Should Rooney start for England in Brazil?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
Forum Member
Just been listening to a debate about this on radio 5 Live and opinions were mixed as to whether Rooney should start. Scholes made the controversial remark the other day that Rooney is a fading force that faces being dropped. Other big names like David Moyes and Franz Beckenbauer have come to Rooney's defense and said how important he is for England's chances. Personally, I think he's very overrated and I wouldn't pick him if I were the manager. What is the general opinion of this forum?

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely he should, I find it surprising that it's even a debate.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He would still be in my starting eleven for the Italy game. That doesn't mean to say he would be one of the first names on my team sheet any more, but I don't think he's deteriorated to the pont where he deserves to be dropped. Experience must count for something, and unless he's clearly below par I wouldn't want to take the gamble on leaving him out.
    It's not like he's been totally useless, a complete liability..there's been a lot of exaggeration in the talk about his lack of any contribution recently, he's had a few average games that's all..in my opinion of course.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he should start - No question about it.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think he's very overrated

How? Rooney being overrated seems like a popular opinion, so how can he actually be overrated?

I think Rooney's underrated. He's like the go-to guy for everyone to hate.

And yes, if he's fit enough (and not just able to play), he should start.
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    How? Rooney being overrated seems like a popular opinion, so how can he actually be overrated?

I think Rooney's underrated. He's like the go-to guy for everyone to hate.

And yes, if he's fit enough (and not just able to play), he should start.

Yeah, he is definitely underrated now, everyone and their dogs seem to be queuing up to call him shit.

And he should start provided he is enough form to be able to control the ball. When he is out of form, his first touch tends to be awful, if it is good then he should be in the team without a shadow of a doubt.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer Reo-Coker to start, but yeah if not him, then I guess we'll have to make do with Rooney.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    zieler wrote: »
    Yeah, he is definitely underrated now, everyone and their dogs seem to be queuing up to call him shit.

And he should start provided he is enough form to be able to control the ball. When he is out of form, his first touch tends to be awful, if it is good then he should be in the team without a shadow of a doubt.

Yeah whether he starts or not should be based on fitness and if it looks like he can have a good game. He does have a problem where if he's having an off day he can be quite poor...and people remember it.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irrespective of who he is, if there are players in better form in his position then he shouldn't be seen as an automatic starter, especially as his record at major tournaments is not spectacular. He's looking physically fitter and I hope he plays at his best as that'll be hard to displace. In theory him and Sturridge should work well together. Let's see what happens tonight - if Lambert and Sturridge impress and Rooney doesn't then it may not be as clear cut.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me I think he seems to lost his passion for the game. That's for another thread though. I feel he can change a game with a moment of magic, so i think he has to start. His form has to pick up sometime. Hopfully during this World Cup.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he should start, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest of the front players are looking a lot fitter and more mobile than Rooney. Start him for the Italy game perhaps and assess how he much he contributes. Then take his selection for subsequent games from there.
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    For me I think he seems to lost his passion for the game. That's for another thread though. I feel he can change a game with a moment of magic, so i think he has to start. His form has to pick up sometime. Hopfully during this World Cup.

Not a chance. His performances this season show he still has that "passion".
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    I guess the issue is that they are no world class strikers in the England squad ready to take his place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    He's seen by the press and all the coverage as England's star player. Rooney is the one that the papers and talk shows are always going on about and what a dreadful blow it would be if he wasn't fit. I think that makes him overrated because if you just look at the contribution he has made in the last few major tournaments it has been disappointing at best. Does anybody really think this world cup will be any different?
    Ads wrote: »
    I guess the issue is that they are no world class strikers in the England squad ready to take his place.
    I think that does have a lot to do with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely, only England player who can produce something from nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Does Dolly Parton sleep on back?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's seen by the press and all the coverage as England's star player. Rooney is the one that the papers and talk shows are always going on about and what a dreadful blow it would be if he wasn't fit. I think that makes him overrated because if you just look at the contribution he has made in the last few major tournaments it has been disappointing at best. Does anybody really think this world cup will be any different?

That's the problem though, isn't it ? Rooney (at his best) is one of the few genuine world class players we possess. Even at 80% he's been better in the past than those challenging for his place. Things may be about to change with the young players coming through, but I think it's too early to write him off yet. If he loses his place and a new star emerges during this World Cup, that's the way it goes.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Had a couple of good games at euro 2004 and has stunk out every tournament since

He will start though
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Definitely, only England player who can produce something from nothing.

This
    He doesn't half pick up some unwarranted shit from the so called fans.
    Maybe if everybody got behind him and showed him a bit of love he might actually have the major championship we all want him to have, and most sensible people know he is capable of having.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    He's one of two players we have that have shown over the years they can produce something brilliant out of nothing and change a game, even if his overall contribution is poor. However, I think we've now got young players in the squad that are capable of taking his place.

Roy has a incredibly difficult task because if he puts his faith in Rooney and he has another poor tournament the manager will be pilloried for not having the balls to drop him and give a youngster a chance. Conversely, if he picks Barkley (for example) instead and he plays poorly the media will be asking why Rooney was not picked.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't start with him. I would like the team to play with freedom, without his presence on the pitch. England as a team, haven't achieved anything in 58 years with or without Rooney, so they've got nothing to lose by not including him in the starting eleven.

Also, I don't like this idea that he is the exception to being dropped or not selected, where as every other player is fair game.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    48 years.
    And nobody is saying he shouldn't be dropped if he isn't performing.
    But i think he has earned the right to start the tournament in the team.
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for dropping Rooney and trying something, anything, different. But perhaps that's why my career in football management hasn't taken off.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Chamberlain is out, yeah i do think he should start.

I wanted us to go with
    Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Shaw

Gerrard Barkley

Sterling Lallana Chamberlain

Sturridge

Now that Chamberlain is injured i would put Lallana on the wing and Rooney behind the striker.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    No, he shouldn't start. He's had enough chances and simply doesn't perform for England.

Barkley should be in the role behind the striker.