it was a no brainer really.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they weren't teaching me anything, it was all baby work and they never paid me when they said they would.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    That's the spirit right there. :)

I absolutely hate the job but work is work.

In with a chance of getting my old job in Debenhams back though.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was many years ago but, I was only there for a month and was treated like shit by the other staff as the new lad, Blamed for every mistake when I wasn't even on duty and generally treated like dirt.

I stuck it out and ignored this but the final straw came on pay day when I received half of the agreed wage, I went in for my shift and asked the manager why I had received so little and he told me it was a training wage, So I threw my uniform over the counter and walked out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was offered two years salary and a half salary pension so it was a no brainer.

Retired at 52 over 10 years ago:D:D
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never quit a job. I have been fired though :cry:

Edit: I lie. I did walk out of a bar job after an hour, as I felt so sick & I was embarrassed to tell them on my first day, so I just ran away and never went back!
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to quit my job. Can't find anything else, and feeling so trapped has brought on the return of my panic attacks, which I thought I left behind for good seven years ago. Off sick at the moment, the doctor's drugged me up again, supposed to return on Tuesday. How I'll ever manage I don't know. But I don't think I'll get any help, benefits or anything, if I quit. So for the sake of paying the bills my health has to come second :(
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    There wasnt enough to do and the emphasis on "office fun" was too much for me.

My new job is better pay, more to fill the days and make them go faster and no obligation for enforced "fun".
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never quit a job. I've been at my current one for 13 years, hired straight out of university. Before that my only jobs were fixed duration (teaching assistan/tutor for a semester, or contracted to finish specific projects over the summer).

I did hand in a letter of resignation a few years ago, when another company had recruited me and offered a big pay increase, but I ended up taking my company's counter offer and it's worked out well.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Hmm, not too sure whether this thread is an inspirationally good or very bad thing to be reading, when currently I'm lay in bed literally dreading the next working day ahead! My first job out of University - it's seriously soul-destroying, low-level stuff for my chosen field. The only reasons I've stuck at it was because I've made some good pals there and I basically NEED a job and the experience on my CV. And looking through this is really making me wanna take a leaf out of some of your books..:o
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been dreaming of resigning for over a year... never a good sign :o:(